Shiloh Discussion Group
Stan Hutson

Bye for a while

Well,

I will be absent from the board for a while after about 2 weeks from now. I will be going to the Shiloh 150th reenactment but then will be gone for "real army" military training the entire month of April. I hate I will miss the 150th anniversary events on the actual dates of the battle, but duty calls. Free for a little while in May, then "sometime" after June will be heading to Afghanistan. I will be checking in on the boards for the next 2 weeks for new posts, but I hope all of you have a good time at Shiloh on the anniversary.

Spc. Stan Hutson

Bravo Co., 1/167th Infantry

"4th Alabama"

Alabama Army National Guard

Stan,

A thousand thanks for your service. It would be great to see you at the hikes, but maybe next year.

We'll think about you on April 7 when we discuss the 4th Alabama Battalion's fight with 1/15 Infantry north of Duncan Field.

Bjorn

Stan'

God's speed to you. Be safe, keep your head down and don't volunteer for anything. Thanks for all.

Ron

Thanks for the sentiments. I will be here until the 150th reenactment, then on and off in May, so my absence until deployment will be in April mainly.

To be clear, my unit, the 167th Infantry is descended from the 4th Alabama Infantry of ANV fame. From the Civil War until World War I, the 4th Alabama Infantry was known as the 4th Alabama Infantry, but during World War I the 4th was redesignated the 167th Infantry, which is still around to this day. As far as I know, my unit is one of just a few (2 or 3 maybe?) units that are allowed to wear a tab in the same manner as we do. It seems like there is an Iowa or Ohio Guard unit that wears a tab marking the unit from which they descend. And as far as I know my unit is the only modern army unit that wears a tab that directly "honors", in a manner of speaking, a Confederate infantry unit.

Stan

Stan:

Thank you for your service to this country. While at the 150th, try to stop by and visit the Johnston Bivouac Site. I'll be hanging around somewhere close to there for about 3 days during the re-enactment. Look for a little old guy with a gray beard and gray hair.

Grandpa

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone. And grandpa, I will look keep an eye out for ya. There are over 6,000 reenactors registered, it should be a great event!