Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Field Report

Hey there folks,

Made it to Shiloh yesterday and spent a little time around sunset. Right now, I'm out in the park again for sunrise. At the moment I'm over in Perry Field, so you know I have to say this - I'm outstanding in my field!

Sorry, had to. :)

The park has had some rain. Pretty soggy in places last night. But that's okay. I'm reminded again, standing out here this morning, that what first drew me to Shiloh wasn't the battle. It was this hauntingly beautiful park. Some 40 years after I first saw it, and was transfixed by it all, the hold it has on me is just as strong as ever.

Perry

Perry,

Let me see. Your standing in the middle of a rain soaked, bug infested, muddy, cold, dark field. Had no breakfast, no coffee, bones are sore, strange noises, feeling lonely, lost. on your own. You must be crazy. Wish I was there. If I was, you could not keep up with me.

Ron

Ha, well Ron, one of these days we're just going to have to find that out!

Hard for me to get a consistent signal in the park, so I can't check in very much. But, it's a gorgous day here. Maybe mid-60's or so, and sunny.

Met up with C.D. outside the bookstore earlier, and had a nice talk. Then went into the bookstore and somehow left some money behind when I walked out. Always seems to happen to me when I go in there.

Perry

As we all know there is something spellbinding about places like Shiloh and I must say Antietam as well. They draw you in and captivate your soul and senses. I do not know if it is the peaceful majestic beauty of the terrain or the magnitude of the events that transpired on these fields or both. One never tires of contemplating and walking upon the ground where so many gave so much 150 years ago. I sense we walk in spirit with the soldiers who fought on those fields and made the ultimate sacrifice.

Hope someone goes to the iIlumination and takes pictures.

Ran into Mona and Jim last night at the movie premier Perry, we were hoping you'd pop your head in. Between last week and last night I've used up my trips from the kids, especially Easter weekend so enjoy yourself and get your Shiloh fix!

Sorry I missed you Mike. Hopefully we can hookup next time. I've been getting rave reviews about the movie from everyone, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

Perry