Shiloh Discussion Group

Ozzy    424

Did you know William C. Carroll [NY Times] and Frank Chapman [NY Herald] are the main contenders for "First Northern reporter to get his copy on the wires from the Battle of Shiloh" ? Or that famed New York Herald reporter, Henry Villard, travelled with Buell's Army of the Ohio to Pittsburg Landing? How about Irving Carson [Chicago Tribune] who moonlighted for General Grant as courier (and became the first reporter killed during the Civil War, at Shiloh on Day One)? The Historical Dictionary of War Journalism covers the profession of "reporting the war" from the Mexican War of 1846 through to the 1991 Gulf War... and for our purposes, more than adequately covers Shiloh, with biographies and lists [see Appendix D], including:

• Whitelaw Reid [Cincinnati Gazette]
  • Ned Spencer [Cincinnati Times]
  • H.M. Bentley [Philadelphia Inquirer]
  • J.B. McCullagh [quit Cincinnati Gazette to work for Cincinnati Commercial, due dispute over Shiloh report]

Even sketch artists are included [some of whom published written reports, as well as sketches.] And there are a few surprises [such as the claim that noted reporter, Sylvanus Cadwallader (Chicago Times -- NY Herald -- Milwaukee Daily News) first came to U.S. Grant's attention in August 1862, when he is said to have been "ordered to be placed under arrest by General Sherman."]

The Historical Dictionary of War Journalism, created by Mitchel Roth (with editorial assistance from James S. Olson) was published by Greenwood Press of Westport, Connecticut in 1997, and is available for purchase on Amazon.com (or can be viewed at most good libraries across the world, including here in Adelaide... yes, this is a shameless plug for my old employer, Barr Smith Library).

You can't tell the players, without a program; and you can't find the stories, unless you know who wrote them.

Ozzy

N.B.  Of course, the first telegraphed news from Shiloh... was General Beauregard's April 6th report -- direct to Richmond -- and beat everyone else.

And although this next link is not directly associated with The Historical Dictionary of War Journalism, it does contain images of most of the Northern reporters working in the Western Theatre during the Civil War:  http://www.thebohemianbrigade.com/alfred4.html  

rwaller    70

Fascinating Ozzy. I actually have that book, can't remember where I got it, I think I paid a buck for it. It seemed to be heavily weighted toward the eastern theater of war. I will revisit it. Thomas Nast had an interesting career. Winslow Homer, I was just thinking about one of his paintings, 'the veteran in a new field ' 1865, shows a veteran back home after the war working with a sythe harvesting a field of grain.

• Like 1

Ozzy    424

Roger

When you were enquiring about "reporters from Chicago papers" a while back, I thought of this book (but had forgotten its name.) Just re-discovered it recently, in conjunction with a study of Henri Lovie.

As regards "reporters from Chicago," the situation of Sylvanus Cadwallader (mentioned in above post) seems indicative of the norm: that reporter represented three newspapers. Another reporter, Henry Villard, had a contract with the New York Herald that permitted him to correspond (by letter) with the Cincinnati Commercial and the Chicago Tribune...and Villard was also under contract with the AP (Associated Press). [I'm in process of reading Henry Villard's Memoirs, now... absolutely fascinating. Met W.T. Sherman at Louisville; got to know D.C. Buell (Sherman's replacement); and had several meetings with Abraham Lincoln (before and after Lincoln became President.) See link below.]

All the best

Ozzy

Reference:  http://archive.org/stream/memoirshenry01villrich#page/226/mode/2up/search/Herald  Villard's Memoirs (chapter on Western Theatre begins page 208, and chapter on Shiloh begins page 221.)

N.B.  Henry Villard reports in his Memoirs that after securing the contract with the New York Herald and AP, he was earning over $3000 per year (half the salary of a Lincoln Cabinet officer, and twenty-times the annual pay of a Private fighting in the War... just for a bit of perspective.)

Ozzy    424

Another set of circumstances to ponder...

In Henry Villard's Memoirs, page 245, he admits to "accompanying General Nelson's men to the top of the bluff late on Sunday, and having as little idea what had happened to Grant's army [over the course of April 6th] as General Buell himself." Yet, this lack of information did not stop Henry Villard from constructing a complete report on Battle of Shiloh, which he filed with his contracted papers within a few scant days. How was he able to do this? Interviews, after the fact.

Same with Whitelaw Reid. Although he had familiarity with the camp grounds at Crumps and Pittsburg Landing, and had met, or acquired information, over the preceding weeks IRT the main Federal players, he had inadvertently arrived late, morning of April 6th, so had no direct knowledge of occurrences prior to his arrival at Pittsburg aboard the Tigress

Another factor that becomes evident in Henry Villard's Memoirs: the importance of his horse. On pages 245-6 mention is made of the reporter's efforts to prevent himself being separated from his main mobility source overnight on April 6th; and early on Monday morning "being up with Nelson's staff officers," and then "accompanying the ambulances, following behind Nelson on Day Two."

Whitelaw Reid admits in his un-edited 19,000-word report of the Battle that in order to get from Crumps to Pittsburg Landing on the morning of April 6th, he "hastily sprang onto the guards of a passing steamer."  Where is mention of Agate's horse?

Ozzy

References:  http://archive.org/stream/memoirshenry01villrich#page/246/mode/2up/search/Herald  Henry Villard's Memoirs

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SDU18620521&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1   Agate's report in Sacramento Daily Union of May 21st 1862, pages 2 and 3.

• Like 1