Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Transylvania

Tracing Trabue's April 6 Route

9 posts in this topic

On April 4, I propose to follow a portion of the route of Trabue's Brigade taken during the action of April 6.  I am still working out the exact details of the route, but I may start at Water Oaks Pond.  Buskwacking will be required for much of the excursion (Gentsch and Skapteson have trained me well).  I will not have prepared much commentary beyond Trabue's report in the OR.  If I am reading Dr Gentsch's synopsis of his April 6 morning Assault on the Federal Right Flank hike correctly, my excursion will pick up where his ends.

I expect to start at about 1400 on April 4 and suspect that the jaunt will take a couple of hours to complete.  I would be delighted others would join me.  Please drop me a note if you would like to participate, so that we can exchange telephone numbers.  I will be driving downrom Louisville earlier on the 4th and will need to contact you in the event that my approach to the battlefield is even more delayed than Buell's.

I would really like to accompant you but since i will not be working the 5/6/7/8th I really need to be at work.unless you want to start later. Ive got 3-6 pm on the 5th open .and will be there inbetween hikes.

Mona

I was hoping that you could join me, but I have Professor Gentsch's hike on the Fifth and am still wearing my "winter fat."  I don't want to tempt fate by attempting to do too much on the Fifth.  But if circumstances permit, I could repeat the exercise on the Fifth, so I won't rule it out.  

I am scouting Trabue's route in preparation for a Not-So-Epic hike in November in the event that Dr Smith's Epic Hike is at Shiloh (or Corinth) this year.

My plan is park at Water Oaks Pond or at Confederate Burial Trench #3, visit Tablet 448, and then bushwack to the southern boundary of Cavalry Field, passing Tablet 349 (Gibson's Brigade - 2nd Day) along the way.  I will then bushwack up the draw (or perhaps on the high ground to its left) to Stacey Field to receive the surrender of various Federals (I suspect that I have been up this draw once or twice with Professor Gentsch).  From there, I (or we) will head back to the parked vehicle(s) along the Corinth Road.

David W. Reed's map shows Trabue as being on the edge of Cavalry Field, which is why I am heading there.

1 person likes this

i will be on that hike on the 5th...so we'll see.ok?i do think that our fall hike will be back at shiloh.

1 person likes this

I figured that you would be on the Gentsch hike of April 5th and agree that we can make a call then. Of course, the weather may interfere on either day.  The extended forecast looks a little dicey for next week, although I don't put much credence on forecasts a week in advance.

2 people like this

I have the honor to report that I covered the route of Trabue's Brigade from Crescent Field to Cloud Field twice last week, once on the 4th with Hank and again the next day with Mona. The earlier hike was more of a reconnaissance, getting a lay of the land.  On the 5th, Mona and I explored the route in a more detail and resolved some issues which I could not figure out the first time.  The hike entailed considerable bushwacking.  As an added bonus, Mona showed a secret or two of the Park to me.

If circumstances permit, I will lead more formal hike with commentary on the day following Dr Smith's Epic Hike next fall (commentary on this hike as pretty much limited to Trabue's report in the OR).

2 people like this

All right, All ready, What's the secret or two that Mona spilled the beans on.  you brought it up but then left us hanging.  I can't get to sleep wondering what they can be.  If you don't tell us what they are, I will send my flock of flying bulls direct to your location.  Just think how much fun that will b

come on Mona, fill us in. 

Ron.

Ron, the land of the Quaker cannon where you first revealed the existence of the Raging Flock of Bulls will be becoming part of the Park in the future. Doc Patterson is selling it to the Civil War Trust.

14 hours ago, Ron said:

All right, All ready, What's the secret or two that Mona spilled the beans on.  you brought it up but then left us hanging.  I can't get to sleep wondering what they can be.  If you don't tell us what they are, I will send my flock of flying bulls direct to your location.  Just think how much fun that will b

come on Mona, fill us in. 

Ron.

It wouldn't be a secret if we told you.  To learn such things, one must go on Not-So-Epic Hikes.

1 person likes this