Shiloh Discussion Group
mtalplacido

Who is going?

we plan on being there the 7th. will let you know about time. if we meet for a late lunch say twoish we will probably have time for a good conservation and still have time for the luminaries. any thoughts?

Jim, the short answer is yes. I plan to be there on March 31. However, it's going to take a lot more research to determine exactly what I'll be doing that day. I'd love any advice anyone can offer. Here are my thoughts:

1, I'll probably be limited to spectator events since I don't own any period-accurate clothing. I'm not averse to period-accurate clothing. I just don't have any and wouldn't have any idea what I need.

2. I'm mainly interested in my ancestors and anything that happened on their land. That would be:

A. Duncan field (my gggrandfather's property).

B. Land east of a line from Bloody Pond to Gen. Johnston's monument (another gggrandfather).

C. Anything involving the 38th Tennessee Infantry (yet another gggrandfather).

C.D. knows more about my ancestors' property than I do, but they lived all over the area outside the current park boundaries and experienced mainly collateral damage as opposed to direct action.

John

I plan to be there on the 7th and would love get together with other SDG members, but I'm thinking an early lunch about 11 might be better. However, any time is OK with me.

C.D. Do you have to be registered in any way to help with the illumination? The last time we just showed up and helped. I think we were part of the Shiloh Methodist group.

Grandpa

hey anybody needing a place to stay drop me a line we are coming right along on our guest house and C.D. our local boyscout group here in Adamsville expressed some interest in camping somewere during the renactment weekend i remember u saying a pack might b staying at your place thought u might know of a place they might set up prob. not b but about 3or4 tents i dont know and the event may have a place for scouts sometimes they do that i dont know holler back at me if u have any ideas

Thanks for the offer Perry, although I've got a hotel room lined up in Savannah.

Love the get-together idea, although I was planning on taking part in hikes on the 7th. I could swing by between hikes depending on the timing, I would think, and on where it would be.

Perry

timing is going to be crucial but I'm glad we are going to be conserving, got to start proof reading these posts. as far as helping with the luminaries just show up at the church and we will put you to work. the park has them ready to go, so we just have to put them pout and light them. still not sure of timem will try to find out this week. John could you bring what deeds you have and let me copy them? only the ones that have to do with the park. I think I have most of them but would love to look at what you have. I think if we meet at the catfish at 2:00 we could still get most of the hikes in.

if it is anything like the 125th, cars will be out of the question. at the time of the reenactment beginning cars were backed up to crump and pickwick and michie. people were parking on the side of the road 8 miles away and walking because they could hear the cannon.

A word to the wise for all those coming on reenactment weekend. Remember, because of all the traffic you will not be able to run quickly to the local Shiloh supermarket. Duh, I forgot, there's no supermarket at Shiloh. In fact the nearest one is probably 10 -12 miles away. The nearest grocery of any size is probably 7 or 8 miles away. So try to pack anything you think you might need. If it's warm, you may need insect repellant. The reenactment site has fire ants also, so be aware of the ground around you. I don't think that any insect repellant will deter fire ants. If you are allergic to any type of bite or sting, bring appropriate medicines.

Grandpa

OK everybody, I made some decisions over the weekend. Here's my schedule:

March 31 - I plan to arrive early, pick a spot and stay there 'til it's over. Question is... which spot should I pick? I've love to hear any advice you have to offer.

April 5 - Signed up for the morning events at Pickwick and the "Sherman's Outposts" hike at 4 p.m.

April 6 - Signed up for the Fraley Field hike at 5 a.m. and the Hornet's Nest hike at 2 p.m.

April 7 - Holding the day open in hopes we can work something out to for an SDG get together. I'll be available to help with the luminaries, if needed.

I've been waiting for these events for more than 50 years. I remember as a child back in the 50s, hoping there would be a big 100th anniversary event and that I'd be able to convince my parents to drive me 200+ miles to Shiloh. I don't know what happened at Shiloh in 1962. I just know I wasn't there. But I will be in 2012. Look forward to seeing you.

John

P.S. I'm going to change my avatar to make it easier for you to find me.

John

Leave your picture up so we can see who we are talking to. Besides it looks nice.

Ron

I like my cannon avatar.

I'll probably do that, Ron. I've always hidden behind eagles and flowers because my son has expressed concern about my common sense in dealing with people I meet online. When my wife told him I was headed to Shiloh to meet with C.D. on day, he shot back in a shocked voice, "Doesn't Dad know how dangerous it is to meet face-to-face with people you've met online?" She assured him SDG isn't your average group of stalkers.

Keep the cannon. It fits you.

John

John, we are stalkers! We just have different game. I've been known to stalk the halls of the WI Historical Society looking for a little gem of info on the WI 16th. I will say that all of the SDG members I've met seem harmless enough. ;)

Jim

John, park at my house and we will walk over on the 31st.

Afternoon of the 7th at 2;00 we will meet at the catfish hotel. at 5:00 pm we need to be at shiloh church for luminariary duty.

5:00 a.m. everyone is invited to sunrise service at the landing AND BREAKFAST AT THE CHURCH AFTERWARD. don't mioss the world famous sausage gravy and biscuits. and yes everyone is invited, regardless of race, gender religious preferences or anything else.

Jim,

C.D. and I will be going to the Blue Gray Alliance event. This is nothing against the Armies of Tennessee event. It's just that the BGA event is closeby, and we can walk to it. I hope that both events are very successful.

Grandpa