Shiloh Discussion Group
WI16thJim

Drawings

I just stumbled upon this site:

http://www.wiclarkco...ries/16thWI.htm

that has a few drawings I liked:

1862PittsburgLanding.jpg

Pittsburg Landing, the final stand of General Grant's Army, April 6, 1862.

1862Shiloh.jpg

Shiloh Log Chapel, where the Battle of Shiloh began April 6, 1862.

1862Corinth.jpg

Advance of the Federal Troops on Corinth

General Hurlbut's Division forcing their way through the mud.

I love the clinging mud on the men and horse's feet. Reminds me of trying to walk around during the 150th. I made the comment that the mud not only had great sticking power but seems to actively seek out my feet!

Jim

Nice find, Jim. Sketches like these are about all we have of course, since there's only three known photos of the battlefield dating from the war. So these can be pretty valuable not only for depicting battle scenes but also for giving us an idea of what the area looked like at that time. Including the mud. :)

Perry

• Like 1

Gents,

I don't know if I pointed this out before, but the Becker Collection at Boston College owns a whole lot of the original drawings made by Civil War artists for the weekly illustrated mags. Henri Lovie was the artist traveling with Grant's army. His drawings were used in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, and those wood cuts are reproduced often. The first wood cut Jim featured is from Lovie. It is worth looking at the original sketches. i think they look better, but they also include Lovie's directions to the wood cutter.

I don't know if these are the only eye-witness drawings made of the battle while in-progress, but I do know there are precious few.

In unrelated news, Dr. Gentsch and I have submitted program proposals to SNMP. They should be scheduled and posted pretty soon.

Looking forward to April.

Best,

Bjorn

• Like 1

Thanks for the great link, Bjorn. I did a quick search and found four drawings on Shiloh, here -

http://idesweb.bc.edu/becker/digitool?strKeyWords=Shiloh&element=allword&action=1

You can click on the image to open it in a new window. After that, you can use the toolbar in the upper right to enlarge the image, and scroll around for a closer look. Wonderful resource!

Looking forward to your anniversary hike programs, but I still can't believe it's already this close to April. It seems like the 150th anniversary was just the other week. Time flies when you're on the high-side of 50! :lol:

Perry

Publications such as Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, Harper's Weekly and the New York Illustrated News offered a ready forum for Civil War sketch artists, including the following (ET indicates exclusively Eastern Theatre):

Civil War Sketch Artists, and their primary work areas

Carl J. (Joseph) Becker      ET       Gettysburg, Petersburg

Chas. E. H. Bonwill                         Maryland, Louisiana

William T. Crane                  ET       Carolinas

Theodore R. Davis                           Champion Hill, Carolinas, Crawl to Corinth

Edwin Forbes                                   Battle of Belmont, Virginia, Maryland

Edward S. Hall                     ET       Baltimore

John F. E. Hillen                  ET       Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia

Winslow Homer                    ET       Lincoln’s Inauguration, Peninsula Campaign

Henri Lovie                                       Shiloh, Wilson’s Creek, Corinth

Arthur Lumley                                   Bull Run, Death of Colonel Ellsworth

Andrew McCallum               ET       Petersburg (The Crater)

William R. McComas                       Special artist to US Grant, Paducah, gunboats

James W. McLaughlin                    John Fremont/Missouri, Island No. 10; (architect, who designed first Cincinnati Reds Baseball stadium)

Alfred E. Mathews                           Shiloh, Grant’s Last Line (travelled with Buell's Army as soldier in 31st OVI)

Henry Mosler                                  Shiloh, Corinth (travelled with Buell’s Army), Perryville, Death of Bull Nelson

Edward Mullen                     ET       Fort Stevens (Battle of Monocacy)

Francis H. Schell                 ET       Alabama, Georgia, Carolinas

Frederic B. Schell                            Antietam, Vicksburg

Alex Simplot                                      Fort Donelson, Island No. 10, Corinth, Memphis; probably arrived Pittsburg Landing with MGen Pope

David Strother                                  Map Making for Generals Hunter and Banks

James E. Taylor                    ET       Virginia, West Virginia, Carolinas

CDR Henry Walke                           Fort Henry, Island No. 10, gunboat operations

William Waud                                   New Orleans operation April 1862, Fort Sumter, Sherman in Georgia

In addition, Thomas Nast was an artist who was also member of the staff at Harper's Weekly; Alonzo Chappel was a studio artist who created several works related to Battle of Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing; W. Momberger was a studio artist who created a work 'Pittsburg Landing, Grant's Last Line.'

By entering the name of the artist, and the area he worked in in 'google images,' a fair representation of that man's artwork is displayed.

Ozzy

Henry Mosler

Henry Mosler was a 19-year-old resident of Cincinnati, who happened to be present when Major Robert Anderson (recently promoted to Brigadier General) arrived in the city end of May 1861 to assume command of the Department of Kentucky. The young artist sketched The Reception of the Hero of Fort Sumter, and submitted it to publishing concerns back east... and soon, Henry Mosler found himself in the employ of Harper's Weekly as war artist.

119-26.jpg

[Reception of Major Robert Anderson at Cincinnati, from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston]

Born in Tropplowitz, Silesia (modern Poland, near the border with the Czech Republic) Henry migrated with his parents to New York in 1849 when he was eight years old. In 1851, the family settled in Cincinnati (which was fast becoming a mecca for designers, architects and other artists), and over the next ten years, the young man taught himself drawing and painting. He was a contributor to The Omnibus (a comic paper) in 1855. After being picked up by Harper's Weekly, Henry Mosler travelled with Buell's Army of the Ohio and sketched Duck Creek Bridge (which delayed Buell nearly two weeks, on his way to join General Grant.) http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1862/may/shiloh-battlefield.htm [scroll to bottom of page].  And he sketched Pittsburg Landing:

Shiloh Battlefield

[Above images from Harper's Weekly edition of May 3, 1862]

Full4580.jpg

[Above is the Charge of Hazen's Brigade, Day 2 at Shiloh, found at wikipedia]

As Halleck's Army moved towards Corinth, Mosler sketched the crossing of Lick Creek; and the cordouroying of roads:

Road to Corinth

[Above from Harper's Weekly edition of June 7, 1862: Cordoroying of Roads on way to Corinth in May 1862]

Lick Creek

[Above from Harper's Weekly edition of June 7, 1862: Buell's Army Crossing Lick Creek]

Accompanying General Buell to Kentucky following the break-up of Halleck's Army after Corinth, Henry Mosler was in Louisville when General William 'Bull' Nelson was gunned down by General Jeff Davis on September 29, 1862, and sketched that unhappy occurrence at the Galt House:

220px-BullNelsonShooting.jpg

[Above image from wikipedia]

The Battle of Perryville in October 1862 was recorded by Henry Mosler in diary entries, and in sketches: http://civilwardiary.aaa.si.edu/diary.html

and scroll down http://civilwaref.blogspot.com.au/2014_06_01_archive.html

Shortly after the Battle of Perryville, Mosler left the employ of Harper's Weekly, acquired a United States Passport, and travelled to Europe, where he spent the next three years studying art in Dusseldorf and Paris. Returning to Cincinnati in 1866, he established himself as a 'portrait painter,' and created his best-known work of that period:

Image result for lost cause henry mosler

[The Lost Cause by Henry Mosler, found at wikigallery]

Ozzy

[References as cited.]

• Like 2

In the process of reviewing out-of-print resources related to Battle of Shiloh, an unusual map or sketch is sometimes uncovered. The below image was discovered in the 1865 biography, A Personal History of Ulysses S. Grant by Albert D. Richardson. Richardson worked as reporter for the New York Daily Tribune during the Civil War. The below scene -- the death by cannon fire of Grant's scout, Irving Carson -- was witnessed by a reporter on the bluff above Pittsburg Landing (and recorded as this sketch before 1865.)

death of carson (3).jpg

thanks, ozzy i have read/heard of this but this is the first time i have seen this! wow. kinda close to grant!

• Like 1

Mona

William C. Carroll, reporter for the New York Herald (and on the Staff of Brigadier General John A. Logan) was the apparent eyewitness to the killing of Irving Carson. He records, "Scout Carson was standing between your reporter and General Grant, and completed giving the General his latest report. General Grant turned, as Carson backed away, and the same cannonball that killed Irving Carson (and spattered General Grant's uniform with blood) also killed and wounded several other men in vicinity." [See Chicago Daily Tribune of 10 APR 1862 page 1, col.5 and New York Herald of 10 APR 1862 page 2 col.6.] 

Brigadier General Logan was not at Pittsburg Landing on April 6 or 7, but he appears to have sent William Carroll on ahead to report "his arrival in the Military District of West Tennessee" to Grant at Savannah. Riding aboard Tigress with General Grant from Savannah that Sunday morning, reporter Carroll remained mostly near Pittsburg Landing and its Bluff, and received much of his story from "the men streaming back from the Front." On Monday afternoon, having collected enough material to know how the Battle would end, William Carroll rode away on a steamer north, down the Tennessee River... and stopped at Fort Henry (where Carroll may have received assistance from General Logan to get his story "on the wire.") William Carroll's "Great Battle at Pittsburg Landing" was the first Northern report of the Battle of Shiloh (published April 9th, and read before Congress that same day.) However, the first report of the Battle left via the Southern route, a brief confirmation of "Complete Victory" drafted by General PGT Beauregard on Sunday (just after 6 p.m.), and sent by mounted courier to the nearest Confederate Telegraph Station and was relayed east, where it reached President Jefferson Davis before Monday afternoon, and was read before the Congress in Richmond [Varina Davis pages 227 - 229 and Hudson Strode pages 232 - 233.]

Either Albert D. Richardson was another witness to Irving Carson's death at the Bluff above Pittsburg Landing, or he received his information second-hand from William Carroll. (Henri Villard records meeting Richardson at Cairo on April 10th.) But, the above sketch appears in A Personal History of Ulysses S. Grant without "artist's name," so may have been drawn by Richardson, himself.

Cheers

Ozzy

ReferencesChicago Daily Tribune for 10 APR 1862

New York Herald for 10 APR 1862.

http://archive.org/stream/jeffersondavise01davigoog#page/n283/mode/2up/search/Shiloh  J. Davis Biography by Varina Davis (1890)

http://archive.org/details/jeffersondavisco006534mbp  Jefferson Davis by Hudson Strode (1959)

SDG posts of "Crump's Wharf" (14 April 2017), "Reporters at Shiloh" (2 July 2017) and "The 6th Division" (post of Joseph Rose on 21 JAN 2016).

• Like 1