Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Burial Site

While doing research for another topic, came on a reference to burials of confederate dead at Mickey's House. The report of Colonel Robert Trabue, see page 614, Report #226 of Volume 10 of the Official Records of the Civil War, He states "Arrived at Mickey's House (where a large hospital with 400 or 500 wounded men, a part of whom were federal prisoners). We remained there for 3 days, laboriously engaged in removing the wounded, burying the dead, and sending forward captued property". This is the location shown on period maps as Mickey's or Mickies' and is about 1 1/2 miles below the site of the skirmish at Fallen Timbers on the Corinth Road.

The question I want to ask concerns those burials. Is it currently signed as a battle related historical site? Is it still a burial site? Has the remains been removed to other locations? Is the area signed in any manner or has the role of this property been kept quiet? I am anxious for any info concerning the confederate campsites, events along the Corinth road during the retreat. I'm finding many things took place along this route connceted with the rebel army and the welfare of the soldiers. Events such as, how was it possible for General Breckinridge to find food for his men of his rearguard units at or near Mickey's, enough for at least 1 1/2 days supply. Locate food in the middle of a rain storm, mud swollen roads, no or little shelter against the weather? How was that possible????

Ron

I don't know but I would hope they did something fitting for the brave soldiers that died there. I'll be down there Tuesday looking around, don't know if I can find anything out though.

Mike

mickey's was located in what is now pebble hill. there are unmarked graves in the cemetery there that are supposed to be confederate graves. most of the graves were excavated in 1867 to determine which army they belonged to, if they were union they went to the national cemetery if confederate they went into one of the burial trenches on the park. there is a marker there for the hospital but not much else, it has been in private hands all this time, there is an old house from early 1900's where the mickey house was.