Shiloh Discussion Group
Manassas1

Future of the Shiloh National Military Park

Hello Everyone......

With the anniversary of the national parks' celebration approaching, I've been thinking about the future of Shiloh National Military Park.

In its report a few years ago, The National Parks and Conservation Association (NPCA) mentioned that Shiloh's administrative history of the park was written in 1954 and a General Management Plan was published in 1980.

Does anyone know if a new or revised Shiloh General Management Plan was written since 1980? If so, does anyone have a copy? For that matter, does anyone have a copy of the 1980 document? I would hate to think that the Shiloh National Military Park staff are working from a Plan that is over 30 years old!!!

I know budget is a major factor in staffing and running a national park. Lord knows, the Shiloh staff is doing amazing things considering how frugal Congress (both sides of the house) have been in providing funding.

As someone who has enjoyed the Park in the past, I would like to read the most recent Shiloh General Management Plan to see what the future holds and I'd encourage others to do so, as well. With a little education, we may discover some areas where we might be able to make a difference.

The Manassas Belle

Mike.......

I've seen the Centennial Initiatives. That is not the General Management Plan. From what I understand, one of the Centennial Initiatives for the Park is to write a NEW General Management Plan that will replace the 30 year old General Management Plan that are now working from. Let's hope that initiative becomes a reality!! Should be interesting reading.

THE MANASSAS BELLE