Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

2017 Epic Trek Topic Announcement

Perry Cuskey    257

Hi Folks,

After heading up to Fort Donelson this past fall, we're returning to Shiloh for our next Epic Trek adventure with historian Tim Smith. This time we're going to focus on Lew Wallace and his controversial role in the battle. Tim is going to lead us on a combined driving/walking tour of Wallace's infamous march from Crump's Landing to the battlefield on April 6th, and explore the controversies surrounding this march. After lunch, we'll then re-trace Wallace's fighting advance on April 7th as part of the Union counter-attack. 

In 2005, Tim led a small group of rangers and historians on what was likely the first complete re-tracing of Wallace's march since the battle, so he knows the ground and the subject well. 

The hike will take place on Saturday, November 11th, 2017 - Veterans Day. We'll have more information later, but I wanted to get this out there so everyone can start planning to join us. :) It should be another great hiking adventure, so mark it on your calendars and make plans to be there! 

Perry

• Like 4

Transylvania    73

Excellent!

Circumstances permitting, I will lead the Not-So-Epic Hike on November 11, covering the actions of Trabue's Brigade on April 6.  Details to follow.

• Like 1

Transylvania    73
2 hours ago, Michele said:

11th or 12th Transylvania?

Thanks for catching that - Not-So-Epic Hike on the Sunday, November 12.

mtalplacido    33

I hope I can make this one.  Might be tough because Michele and I will be in  Gettysburg the following weekend for the Remembrance Day celebrations.  I might be able to sneek away for both.

• Like 3

Perry Cuskey    257

Man, that would be a good trip. And you know, as long as you're already in Tennessee and heading to Gettysburg, you may as well stop off at Perryville, Chickamauga, Stone's River, the Shenandoah Valley, Harper's Ferry, Antietam......

• Like 2

mona    133

mike...im not sure of the cost this year but Perry usually has everybody pay in advance --so we have a headcount look back at previous years hilke info and it should be there and then just send him a message and he'll explain..looking forward to meeting you..and we'll have lunch somewhere along the way..i have lunch onboard for everybody.

• Like 2

Mike    1

Hello Mona. I have watched videos of prior years' hikes on YouTube and, since my re-enactment group portrays a unit that was part of Wallace's Division, I am excited about the opportunity to retrace their footsteps.  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone as well.