Shiloh Discussion Group

Its a little slow here so time for a quiz.

Question; What was the most popular field artillery piece during the civil war?

Notice qualifier words, Popular does not necessarily mean the most used. Field artillery piece does not include the large guns. During the civil war means the actual time of the aforementioned late unpleasantness, The War of the Northern Agression.

Because of the variety of field pieces, there may be more than one winner, but that would be your choice.

In event of a tie, the huge grand prize will be split between winners.

And what is the GRAND PRIZE? Your choice of a prize from the following;

1. One weeks stay at the Hotel Cuskey in Oklahoma. Food and lodgings included.

2. Air fare to Death Valley, California. The fare will be for one passenger on a one way ticket. Hint, get a ride on the aircraft higher in the formation as the flight will be on the flock of raging bulls.

3. Any further suggestions of a prize by me has been refused by the prize committee.

Good luck to all.

I'm waiting for Sharon's answer.

Quiz Master

One week stay at where?! With what included?!!

Hey, didn't we agree that all prize list ideas would need to be pre-approved by the administrator first? I could have sworn we did. Or maybe I just could have sworn. Or maybe I did sworn.

I'm going to guess that the answer to your question involves the number "3." Hope I'm right, because I've always wanted to visit Death Valley.

Perry

I would postulate, after deep consideration, that it would be the M 1857 Light 12 Pounder Gun Howitzer - at least I know it was the most popular with artillerymen because of its reliability. :unsure:

I saw one yesterday at Antietam. In this series of pictures there is an amazing 1 - smoke coming from the vent hole before the spark has ignited the powder in the barrel.

Sharon,

Yes, I was thinking of two winners and the M1857 12 pound Light Gun Howitzer is one of the winners. It was very popular and reliable. A safe gun for the crew to shoot with good accuracy. It was more effective than the 3" rifles and the 6 pound field guns because its larger size (4,62") allowed a greater number of balls in the the cannister and the grape shot. It allowed a greater impact on target because of the weight and explosion effects of the larger projectile. I believe that there was only one occurance of a Napoleon cannon bursting when fired. Perhaps you could verify this. I saw this gun that burst but do not remember if it is at Gettysburg or Shiloh. Sharon, you get one half of the grand ptize. Still waiting for the winner of the other half. The answer is very simple.

Jim,

Yes , this quiz is very quiet but it did not bomb. Its taking longer because its taking longer for the respondents to study their artillery books.

Where is your studied answer?

Ron

I might get around to investigating if a Napoleon ever burst during the war. Because they were cast solid and after cooling the 4.62 inch bore was bored out any imperfections caused by casting and cooling would probably have been removed.

The other gun could be the 6 pounder or a howitzer - both bronze guns that again because og the metal they were constructed out of would have been more reliable than either cast or wrought iron.

Sharon,

Boring a tube for rifling does not remove imperfections simply because these flaws have to be where the boring occurs. Air pockets can develop anywhere in the tube. Boring did not remove air pockets as it was a single purpose part of the manufacturing process. When inspection revealed pockets in a cast tube, it was condemned and destroyed.

Time to call the quiz,. The second part of the answer is the 3" Ordnance Rifle, a very reliable and accurate rifled iron cannon. Bronze metal was perfect material for smooth bore cannon because it durable and long lasting for a smooth bore. It was not a good material for a rifled cannon as firing a bronze rifled tube wore out the rifling after about one or two years at most, of field service. Many of the James rifles seen today on the Military parks have the rifling worn out, except some that were test guns which did not see extensive field duty. This is why the James Rifles lost favor by the soldiers in the field and they were withdrawn for service. Many were smelted down and recast as a Napoleon. The Parrott rifles fell out of favor because they did have the problem of bursting. After a period of service, they burst along the front edge of the jacket which was over the breech. When fired, the internal pressure of the explosion of the charge pushed outward and the band (jacket) resisted this pressure. It was this action that weakened the Parrott rifle and allowed it to burst.

See ya later,

Ron

Ron - I only meant boring the tube to create the bore, like for the Napoleon, not putting in the groves for rifling. Logically if the tube is cast solid and cools from the outside in most imperfections/air bubbles should be in the center which cooled last.

Thanks for making us think Ron :)

Hey, I said my answer was going to include the number "3," remember? That was in reference to the 3-inch Ordnance Rifle. So I get half the prize. I'll be generous and give up my claim to the Death Valley vacation to Sharon, and settle for my one-week stay here in Oklahoma.

Perry

OK Perry,

You get half of the grand prize. You sneaked in the number "3". It got overlooked.

Enjoy Death Valley and the walk with Tim Smith at Shiloh.

Ron