Shiloh Discussion Group
Ron

1860 Federal census

The 1860 Federal census has been mentioned too often to recount but the problem I have is I can find only bits of it. Was part of the census damaged? Some how as it does not appear in a complete census. Most of the gaps in the Ancestry.com copy are the same as in the US census. It has been difficult for me to read and complie information from these sources as I don't have the background info as our members have. With their help. some has become clear but I still struggle. I have put together a listing of Shiloh Civilians which now totals 178 residents including 11 slaves, and 72 buildings for the complete battlefield. Remember this will include those portions of the 10th and the 15th Civil Districts that were part of the battlefield. The census totals for the two districts total 240 residents and slaves, and 145 buildings but these totals are for an area larger then the battlefield. I believe that some local residents are not included inmy lists and it is hard to verify. Can you give hints, clues, info? The stories posted by our local members have been great and I ask for more. I enjoy them greatly now that I can attach people to the stories. I'm beginning to feel like I know these people.

I found a very good source on line one day while searching the internet but I don't know how I got to it and there is no front page to identify it.

Who said life was easy? or computers? or the internet?

Ron

Ron, district 15 ran from snake creek south th lick creek and west to the county line. district 10 ran from lick creek south to the state line and east to chambers creek or silver creek as it was orginally named. prior to 1860 the entire area of the park was in district 10.there are several books which give more information. one of them is "on the banks of the river" by tony hays.A history of hardin county by Judge A.A.Watson.maybe we can get togeather and compare notes on your visit.

Can I be a fly on the wall and listen in?

I heard a story today about a cannon found sticking out of the riverbank near Pittsburg Landing back in the 50s I think. Any of you heard of such a story? The person relating the story had family living in the Peeble Hill / Michie area. The person said that the muzzle was exposed, and when cleaned the imprinting on the end of the muzzle said it was a 12 pounder. Their effort to recover the cannon was interrupted so they did not recover it. They indicated that it was their impression the the NPS recovered the cannon. Of course, it's possible that too many 6-packs were involved in this story. Not on my part of course.

Grandpa

anybody can listen in, and we would appreciate input from you two. I don't remember hearing about the cannon in the riverbank. but then I have heard some interesting stories about things happening on the park, huh Grandpa.lol

I just found out not too long ago that my 3rd great grandparents were living somewhere near Shiloh or Savannah during the battle. Have yet to try to dig up information on exactly where they were, but fully intend to when I get the time!

Stan

C D, In your post, you said the 15th Civil District ran down to the Lick Creek and the 10th District ran from the Lick Creek south to the state line. Does this mean the entire battlefield was in the 15th District? I was confused when you said the battlefield was in the 10th District but now see that you said PRIOR to the 1860 census. If the battlefield was in the 15th District explains why I can't find many of the local residents in the census. In the 1860 Census, the 10th District appears on line but the 15th District does not. You mentioned two books but only the Tony Hays book seems to be available to order, for $100.00. I have to think about that one.

John, Anybody can listen in and join in. Please help expand this data base for all of our knowledge.

Grandpa, Pleae don't tell me that there is a cannon buried on the bluffs. If so, I will be there with my shovel within 12 hours.

Regards to all, Ron

Ron,

Don't get out the shovel just yet. The site was on NPS property. I have heard rumors over the years that a cannon barrel was lost when cannons were unloaded at Pittsburg Landing when the park was being established. If they did lose one, it seems reasonable that they might just forget it since they had so many anyway.

Between Shiloh and Corinth there are (were) 4 or 5 different stories about a cannon lost in a creek, bog, swamp & etc. I haven't found anything in the OR about any lost cannon, but given the confusion, and the captured Union cannons in Confederate hands, and the Confederate cannons lost, it seems possible that the loss of one between Shiloh and Corinth might not make it into the official reports. Maybe one of the stories might be true. But, which one?

Grandpa

Do any of you understand the 1860 census well enough to figure out where Milberry and Richard Blevins lived? I've seen at least one family tree online that said Milberry showed up in Hardin County in the 1860 census, but I don't see them in any of the 1860 census information I find online (but then, I'm not exactly an expert at this). Milberry's full name was Milberry Harriet Duncan Blevins. In Elsie's diary, her name is transcribed as "Middie." In the 1850 census, she's listed as "Melberize." I've also been told that she sometimes went by "Belle" or "Bell." I've also seen her husband's name spelled as "Blevins," "Blevans," and "Blevens." My goal here is to find some sort of corroboration for Elsie's diary comment that Milberry and her children were in the Duncan Field cabin durng the first day of the battle. Thanks.

John

John,

As to Richard and Milberry Blevins, I can find no information at all. I consulted my records and now thanks to you, I can consult the 1860 federal census which has a name listing which really makes it simple to look up somebody. I did not find Richard or Milberry or the children in the 1860 name index othe census. Why she and the children are not listed may be that she moved away for awhile but returned probably after Richard went into the army. The Duncan Diary does mention that Milberry and five children stayed in the father's cabin on the Duncan farm on the battlefield. She was there all day on Sunday April 6 throughout the fighting. The father, Joesph Duncan and one of the sons brought Milberry and the children out of the cabin and back down to the Shady Grove.road. Milberry believed that Richard was in the Battle so it may be that all of the family was at the Battle of Shiloh and did not know it.

I can not thank you enough about your e-mail about the the Fraley family and the 1860 Census. Your information is wonderful. It is exactly what I was seeking. There is more info in your message than, maybe, you realize. I opened the link which led to more links and then, the entire 1860 census was there. I have spent two nights allready going through the census, writing notes, making lists. I'm in heaven. WONDERFUL!

John, thanks a million times.

your new friend

Ron

Ron, I found Richard and Milberry in the 1860 census. They're listed as "R W" and "H" "Blevans" in the 4th civil district. I've seen his name listed as "Richard William." Her middle name was "Harriet." The children's names and ages match pretty well with other lists I've seen. I'm not sure where the 4th district was in 1860, but it was probably on the east side of the river since the post office is listed as Savannah. An interesting note... information I found online made a vague reference to "the place where these folks lived placed them right in the middle of the Battle of Shiloh." It isn't clear whether that statement refers to Richard's family, his brother Abner's familiy, or both. However, it did say that Richard and Abner fought on opposite sides during the war and never spoke to each other again after it was over. This information was attributed to Patsy Barber. She's a distant cousin of mine and was known to be an accurate researcher, but I've been told she is deceased.

John

John,

Civil District 4 was located at two post offices, the Ingleside P O and the Savannah P O. are both on the eastern side of the Tennessee River. This is why you could not find Milberry and Richard when you searched for them in the 10th or 15th Civil Districts.