Shiloh Discussion Group
idaho native

Cool Photos from Shiloh National Military Park

4075_n_zps8917d20c.jpg

The park just recently had these photographs donated by a visitor. We are very excited to see them make their way back to Shiloh NMP.

Wow, thanks for posting that! Never saw some of these before. I'd like to hear about where they've been all these years.

In "This Great Battlefield of Shiloh" Tim Smith says that:

Four hundred yards south of the cemetery, engineers placed a rail line down the almost perpendicular bank. These tracks matched tracks built on the barges. The stones were loaded on small rail cars, and a winch and engine hauled them up the very steep bank.

Four hundred yards south of the cemetery would be this area:

Landing_zpsdcb1c718.jpg

I've seen that cleared area before, but never knew what it was. It's pretty scary to look over the bank right there!

400 yards would be a bit far from the cemetery, the photo actually shows the stone on the cart to be approx. 150 yds. from the cemetery. just north of the old overlook you can still see signs of the track lane just below the crest of the bluff. the area of the clearing is where the overlook was. if you look just to the right of the arrow you can see an indention in the bank where the tracks began, of course about 50 feet of the bank has washed off since then.

Thanks CD!

I can just barely make out a line through the trees. Does that look like where the rail was?

Landing2a_zps652e9901.jpg

It seems to correspond pretty good with this picture:

295a_zps7706012d.jpg

Great pictures. My first thought on reading DK's quote from Tim's book was wondering why they didn't just build the tracks over by the landing itself. But I guess the obvious answer would be that this would interfere with regular traffic to and from the landing. CD's idea makes sense though, as farther south would appear to place it at an ever steeper part of the bluff. DK might have scoped it out in that second image, but CD would know for sure.

Perry