Jump to content
Shiloh Discussion Group


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 08/28/2011 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    Found this to be an interesting account- **John Jackman was a member of the Confederate military unit from Kentucky that came to be known as the "Orphan Brigade." During his tour of duty, he made many diary entries recording his experiences. Most of the entries describe being cold, sick, and hungry. Fortunately for us, he was often too sick to fight and so survived the Civil War to publish this account. The following entries describe his experiences at the Battle of Shiloh, near Corinth, MS. In this entry, he makes fun of a fellow Confederate soldier he calls "Brown Jeans" who does not speak proper English and is unable to afford a proper uniform.** April 5th, 1862 This morning, felt completely broken down. The wagon was so heavily loaded, and behind too, I had to try it afoot again -- the train rolled past me, and I was left a complete straggler. A staff officer, in charge of the rear, ordered me back to Corinth, but as soon as he was gone, I kept ahead. The next house I came to I stopped. The lady gave me some milk and bread to eat. I felt so bad, I thought I would go no further. Soldiers were straggling along all day. That evening, there was some artillery firing towards Shiloh. Again had fever that night. April 6th This day will long be remembered. Soon after the sun had risen, the firing of artillery became so general, and the roar of musketry could be heard so distinctly, I knew the battle had commenced. I wished to be on the field, but was not able to walk so far. The gentleman with whom I was staying had his only remaining horse caught, which I mounted. When I bade "mine hostess" good bye, she looked very "sorrowful" -- which affected me not a little & I never knew why she took such an interest in me. The gentleman walked and kept up. Four miles brought us to Monterey, and just beyond, we met some of the wounded on foot with their arms and heads bound up in bloody bandages, & I felt then that I was getting in the vicinity of the "warfare." Soon we met ambulances and wagons loaded with wounded, and I could hear the poor fellows groaning and shrieking, as they were being jolted over the rough road. Met a man on horseback with a stand of captured colors. We were now in proximity of the fighting, and we met crowds of men; some crippling along, wounded in the legs or about the body; others, no blood could be seen about their persons -- yet all seemed bent on getting away. I now dismounted and started on foot. I never saw the gentleman afterwards, who had kindly brought me so far on the road. Being in so much excitement, I became stronger. I met a fellow dressed in a suit of "butter-nut" jeans, who was limping, but I don't believe was scratched. He asked me, in that whining way: "Has you'ns been in the fight yet?" I thought he meant some general, and asked my "brown" interrogator what troops General "Youens" commanded. He seemed astounded, and at last made me understand him. I told him "no," and went on. I afterwards got quite familiar with the "youens" and "weens" vernacular of "Brown Jeans." While passing a hospital on the roadside, I happened to see one of our company lying by a tent wounded. I went out to see him, and there found the brigade hospital established. There were heaps of wounded lying about, many of them I knew, and first one then another would ask me to give him water or do some other favor for him. While I was thus occupied, Dr. P told me to stay with him, that I was not able to go on the field -- that I would be captured. There was no one to help him, and I turned surgeon, pro tempore. I was not able to do much, but rendered all the assistance in my power. Part of my business was to put patients under the influence of chloroform. I kept my handkerchief saturated all the time, and was often dizzy from the effects myself. It was about one o'clock in the day, when I got there. All day long the battle raged. Occasionally there would be a lull for a short time; but the cannon were never entirely hushed. They would break out in increased thunder, and the roar of the musketry would roll up and down the lines, vibrating almost regularly from one extreme to the other. All day long the ambulances continued to discharge their loads of wounded. At last night set in, and the musketry ceased; but the Federal gunboats continued shelling awhile after dark. Nearly midnight when we got through with the wounded. A heavy rain set in. I was tired, sick and all covered with blood. But I was in far better fix than many that were there. I sat on a medicine chest in the surgeon's tent, and "nodded" the long night through.
  2. 1 point
    Thanks Perry. Here's an excerpt from a family webpage, written by my 2nd cousin, Ruth Dalton, who has done the most research. She is old enough to have overheard conversations by people who were there. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/a/l/Christopher-R-Dalton/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0036.html "James W. Cantrell's home was used as a hospital during the Battle of Shiloh, and although he had died in l858, his second wife, Eunice, and their children were living in the home just before the battle. Also one of James' sons, John N. (the Uncle Nel I mentioned before-jrd) and his wife and Children were living just down the hill and they were all warned by scouts that there would be a large battle in just a few days and they should vacate well away from the premices. They loaded covered wagons with as much belongings, clothes, food, and supplies as possible, and tied a milk cow to the back of each wagon and headed toward Corinth, Ms. It is not known by me just how far away they traveled, but they did survive, but it is doubtful they could again live in their homes there. Contrary to what is printed on markers in the park, the Cantrells had some men move the old log cabin now displayed inside the park moved to near its present location for different family members to live in. The first field tent hospital in history of the Army was set up just behind James Cantrell's home. Inside the home was used for surgery. In the l890s, when the National Military Park Systen sent historians to Shiloh, Tn. to gather the history of the area and determine where the important spots were to mark and give a blt of the history of the spot, the Cantrell men would tell them nothing. They resented their community being so torn up. Actually the Cantrell property was in the middle of the worst part of the battle. When Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston was shot, he was pulled down into a ravine which was a part of John N. Cantrell's horse lot behind his barn." Jim
  • Create New...