Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Stan Hutson

Left handed shooters in the war

This has more to do with the Civil War in general versus the Battle of Shiloh. But has anyone ever read any primary documents, letters, generally any material from the war, etc., discussing left handed shooters? I have always heard, and been told, that lefties basically had to learn to shoot right handed due to the tactics and style of weapons. I don't recall having ever seen anything on this subject, however. Just a point of curiosity.

According to everything I've ever read or heard, right or left handed, you all were right handed when you joined the Army. I'm sure, depending on the amount of training they received, some troops might have reverted back to their old ways though. But considering most Union soldiers, at least those coming from larger cities probably never picked up a rifle and never knew the difference.

Mike,

That is the thing, looking for sources, do you recall where you have read it? As a reenactor, well, the issue comes up and that same story surfaces that the men just learned how to shoot right handed. Tracking down the sources on this detail seems elusive.