Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

2013 Fall Gathering (Early Bird Notice)

Hi folks,

Just a quick FYI to let everyone know that thanks to Mona - who from now on will also be known as our tireless Events Coordinator - we're already set for another get-together with Tim Smith for next fall, on Saturday, November 9th. If the feedback I received during and after the original version from last November is any indication, this announcement about a pending sequel will be welcome news indeed, to everyone who was there and to everyone who wanted to be but couldn't make it. Here's your sequel chance.

We're taking suggestions on topics to cover, which is the other reason for this post. Most likely we'll follow a similar formula to last time, with a thorough examination of one Confederate subject and one Union subject. But that's not set in stone - the suggestion box is wide open, so put your idea caps on and start giving me ideas. Just post a reply here, or if you prefer, send me something via private message.

The other reason why it's a good idea to start planning now is that it gives us time to get our leg muscles in shape. Or maybe that's just me. ;)

Early-bird thank you to Mona, and also to Tim Smith, for agreeing to tramp around the park with us again. This is a good indication that we didn't wear each other out! As much as I'm looking forward to April and the upcoming anniversary, I'm looking forward to next November as well. So let's get that suggestion box filled up, folks!

Perry

A suggestion for a topic is the 2 pm attack by Gen. Johnston up through the Sarah Bell cotton field and the ravines east of the River road. The attack directed against Hurlbut's union division west of the River road and the collection of units east of the road. Mainly, the strategic importance of the attack and the collapse of the sunken road positions.

• Like 1

Good stuff, guys. Jim, I already had you down for a hike on the 16th Wisconsin! ;)

So I'll be seeing both of you on November 9th, right? You'll get free admission to the park. Just tell them you're with the SDG and they'll let you in free of charge. (Yes, they'd do that anyway, but we don't have to tell everyone else that. And it sounds really cool.)

Perry

Sounds great to me, I'm in. I say we go ahead and reserve the same weather as the last gathering. I hope to take a tour of Champion Hill this coming May with Tim Smith, as my wife and I will be attending the CWPT conference in Jackson, MS.

Good deal, Mike. Yes, I cast my vote for the same weather reservation too. That was hard to beat.

I'd love to take a tour of Champion Hill with Tim. That sounds like it should be a great time.

Perry

This is good news to hear! I love watching the videos of the last meeting with Tim Smith that you all had, it looked like fun. Even though I am fairly new, and don't mean to intrude on the previous group that went, I'd be absolutely delighted to join you all this time if thats ok, with Dr. Smith and the vast knowledge he brings with him!

And yes, the exact weather again would be ideal indeed, it looked like it was perfect for you guys.

By all means, intrude on us and with us. We're always happy to welcome a fellow student of Shiloh! Hope you can make it next November. If it's anything like last time it will be great. I'm rubbing my sore muscles stretching my legs just thinking about it! ;)

Hope you can join us.

Perry

A suggestion for a topic is the 2 pm attack by Gen. Johnston up through the Sarah Bell cotton field and the ravines east of the River road. The attack directed against Hurlbut's union division west of the River road and the collection of units east of the road. Mainly, the strategic importance of the attack and the collapse of the sunken road positions.

That sounds like a great topic...definitely would be interesting to hear the various accounts & experiences on that side of that battlefield

By all means, intrude on us and with us. We're always happy to welcome a fellow student of Shiloh! Hope you can make it next November. If it's anything like last time it will be great. I'm rubbing my sore muscles stretching my legs just thinking about it! ;)

Hope you can join us.

Perry

Thank you sir, I appreciate it! :) I'm definitely gonna plan on being there with everyone else in November for the fun filled event.

• Like 1

Wow - I see I have been away to long - another student of Sherman. Awesome? what did Cump really do at Shiloh or Fallen Timber for that matter. Maybe we could discuss why or if Sherman was surprised at Shiloh. Just kidding :D

I do think Jim should do a 16 Wisconsin hike. On January 19 I conducted a hike following the advance of Battery B, 4th US Artillery at Antietam on the morning of September 17, 1862. Since the Iron Brigade of the west was an integral factor in Battery B's advance they were discussed also. Had about 15 in attendance, mostly Antietam Battlefield Guides, and the presentation was well received.

Wow - I see I have been away to long - another student of Sherman. Awesome? what did Cump really do at Shiloh or Fallen Timber for that matter. Maybe we could discuss why or if Sherman was surprised at Shiloh. Just kidding :D

Haha, touche. No worries though...its fair to say that at fallen timber he was going up against one of (if not the Greatest) Cavalry commanders of the war/all time in Forrest, with Buckland's and others troops who were more then likely exhausted from the 2nd day fighting...still...hard not to give a great Leader/Soldier like Forrest the credit he deserves for that. As far as Shiloh goes, just about everyone in blue was surprised to say the least, with the exception of maybe Peabody's group. I still chuckle every time I recall Sherman's response to Col. Appler of the 53rd Ohio just before the battle...that would of been great to witness! lol

Sherman has just always been one of my favorites, even when I was younger and just starting learning about the war, he was the definition of "bad ass" in my view, B)

• Like 1

The first unofficial official sign up! :)

We'll be working out the topics to cover, Mike, but I've got the outline of an idea that I'll probably bounce off of Tim, involving either A.S. Johnston or Beauregard and the Confederate attack formation. It would be something that I don't think has been done on the anniversary hikes before. We'll see how it goes.

Still open for ideas though. :)

Perry

Ah, no problem Mike. I haven't checked on the schedule yet, but Bjorn said the other day that he and Jeff Gentsch had submitted their program proposals and were waiting to hear back. So it probably won't be very long.

Perry

Welcome to the board, shotshellshooter. I'll have an update on our fall get-together with Tim either today or tomorrow, but this weekend for sure. The exact details still aren't quite finalized, but the topics that we'll be covering have been picked. It will be similar to last year in that there will be two hikes with Tim, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, with a break for lunch between them. And we'll be covering some ground again. :)

More soon,

Perry

I didn't make it to the 151st this year and the artillery hike sounded great.  How about a Time Smith version covering the roll the artillery played in the battle?  Could focus on Union or Confederate or both.

Sorry about the delay, folks. Ran into some unexpected computer problems that are (hopefully) taken care of now. Knock wood, metal, plastic, or whatever happens to be knock handy. I'll have the information about the fall hike posted by this weekend, and we should be good to go. 

Mike, I like the idea of an artillery hike, but we've already got the subjects picked. That might be a good one for next year though. Tim has already told me that he'd be on board for next year. :)

Perry