Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ozzy

Tennessee Governor

6 posts in this topic

Here's an easy question (or is it?)

At the time of the Battle of Shiloh, who was the Governor of Tennessee?

Ozzy 

Could it be that inebriated tailor Andrew Johnson?

1 person likes this

Transylvania

Since everyone knows Isham Harris was the Governor of Tennessee -- present at Battle of Shiloh -- I will recognize your revelation as correct. At the time of Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee had two Governors: elected-Governor Harris administered Confederate-controlled Tennessee; and Military Governor Johnson administered Union-occupied territory.

Andrew Johnson was a 52-year-old member of the U.S. Senate from Tennessee, elected to his 6-year term in 1857, and in 1861 became the only member from a seceded State to remain in the U.S. Senate. Upon the occupation of Nashville, former capital of Tennessee, by Army of the Ohio in February 1862, the Federal-controlled territory within the State was in need of a Federal-aligned administrator. And on March 3rd Andrew Johnson left the Senate and accepted appointment as Military Governor (and was also awarded rank of Brigadier General). Governor Johnson arrived in Nashville in March (Governor Harris having relocated himself -- and the Tennessee General Assembly -- to Memphis, capital of Confederate Tennessee, on February 20th.) From then on, there was a Federal-recognized Military Governor, and a Confederate-recognized Governor, practically until the end of the war.

[A few items concerning Andrew Johnson you may not know: he was Governor of Tennessee from 1853- 1857 (immediately before Isham Harris); during his time in the U.S. Senate, Johnson introduced a Homestead Bill (passed into law in 1862) that many Union soldiers made use of after the war, along with a flood of immigrants, and "settled" the American West; Johnson was replaced by Parson Brownlow in 1864, was elected Vice-President, and became President upon the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in April 1865.]

Well Done, Transylvania!

Ozzy

1 person likes this

I would like to point out that in one of your recent Pop Quizzes I made Isham Harris to be the Confederate Governor of Kentucky, much to my eternal shame.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Transylvania said:

I would like to point out that in one of your recent Pop Quizzes I made Isham Harris to be the Confederate Governor of Kentucky, much to my eternal shame.

i knew that was a typo..you are forgiven

1 person likes this

I like Mona's response... Here's mine:  With all the Johnstons... Johnsons... Hickenloopers... Wallaces... and more Governors than there were States for them to govern... it's a wonder we can keep a majority of the balls in the air when juggling this story.

Regards

Ozzy

1 person likes this