Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Perry Cuskey

Announcement from the old board

Hi everyone,

You remember a few weeks back I said there were changes on the way? Well, it's time to let you in on that.

The big change is that our discussion group will soon be moving to a new home. We're going to have a new board, at a new location. Still working out the details, but barring any unforeseen glitches, it should happen within the next couple of weeks.

A couple of important points about the move -

First, as I've been told by both the current hosting company here at getphpbb, and the new hosting company, we won't lose any of the discussions from the current board. They will be transferred over to the new board intact.

Just as important, and in fact more so to me, your membership details from this board should also transfer to the new board intact. I wanted to make sure this was possible before deciding to move to a new board. The backup plan would be to have everyone sign up at the new board, but I hate having to make all of you basically join this group twice. Especially if it isn't necessary. And it doesn't look like it will be.

The way it should work is this. Once the new board is ready to go, I will post a note here on the current board, giving you a link to the new location. At that point you should be able to just head over to the new board, sign in as usual, and be good to go. I will also send out an email announcement to all the members.

Why the move? Well, I wanted to wait until we reached the magic number of 32 members. :)

Seriously, there are few basic reasons. The current board is not bad at all, but it's somewhat limiting, and the address is a true jaw-breaker. The new board should help in that regard. It should raise our visibility a little, making it easier for people to find us. And if you want to direct someone to the group, you won't have to give them a 15-syllable web address. Plus, I think you'll find some of the features over there to be a little more user-friendly than what we have here. And the new board should give us a little more flexibility. I'm also hoping the new board will fit into the future plans that I have for this discussion group. But that's for down the road.

One other point that I need to bring up. I'm arranging to have a download of the database from the current board, which is how we're going to be able to transfer everything to the new board. But, I don't know exactly when this download will take place. I'm told it should be within the next five days, but I do not have a definite date or time. And I have no control over that.

So we have a bit of a dilemma. I can't guarantee that any posts after today will be included in the download. And anything not there won't get transferred to the new board. So any new discussions or replies may or may not make the new board, depending on when the download takes place.

For now, you can either hold off on starting new discussions till we're on the new board - or - if you post something to this board that you think you'd want to keep, simply do a copy-and-paste of the post, and save it to a file on your computer. That way you'll have it even if it isn't in the download, and if need be you can post it on the new board.

Of course, if you're not worried about it being transferred, it's no problem. :)

As I'm told, this board will not disappear once the download takes place, or even when the new board is up. But, once the new board is up and running and I see we have the members all transferred, I will be locking this board to further posts.

It's possible that the board will briefly be taken offline while the download is in progress. I don't honestly know, but if you should try to sign onto the board and get an error message, don't be concerned. Or if you are, send me an email. Once I know for sure that the download has taken place, I will let everyone know.

Feel free to post any questions or concerns here.

Perry