Shiloh Discussion Group
Ron

Federal Gunboat

Here is your next quiz. Its a simple question but may cause you some difficulty. What was the name of a federal gunboat that was named after a Confederate town during its war time service. Clues can be had for a slight fee.

The grand prize is all of the tea in China, fob Peking, China.

Quizmaster.

Yes, a correct answer. It was the Eastport, a confederate gunboat under construction on the Tennessee River and was captured by the federal navy because???? Yes, it was not completed and was on land. The federals put it in the water and towed it away. They completed the boat and it served the union navy well on the western rivers until it was sunk by a mine on the Red River near Montgomery Arkansas on April 26, 1864. The loss of this gunboat in early 1862, was deeply felt by the rebel authorities. This boat was a true gunboat and not a timber clad, it had armor plates and could have given the union navy a hot reception.

Perry Neal gets the grand prise, all of the tea in China. Will that be one lump or two?

Ron

Now that's not fair. I'm reading through the question, and I'm trying to come up with a Union ship that was named after a Confederate town at the time it was commissioned as a Union ship. And I was drawing seriously big blanks. You didn't say anything about a captured ship. I protest!

Wait, I don't have anyone I can protest to. This really isn't fair.

Congrats to Perry Neal though. He can obviously think outside the bun better than I can.

Perry

Well, I'm more of a soda guy anyway. Good question though. Stumped me big time.

Incidentally, you realize I can ban people on here when they get on my bad side, right?

Perry