Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Members of the Polk family of Tennessee

Quick quiz, name three members of the Polk Family of Tennesseepresent at the Battle of Shiloh. For extra at-a-boy points, tell what was their relationship in the family was. For a lot of extra at-a-boy points, name a famous family menber deceased before the civil war.

Leonidas Polk- second cousin, Lucius Polk- nephew to Leonidas, drawing a blank on the other. The last question I'm gonna say ole James K.

I'm not going to lie, Leonidas and James K. were relatively simple, I had to look up Lucius, no luck on the third.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I must have really asleep at the switch to have written the post below. It was impossible for ex-President James Polk to have been at Shiloh as he died about 11 years before the battle. I meant to say Lucius Polk. Yes, President Polk is correct as the famous family member.

Leonidas Polk and President James K Polk are correct. I thought President Polk (Yes, President as in President of the United States) would give some trouble. I have not heard of Lucius so he would make four Polk's. Two more to go. Lots and lots of at-a-boys coupons still available.

Ron

An interesting sidenote, Two presidents who lived very close to each other, James Polk and Andrew Jackson. Jackson gets all of the headline but the ratings of Polk were higher. Ratings by all those experts. I never would have thought this possible.

Time to end the mystery and suspense about the Polks. President Polk, a important family member was one I thought would have been easy but not so. Captain Marshal Polk was a battery commander in Polk's Corps and was severly wounded on April 6th, loosing a leg which was amputated at the Widow Howell's cabin. Also on the field was 2Lt. William Mecklenburg Polk, a son of Leonidad Polk. William called meck and was with Bankhead's Battery also in Polk's Corps. That makes Leonidas, Lucien, Marshal and William.

Ron