Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

Whitelaw Reid

Ozzy    424

Here are a series of questions, posed as statements -- either True or False -- regarding the career of Cincinnati Gazette reporter Whitelaw Reid and his 19,000-word, un-edited version of "The Great Battle of Pittsburg Landing" [link to article below]:

1.  "The Great Battle of Pittsburg Landing" was the first and only report written by Reid in vicinity of Savannah/Pittsburg Landing: [T or F].
  2.  Whitelaw Reid claims in the above article that he awoke on the morning of April 6th 1862 in Lew Wallace's camp at Crump's Landing: [T or F].
  3.  It is Reid's claim that W.T. Sherman's Division received the first assault of the Rebel army on the morning of April 6th: [T or F].
  4.  According to Whitelaw Reid's article, General Grant arrived at Pittsburg Landing, Day One, before 8am: [T or F].
  5.  From the above article, it is clear that Reid's "Hero of Shiloh" was not Sherman, Prentiss or Wallace: it was the man who "invested the golden minutes that counted," Colonel Joseph Webster [True or False].

Bonus:  After filing his report and spending a week in Cincinnati, Whitelaw Reid returned to Pittsburg Landing and {along with thirty other reporters and sketch artists) covered General Halleck's operation against Corinth. On completion of this duty, Reid was awarded with assignment as the Cincinnati Gazette's Correspondent for Washington, D.C.  But in Autumn 1862 Reid returned to the field to cover General Buell's Kentucky Campaign; and he returned to the field, again, in 1863 to cover Gettysburg [True or False].

Not as easy as it looks...

Ozzy

Reference:     http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SDU18620521&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1  "The Great Battle of Pittsburg Landing" by Agate [Whitelaw Reid] found in Sacramento Daily Union of May 21st 1862 pages 2 and 3.  [Thanks to Hank for finding this uncut version of Whitelaw Reid's Shiloh account.]

mona    133

i'll take a chance..was hard to read --no blame but on me i cant figure how to get the green color off--but 2-false he was at crump's 1-false -because he returns with others about a week later 3-true along with prentiss  4-false he writes it was after 10am 5-true..he galantly describes websters actions on the 6th  6-i have no idea  couldnt read that part

• Like 1

Ozzy    424

Mona

I believe you deserve the honours of Winner of the Quiz... having overcome the "green background" and the faded print. Whitelaw Reid's impressive effort was sent by steamer to San Francisco (Pony Express no longer in operation) and was printed in its entirety; while "back East," many newspapers published a condensed version of the same article that bore little resemblance to the original. [By eliminating whole passages, those lines that remained gained undue emphasis:  "the failure of the 12th Iowa, 14th Iowa and 23rd Missouri" ...the slumbering Federal soldiers "bayoneted in bed" ...even Agate's claim that "he awoke on Sunday morning, April 6th at Crump's Landing" is missing from the condensed versions (helping give ammunition to the belief "he was never there, at Battle of Shiloh").

Again, Well Done for correctly solving this latest puzzle

Ozzy

• Like 1