Shiloh Discussion Group
Tony Willoughby

2 hr tour with Stacy Allen

Wow, thanks Tony! I had a brief talk with Stacy Allen at the park and he mentioned that he had recently done a tour of the battlefield for C-Span, but I haven't seen it and didn't know it was online. So I will definitely watch. Thanks again.

Perry

Still have a little left to watch, but I have a viewing buddy . . . my daughter's cat, Sapphire.

She demanded my lap (as cats sometimes do) and became mesmerized by Stacy Allen's gesturing and waving arms.  I dare say she's now the most Civil War-knowledgeable feline in all of Grady County . . . perhaps in all of Oklahoma. :)

15972211065_9d3b58ba3e_z.jpg

Michele

Your story of watching the two-hour video with Sapphire reminded me... there were A LOT of animals at Shiloh. All the mules and horses, used to pull things, or carry riders. But, some of the horses, especially, developed lasting bonds with their owners. (The case of Colonel T. Kilby Smith, of the 54th Ohio, and his horse, 'Bell,' comes to mind.) Also, there were quite a few dogs. But, I don't think I heard of any cats being present...

Ozzy

Just to recap why I believe this video is worth the effort... Despite requiring two hours for viewing, it's as comprehensive as it can be, in as short of time as possible. A viewer can progress from this overview of the Shiloh Battlefield to any of the more indepth videos available, and focus on the detail of interest. It is a valiant effort by Stacy Allen to create such a compact overview. And, thanks again to Tony Willoughby for making us aware of its existence.

Ozzy

Oh, and one other thing... Mentioned by Stacy Allen in the video (at the 46.44 minute point, and running five minutes) is a map, used by Confederate leaders during their planning, and execution, of the attack on the Federal Force at Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing. A 'tidied up' version of that map can be found in Leonidas Polk, Bishop and General (1915).

http://www.historyofwar.org/Maps/century_1_551_shiloh.gif

post-550-0-32813900-1419283611_thumb.jpg

Ozzy,

It definitely was worth the time to watch.  I appreciate you bringing it back to the top of the stack. 

Allen is very engaging . . . he does an excellent job of not only explaining the events, but also filling in the context.

Thanks again for sharing. :)