Shiloh Discussion Group
jmb57

The 72nd OVI at Shiloh

With the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh just around the corner I would like to share transcripts of some letters home that were written by men of the 72nd Ohio in the days following the Battle of Shiloh.

I will also be posting 2 brief accounts of the 72nd's involvement in the battle written years after the battle by a Sgt.and a Captain of the 72nd, and also a brief account of the Battle written by Colonel R.P.Buckland who was in charge of the fourth brigade of the fifth division of the Army of the Tennessee at the battle.

I came across these letters while researching my G Grandfather's civil war service at the R.B.Hayes Presidential Center.

In Fremont Ohio.

Please keep in mind that these are scans of copies and as such the legibility of some of the documents is not the best.

I tried to clean them up to be easier to read but, was not very successful.

Everything that I am posting here can be found at, and is posted with permission of the

R.B.Hayes Presidential Center, Fremont Ohio

http://www.rbhayes.org/

JB

Brief account of the 72nd's involvment in the battle.

From the speech of Captain John M. Lemmon 72nd OVI

Delivered at the Reunion of the 72nd O.V.I., Fremont, Oh., June 17, 1875

Note Shiloh account starts with the last paragraph on the first page.

post-134-0-14960900-1332283702_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-47259700-1332283712_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-20610900-1332283723_thumb.jpg

Good stuff, I have a picture of Asst. Surg. Caldwell in my files, but sticking to my KIA/WIA/POW images, I don't have the picture of him posted in this forum. I have several "of interest" photos you could call them, relating to soldiers and some civilians of the Shiloh campaign, but that would require another album, HA!

Stan

Wow.

Great stuff. The R. B. Hayes Center is supposed to have great stuff, including the largest James B. McPherson collection available.

Lemmon is the best source for the April 4 fight around the Chambers place I have found.

B

Tom,

Thanks.

I do have copies of a couple of letters (also from the Hayes Center) written by men of the 72nd regarding the battle of Brice's crossroads.

There's quite a bit more regarding the 72 Ohio at the Hayes Center that I haven't seen yet though.

JB

jmb57,

I would be interested in the letters about Brice's Crossroads. I am nearly finished with a book on the Tupelo/Harrisburg campaign and I have a chapter about Brice's. I try to use as many eyewitness accounts as i can. I do have a few of the John Hetrick Letters, 72nd Ohio, from the Hayes Center.

Tom

Tom,

This is much more convenient than going down to the Newberry Library and reading it, for which I condemn you in no uncertain terms.

Don't take away my best reason for playing hooky from work! :)

Perry,

You are welcome.

I will be going back to the Hayes Center in the near future, and I hope to copy more letters.

I will post more as I get them.

Jon