Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
WI16thJim

Shiloh movie-old and new

I watched the old Shiloh movie last night. Sure is great kicking it up on the flat screen at home! Having heard from a few of those who are in the 1956 movie at the premier of the new movie brought a little different perspective to it. One gent told how he had to fall face first over a split rail fence and had to hang there for over an hour. Watching the movie, you do see him hanging around a lot. My stomach started hurting. In the new movie they show where boats at the landing actually had two spots to unload from!?!? Were there two landings, or is this a little error in the new movie? Sure am glad I bought this DVD. Brought a little Shiloh home with me.

Jim

Supposedly there was a landing down by Hageys Catfish Hotel, but that's just what I've been told. I've even heard it extended down south of the landing at the Park too?

The Trailhead Graphics map shows three landings. The first is Pittsburg Landing which is the nearest to Hagy's, the second is Brown's Landing below the Indian Mounds at where another ravine empties into the Tennesse River. The last is the Upper Landing the use of which has long passed into history. More landings further up the river near and at Hamburg.

Ron

The movie has what looks to be the present landing and then the second is about where the north end of the cemetery is. The road up from the north one goes southwest to meet the first one at the top of the bluff.

Jim

Based on your description and the Trailhead map, the map shows a road trace on the north side of the cemetery which does join with the main road in front of the cemetery. If this info is correct, I suggest that the landing you mention can only be an extension of the Pittsburg Landing down river for about maybe 200 yards, in the direction of Hagy's. Thats my best quess.

the road ran around the knoll where the cemetery is located now, a circle drive if you will. the road to the catfish hotel orginally went off this north drive. if you follow the cemetery wall it was laid up just to the side of this road. I believe the wagons went down the south side of the cemetery and up the north side which is less steep. as a child we could ride our bikes around the old road but even at that stage it was becoming overgrown, part of the road was erased in the rip-rap placement of the seventies.