Shiloh Discussion Group
mtalplacido

Who is going?

I'll be doing the Confederate Memorial March from Corinth to Shiloh starting Thursday morning and we should arrive Friday morning as we enter the battle. The next weekend I believe we're doing a Living History at the Park as Feds. Good times, good times!

I and some of my family will be camping somewhere near the Johnston Bivouac Site. I plan to be there both weekends (and probably Thursday thru Sunday both times). If you see an old grayheaded man peddling his hiking sticks, that would be me. If things work out, I plan to have an area under canopy where folks can sit and visit and chew the fat, plus maybe have a cup of coffee. I'm looking forward to meeting people that I've known only by reading on this site.

Grandpa

I must send my regrets - my sister and her family are coming out from Idaho to go to Savannah and Charleston and I am going to go with them, having never been to either place. Am looking forward to seeing Ft's Sumter and Moultrie and spending time with the family.

I will be there for the 6th year in a row, along with a friend from Chicago. I am aware that Dave from KC, the other Jayhawk (Bjorn is #1) will also be there for the 4th or 5th time. I will be there for the entire week and will check out the living history events.

Well heck Sharon, that's too bad. But at least you'll be visiting Savannah, even if it's not in the same state. ;)

I only had the chance to visit Savannah and Charleston once, back in the 80's. Savannah is an absolutely charming town. You can walk around and think yourself back in the 19th Century. Or you could, if it wasn't for the cars and such. But the town itself is a step back in time. I forget what they call the area down along the river, but it was one of my favorite spots. Some nice restaurants and gift shops. Twenty five years ago. :P

At Charleston I didn't have a lot of time to spend unfortunately, and only made it out to Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, and the Yorktown. I'd recommend all three though, if you can squeeze it all in.

Perry

Thanks Perry - sorry I will miss seeing all of you but since I do not see my family much since the move I thought it was a good opportunity to spend time with them. Hope to make it back to Shiloh one of these days. See they are proposing a reenactment at Brice's Crossroads in 2014 which might be really interesting.

Being just a little slow on the uptake, I didn't realize that April 6-8 coincide with Good Friday-Easter until it was pointed out to me by our newest member, Co. D from Milford.

Jim

I am hoping to be there on the actual 150th anniversary—Easter weekend. I hope I will bring at least one grandchild.

I am especially interested in the (free) ranger-led battlefield hikes. They look like they'd be time well spent. http://www.nps.gov/shil/sesquicentennial-ranger-led-hikes.htm

Who else is going from Iowa?

Dan in Muscatine

I attempted to do what I have done in the past when traveling to a destination, get a place to stay at for as long as possible for as inexpensive as possible. Due to the paper mill doing a lot of construction work in tandem with Shiloh's 150th, rooms are going fast and deals are hard to find. Fortunately, I remembered Mona mentioning Pickwick Lake Cabin Rentals, http://www.pickwicklakecabins.com/

and got a cabin from March 28th until April 11. I had a chance to rent it for a month, but I am afraid if I stay that long, I may never leave. Let the spring fever begin!

Jim

me and my mother is working on my trailer were i used to live i wuz hoping to b done for the event i dont know if we r going to make it or not needs a lot of work but we are working on it b glad to rent it to u Jim we could do a lot of visting heck i might even let u fly that yankee flag while ur here b about 20minutes from park check back with me on it depends on how nice a place u have to have buy probably could sure have u a bed with a roof over your head with heat and air :)

Thanks Perry, but your a little late. I've already made the reservations and a bird in the hand ........ The two things this cottage has going for it are that it is about 15 mins. from Shiloh (10 if you drive Warp Factor Jim) and it has a large refrigerator to keep beer cold. Keep working on your place with a view to the future! ;)

Jim

John, be sure and look me up, and that goes for the rest of you. It would be nice if we could set up a meet and greet one night when the most people are here. anyone interested?

Sounds good to me. It would seem to me that the most logical time would be the afternoon of Sat. April 7th, before the illumination. Most of us should be around then.

Jim