Shiloh Discussion Group
WI16thJim

CWT: Commemorating Shiloh's 150th

Thanks Jim. Great video there with Stacy Allen, describing the significance of the land the CWT acquired, and the rest that they're trying to acquire.

I'm tempted to say that the fighting out there gets surprisingly little attention given its importance, but then again, pretty much everything about Shiloh outside the Hornets Nest has gotten little attention by comparison over the years, till fairly recently. There was so much more to the battle than just that one area in the center.

Perry

I'm kind of mad that I tried 4 times the other night to donate to the purchase of the piece of property and had problems every time with the site. Emailed CWT and told them of my disappointment, haven't heard back yet.

maybe one day they can accquire the fallen timbers site. the land on pratt lane and harrison road saw no action except that both armies passed over it at some point in time..the 390 acres on the river on the south side of the park. never saw troops from either side as it was impassable at the time of the battle because of the spring rains and floods. it's almost as though they are ignoring the history and accquiring land just for the pleasure of havimg it. although there was a considerablely large woodland indian village on this land.

C D,

I have wondered about the land purchased by the CWT some times as it does not seem to have much to do with the battle that happened close by. A case in point is the recent purchase of bottom land at Shiloh. Your right that this was not involved with the battle. No fighting occurred here and it was rain swollen. Let me suggest that the value of purchasing this property is to prevent others from acquiring the property. This prevents the land use for purposes the National Park Service does not want near a park.

Ron

Ron,

I think you are right about the bottom land purchase being to keep it out of the hands of those that might develop it in a manner that might detract from the park. My guess is that of the site being purchased, only about 50 acres or so had any battle action. To me , there are other much more important areas that need to be saved.

Also, based on what the Trust is paying for property, I know someone who might be persuaded to give up their little 30 acre piece that joins the Farris property previously acquired. Hey, if the price is right, even the owners of the 'Johnston's Last Bivouac' site might consider letting it go to the Trust.

Grandpa

Interesting Mike that you had trouble making an electronic contribution to the CWT. I have made a number of electronic donations and have never had a problem. The CWT is such a great organization and they do outstanding work. I have met a number of their top brass at events here in Maryland. A great group.

As with everything I expect the trust has to pay market value for land or maybe more than that to keep it out of the hands of developers.

Grandpa: "Hey, if the price is right, even the owners of the 'Johnston's Last Bivouac' site might consider letting it go to the Trust."

Will you still associate with us riff raff when your rich?

Jim

Jim: "Will you still associate with us riff raff when your rich?"

Well of course, but we'll have to move up to a premium grade beer. No more 'slug bait' beer.

Grandpa

yea ive tried to donate too and had same problem been meaning to jus mail it but keep forgeting u know they have another movie about the battle from wide awake films for those giving 50 r more supposed to b really good from some of their previous ones i know it will b one of my favorites is the one on Franklin