Shiloh Discussion Group
Stan Hutson

9th Alabama Battalion???

Was wondering if anyone could shed light on this unit. I have seen some sources that state that this unit fought at Shiloh, while other sources state it remained in garrison at Corinth, basically as a protective entity for the city while the main body of the Confederate Army made its drive towards Shiloh.

"Shiloh" by Larry Daniel states that the 9th Alabama Battalion, along with the 51st Tennessee Infantry, the 7th Arkansas Battalion, and 2 other unnamed regiments remained in Corinth during the Battle of Shiloh. I have seen other references stating that the 9th was engaged at Shiloh.

This is a little confusing as they can't be in two places at once! HA! Any input would be obliged.

Stan

Hello Stan,

Here is a quick answer to your question about the 9th Alabama Infantry Battalion. The problem is that there was more than one battalion that used this number deignation. The 9th Alabama Infantry Battalion that you are asking about was the battalion commanded by Major John H Kelly and indeed, fought at the Battle of Shiloh with 140 men (estimate). It served in the brigade commanded by Brig. Gen. Sterling A M Wood (SAM) in Hardee's Third Corps of the Army of the Mississippi. It was in the first wave and so saw action early. It seems to not have suffered many casualties during the battle, only 20 to 30 (Estimate). During the overnight hours, it bivouacked along the main Corinth road with the brigade between the Woolf field and the Duncan field. It fought on the second day of the battle. Don't know its service after Shiloh.

Another 9th Alabama Infantry Battalion, the one that was part of the garrison of Corinth MS was that commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blount. This battalion was also known as the 5th Alabama Infantry Battalion and I have seen it referred to as the 5/9 Alabama Infantry Battalion. It had been assigned the Brig. Gen. Jackson's Brigade but was detached and left in Corinth.

Many of the Alabama infantry battalions used more than one designator number and/or were consolidated with others to form regiments. These two above battalions are among those involved. Some sources of Alabama civil war units go salient regarding the infantry battalions. A complete answer to your question will require research to filter these units out.

To make research more difficult, there was anoth 9th Alabama Infantry Battalion serving in Virginia.

Stan,

Forgot to say that maybe, they were in two places at the same time,

Or maybe two Battalions,

Ron

Thanks Ron. The water just got a little more muddy. HA! There are times when I think one must snort cocaine to understand and "keep straight in your mind" the in's and out's of regimental numerical designations during the war. One would have to think that as much confusion as it has created since the war, it must have been a total nightmare DURING the war trying to keep things straight on who was who.

The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors index was not much help, as it mentions only one unit designated the 9th Alabama Battalion. There was an image I saw that was of a soldier in the 58th Alabama Infantry and it stated that he had previously served in the 9th Ala. Batt. that was engaged at Shiloh, thus my curiosity and confusion.

Stan,

I find I must correct my erroneous information I posted above. I mixed up the 9th Alabama Battalion with the 9th Arkansas Battalion. The 9th Alabama Battalion commanded by Maj John Kelly was was actually the 9th Arkansas Battalion, commanded by Maj Kelly. So we have the 9th Alabama Battalion commanded by Lt Col Robert Blount stationed in Corinth as part of the garrison. We find the 9th Arkansas Battalion commanded by Maj John Kelly as part of Woods' brigade in the front line attack at Shiloh. There was only one 9th Alabama Battalion and one 9th Arkansas Battalion although both were involved in later unit mergers.

Ron

Stan,

Ron is right. There are several references to the 9th Battalion fighting at Shiloh but they are simply mistaken. Col. Blount did send men back to Corinth for guns and apparently either took it upon himself to take his men to the fight on the 7th or he was ordered. The evidence is conflicting. Either way they never made it to the battle in time. It is my deduction that he did so without orders and that is why his command was taken from him and the 9th dispersed between the 17th and 18th Alabama Regiments. Later in the Spring of 63 these men, with the help of a petition, would get the 9th Battalion reorganized under Col Bush Jones (He is also often mistakenly listed as Bushrod). The actual order from the war department came in September of 62. I haven't figured out why it took them til March of 63 to get the unit reorganized. Two companies would be added later and the 58th Alabama would be formed. Can you tell me who was in the picture that you saw and where it was? I am researching this regiment for a possible book.