Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Then & Now - Early 1900's to 2012

The picture wraps around to the back of the book. I tried to add the back part. If I didn't botch it too bad, it looks something like this:

shiloh3c.jpg

It looks like it was taken in the opposite direction from this one:

Untitled.jpg

My humble guess is that the top picture is looking in this direction:

shiloh5c.jpg

What do you think?

DK, good stuff! I had always assumed the picture was facing the landing area, but obviously wasn't paying close-enough attention. But I think you're right that it's facing out into the park.

Just a cursory look so far, but looking at your directional arrow on the map and comparing it to the image, I think the camera might be facing more to the left, more toward where that clump of trees is located in the center-top of the picture. It just catches the cannon on the left-side of the image, which makes me think it might a touch more straight-on. But either way, darn good eye on your part. Thanks!

Perry

As to the locations of the two pictures, here is my 1 1/2 cents worth. In the first picture, the group of men are standing about just north of where the car is on the road and the house in the background is just above the north rim of the Dill Creek Ravine. The angle of the picture is north to south, slightly offset to the west. On a compass heading, say 185 degrees as the angle. The second picture is, I believe, the administration building of the national cemetery and the arrow in the landscape photo is correct with a heading of about 75 degrees. See photos on pages 33 and 38 in the book showing the cemetery lodge. The photo description on page 33 indicates that the cemetery lodge and the administration building for the national cemetery were the same building.

Ron

you are correct in your assumptions about angle, the house in the background is the W.C.Meeks house. the cannon barrels and shot was stacked in a north-south direction in front of the cemetery. the only traces of the house that remain are the two large oak trees in the front yard.

I've got some serious catching up to do, before I catch up with you guys. Sorry to be so dense. C.D. which oak trees are you referring to?

I've always wondered about the short section of fence line in that field. Does anyone know its significance?

And that stand of cedar trees looks like there was probably once a cabin there. Anybody know?

Meeks2.jpg

Are there any maps that show where the houses were in the 1900's? Thanks for all the help and patience with my millions of questions!

there are two oak trees which frame the house site viewed from the road.in front of park hq..aerial view is hard to pick them up. next time you are on the park we'll go there. the oak trees frame the cannons in this photo. the house sat exactly where the cannon are.

int the late 1800's and early 1900's there was a thriving little community at the landing. there was three stores and numerous houses. Samuel Chambers house was just north of the cedars in the photo. there was a hotel with a restaurant and a photographer shop inside. the photographer was a Donnell(can't remember his first name just now), but most of his family worked on the park including his brother Dixie Donnell. the donnell house sat just south east of Barnes field.

Trying to locate another house on the park.

The caption in Tim and Brians' book Images of America, Shiloh National Military Park says that this cabin sat just south of the Peach Orchard on the Hamburg-Savannah Road, and that Albert Sidney Johnston died in a ravine just across the road.

shiloh5.jpg

Do you guys think this little group of trees is where the house stood?

Shiloh6-1.jpg

The area you are asking about is where the four buildings were of the Sarah Bell farm. They were on the west side of the River Road close to your arrow. There was also at least two buildings ( barns) on the east side of the road. All were destroyed during the fighting on Monday April 7th which was very fierce just north of these buildings. I believe they were never rebuilt. Sarah Bell moved in with her daughter Nancy, wife of Manse George. I can not identify the building in your picture.

Ron

C.D, how about J.C. Donnell? I have a picture of my grandmother as a little girl. It would have been taken in the mid-1890s, maybe as late as 1898 but probably earlier. The photographer's name printed on the case is "J.C. Donnell, Pittsburg Landing, Tenn."

you are so right John, it was James donnell!

I think the photo in Tim's book is mislabeled, I believe that cabin was south of the peach orchard but on the purdy road. as far as I can determine no cabins were rebuilt in that location after the battle.