Stan Hutson

Need some help

14 posts in this topic

As many know since April I was training for deployment to Afghanistan and am now here. So I missed the Shiloh anniversary and etc. Having a little bit of time now, wondered if anyone that was present at Shiloh for the 150th events, did the park have some kind of commemorative/keepsake brochure or pamphlet? If so I want to try to get my hands on one.

Stan

Howdy Stan. I hope to be the one to have the honor to help out, in a small way, a GI who is helping me out by protecting my tush! I'm not much on mementos, but I did want one from the 150th, so I bought a little 3" wide, 2" high, 1/2" deep piece of wood with a imbeded commerative coin.

post-24-0-36933900-1348069971_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-29795400-1348069992_thumb.jpg

Here it is on my mantle, with the Minie balls given to me that generous Unreconstructed Rebel C.D.

post-24-0-26606500-1348074205_thumb.jpg

I am going down to Corinth in the first week of Oct. and would be proud to stop by the bookstore and pick one up for you, if they still have them. IM me your address and I'll give it my best shot.

Jim

Stan, glad to see you're back safe and sound. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think the park issued any commemorative pamphlets or the like, or at least I just don't remember any. As Jim mentioned, they were selling some mementos related to the 150th in the book store, and may still have some. Aside from that however, I don't recall anything from the NPS.

Perry

Perry........Jim is right I am not home yet. Been here in Afghanistan about 2 months. Got 7 more to go. I would have figured that the park would have had a commemorative brochure or something. I know Antietam had one and a buddy is sending me an extra one he got while he was up there for the anniversary.

Bad news Stan. The little blocks pictured above (paperweights as the gent in the bookstore called em) were a limited edition for the Anniversary. They did have a collectors coin I liked:

post-24-0-71473700-1349146532_thumb.jpg

so I bought both of us one. I also gave Mona your address as she has some local literature she wishes to send you.

Sharon, the bookstore has a tree ornament that was issued for the 150th in April. The storekeeper doesn't know if they planned to issue another for Xmass or not. He suggested you contact Karen Jaggers at KarenJaggers@easternnnational.org or 731-689-3475 about it or any other questions about the bookstore.

Jim

Sharon, I talked to Karen Jaggers about the Xmass tree ornament. She said the ornament for the 150th was for this years tree and is the only one to be issued.

Jim

I had to go to Vicksburg to find out an interesting fact about the Shiloh 150th limited edition paperweights:

post-24-0-70100400-1373384731_thumb.jpg

There wasn't one for the Corinth 150th, just the coin. I figured it may be due to the fact that they didn't anticipate as large a crowd as Shiloh's 150th. When I couldn't find one in the Vicksburg bookstore, I inquired about it. The young lady I asked laughed and said that the Shiloh paperweight was an interesting story. It seems that during the first stamping of the coin, an error was found on the back, so they put them into the wood blocks. Now I have a massive desire to take the coin out of the block and see the back. That would probably decrease it's value and tends to go against the grain. I wonder if Bailey will let me borrow the one I gave him?!?!

Jim

Good news. Stan has returned stateside. I received this from him

post-24-0-71204200-1378046915_thumb.jpg

Stan, I'll never be able to thank you enough. I also want to thank you for the great letter and button.

Jim