Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

March 31st Fund Raiser

Mona asked me to pass along some information for anyone planning on attending the reenactments and/or visiting the park that weekend.

The Shiloh SCV Camp is sponsoring a fund-raiser raffle at Shiloh Methodist Church from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 31st. All proceeds will go toward the upkeep of the reproduction log church, as well as to help pay the annual fee for the Civil War Trails sign for Fallen Timbers, and a forthcoming sign for the log church.

Raffle prizes will include, but not be limited to (drum roll please....) a flag flown over the largest of the five Confederate burial trenches in the park; a signed copy of Dr. Ronnie Fullwood's book, Shiloh's House of Peace: The Church That Named the Battle, a history of the famous church; framed battle maps on both days of the battle; and a very special, one-of-a-kind, 150th anniversary quilt created by the ladies of Shiloh Methodist Church. Mona gave me a description of this quilt, and it makes me want to drive over there a week earlier than planned just to see it.

Snacks, water, and soft drinks will be offered for sale as well, and if the weather is cold you'll have the additional options of coffee or hot chocolate. The idea of some hot chocolate would almost make me hope for cold weather. Almost.

So if you're going to be in the area that day, it's worth your time to stop by the church, have some snacks, and buy a few raffle tickets for a chance at some great prizes, and help out with a good cause.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and I'll pass them along to Mona. Or if you'd like, you can check the member list for her email address, and contact her directly. Please note that you have to be a member and be signed onto the board in order to see the members list.

Perry

I want to know how to buy raffle tickets in absentia. Now I would make a reasonable donation toward the cause especially if it would ensure obtaining a flag that flew over a Confederate burial tench. I would assume that would be the stars and bars right? I have the pleasure of owning a signed copy of Ronnie's book thanks to C. D.

I think they typically fly the first national flag over that burial trench, Sharon, so yes, probably so.

On the raffle tickets, I'm waiting to hear back from Mona about that. I'll post it here as soon as I know something.

Perry