Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

That time of year again!

Goodness, where does the time go? Seems like we were just talking about the 2012 anniversary, and here we are just a few short months away from 2013's version.

This year's anniversary falls on a Saturday and Sunday. In contrast to last year, when hundreds of people on a hike seemed to be the norm, the park on the anniversary this year will probably be wee bit less crowded, and more like previous years that don't have "150th anniversary" attached to them. Even though it falls on a weekend this year, which should help bump up the number of visitors some. And as much as I enjoyed last year's events, I'll be just as happy this year to find parking spots closer to the visitors center than say, Duncan Field. (Exaggerating. Well, mostly.)

They'll probably be coming out with the schedule of events sometime in the next month or so, and when they do you'll be the first to know, right here. Or maybe the second or third to know, but you'll know about it. We have agents on constant alert, ready to send the news speeding our way the instant they have something. (Yes, this means any of our board members who check the NPS web site to see if the information has been posted yet, and tell us about it when they see it. But I kind of like the whole agents on constant alert thing.)

If you haven't had a chance to visit the park for the anniversary hikes before, here's another chance to see what you've been missing. I keep saying that they are great learning experiences, as well as great opportunities to meet some of your fellow board members. But only because that's exactly what they are.

I hope to see many of you there in April. :)

Perry

I was doing fine holding my WI winter cabin fever at bay. A rereading of a few Shiloh books and I'd just started digging into Goodwin's Team of Rivals and you have to start this thread! The snow flakes flying past the window were too much, so I sought relief by making reservations for a room in SW Tn for a few days in April. I feel better now.

Jim

Even though I've been to Shiloh twice, I've never really done a guided tour of the grounds themselves and would like to do so eventually. I'll be curious what kind of events they have for the anniversary in April...might have to swing over there for the weekend if the weather is nice and all that.

I was doing fine holding my WI winter cabin fever at bay. A rereading of a few Shiloh books and I'd just started digging into Goodwin's Team of Rivals and you have to start this thread! The snow flakes flying past the window were too much, so I sought relief by making reservations for a room in SW Tn for a few days in April. I feel better now.

Jim

My work here is finished. :lol:

Even though I've been to Shiloh twice, I've never really done a guided tour of the grounds themselves and would like to do so eventually. I'll be curious what kind of events they have for the anniversary in April...might have to swing over there for the weekend if the weather is nice and all that.

Welcome to the board, Student. :)

I know I come off sounding like a broken record with this - or would that be a broken download link these days? - but the anniversary hikes can be great learning experiences. I tend to be someone who usually prefers the solo approach when visiting a battlefield park, and there are advantages to that, but joining a group has its own advantages. You'll often pick up tidbits or gain insights from other members as well as the hike leader. It can give you perspectives on aspects of the battle that help with your overall understanding. Or at least that's what I've found. I think you'd enjoy it, and hope you're able to make it to the park this April.

Perry

Welcome to the board, Student. :)

I know I come off sounding like a broken record with this - or would that be a broken download link these days? - but the anniversary hikes can be great learning experiences. I tend to be someone who usually prefers the solo approach when visiting a battlefield park, and there are advantages to that, but joining a group has its own advantages. You'll often pick up tidbits or gain insights from other members as well as the hike leader. It can give you perspectives on aspects of the battle that help with your overall understanding. Or at least that's what I've found. I think you'd enjoy it, and hope you're able to make it to the park this April.

Perry

The anniversary hikes sound like they'd be fun indeed! The first time I was at Shiloh about 4 years ago, it was about 96 degrees in September, so needless to say it was hard to stay out there long...did the driving tour which was ok. Last February my g/f & I were there for the weekend and kind of did our own thing, I forget the name of the map we bought in the visitors center, but it was that weather resistant map that has all the markers detailed out and whatnot, and kind of did our own little scavanger hunt on the battlefield...trying to find as many as we could over a span of 2 days...so that'd be right up our alley.

I've been anxious to get back there myself, ever since then I've read both Sherman & Grant's memoirs, shelby foote's book shiloh, and james mcdonough's shiloh: in hell before night...so i'm definitely ready to back out there to learn some more.

That sounds like it was a fun couple of days with your grandfather. The map you picked up is called the Trailhead Graphics Map, and it's wonderful. They have maps like that for several other battlefield parks, but I believe the map for Shiloh may have been the first one they did.

The driving tour is good, and probably better now that they've added in the western side of the battlefield. But the problem is that you don't follow things in any real chronological order on that tour, so it can be a little confusing at times. But it speaks to the challenge of studying the battle, since there really is no easy to way to follow things chronologically. As Ron often and correctly points out, Shiloh is essentially two separate battles fought over two separate days, across exactly the same ground. So as you're going around on the tour, you're taking in everything at once, from both days, and not always in the order they happened.

It's a challenge to learn about, but it's a fun challenge. Which is why you always have to plan another visit. :)

Perry

A few friends and I were watching the beginning of the snowstorm a few days ago:

post-24-0-00792100-1360538807_thumb.jpg

and wishing we were at Shiloh. Then the storm headed to the East Coast and turned into a real one. My friends and I were happy to have missed that part of it and figured we at least broke even.

Jim

Has anyone noticed the schedule still hasn't been released? It was out the 1st week of Feb. last year. Don't suppose it has something to do with those smucks in Washington all trying to outdo each other with their Nero impression, do you?

Jim

Here's a start....

• Everyday from 04/04/2013 to 04/07/2013Location: Shiloh National Military Park Time: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Fee Information: FREE Contact Name: Shiloh Visitor Center Contact Phone Number: 731-689-5696

On April 4 - 7, 2013, Shiloh will be commemorating the 151st anniversary of the bloody battle. Here is a list of programs being offered:

Thursday, April 4: "From Farmlands to Ravines: the Geography of Shiloh Hill." From 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm, in the Shiloh Auditorium.

Friday, April 5: "Long Arm of the Army: the Artillery of Shiloh." Join Dr. Jeff Gentsch in an all day, 12-mile hike concentrating on the use of artillery in the battle. Departs from the old Ed Shaw store on Hwy. 22 at 8:00 am.

Friday, April 5: "General Beauregard to Visit the Tennessee River Museum." From 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, at the Tennessee River Museum.

Saturday and Sunday, April 6 - 7: Three-hour car caravan tours of the Shiloh Battlefield." Tours will depart from the visitor center at 9:00 am and 1:00 pm both days.

Saturday, April 6: "The POWs of Shiloh." 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm in the Shiloh Visitor Center Auditorium. Utilizing eyewitness accounts,this program will discuss the fate of the Union captives surrendered in the Hornet's Nest. A short 25-minute film on American POWs throughout history will be shown after the 20-minute ranger program.

Please call the Shiloh visitor center to register for programs and hikes in advance at 731-689-5696.

Thanks. Glad someone is putting out something. I enjoy the Auditorium shows, tho the extremely long lines last year discouraged me on a few of them. Do believe I may miss the 12 mile hike. Wonder if there will be a 2nd annual meeting of the SDG!?!?

Jim

Ditto on missing the 12 mile hike. Now if they would let me ride my 4-wheeler, I could handle it. I would really like to attend the program on the Geography of the battlefield, but it being on Thursday night leaves me out. A second annual meeting of the SDG sounds good to me since I had to miss the first one. High temps are predicted to be about 70 this weekend. If that trend keeps up, we should be seeing green in the trees by the first week in April. Everyone take care.

Grandpa

" High temps are predicted to be about 70 this weekend. If that trend keeps up, we should be seeing green in the trees by the first week in April." I'll take any color that isn't white.

Jim

I'd like to join the artillery hike but the wife and I are leaving Houston in the morning and won't be there in time. Any idea as to what will be covered in the caravan hikes? Or should I say, drives?

Here's what the Shiloh NMP web site has:

Shiloh's 151st Battle Anniversary

• Everyday from 04/04/2013 to 04/07/2013Location: Shiloh National Military Park Time: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Fee Information: FREE Contact Name: Shiloh Visitor Center Contact Phone Number: 731-689-5696

On April 4 - 7, 2013, Shiloh will be commemorating the 151st anniversary of the bloody battle. Here is a list of programs being offered:

Thursday, April 4: "From Farmlands to Ravines: the Geography of Shiloh Hill." From 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm, in the Shiloh Auditorium.

Friday, April 5: "Long Arm of the Army: the Artillery of Shiloh." Join Dr. Jeff Gentsch in an all day, 12-mile hike concentrating on the use of artillery in the battle. Departs from the old Ed Shaw store on Hwy. 22 at 8:00 am.

Friday, April 5: "General Beauregard to Visit the Tennessee River Museum." From 11:00 am - 12:00 pm, at the Tennessee River Museum.

Saturday, April 6: "Fraley Field: The Battle Begins" Join park volunteers Jeff Gentsch and Bjorn Skaptason for a two-hour hike which will introduce vistors to the opening shots of

the battle. These hikes will follow the approaches of the Northern and Southern soldiers and arrive

in Fraley Field at sunrise. Visitors will meet at the Visitor Center at 5:00 am and divide into two groups, one Union

and one Confederate. The type of terrain will be MODERATE.

Saturday and Sunday, April 6 - 7: Three-hour car caravan tours of the Shiloh Battlefield." Tours will depart from the visitor center at 9:00 am and 1:00 pm on Saturday, and 1:00 pm on Sunday.

Saturday, April 6: "The POWs of Shiloh." 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm in the Shiloh Visitor Center Auditorium. Utilizing eyewitness accounts,this program will discuss the fate of the Union captives surrendered in the Hornet's Nest. A short 25-minute film on American POWs throughout history will be shown after the 20-minute ranger program.

Please call the Shiloh visitor center to register for programs and hikes in advance at 731-689-5696.

Jim

Hi folks,

The park folks have been updated their Facebook page, and stated in a post a little bit ago that they will be adding more hikes to the schedule, and hope to have the entire schedule out by the end of next week. As you can see from Jim's post above, they've already added in the traditional Dawn Patrol Hike that always kicks things off on the 6th.

Probably like everyone else, I thought at first that the hikes had been eliminated this year for some reason, which didn't jibe with what I had heard a few weeks ago. But apparently that's not the case, and we'll be seeing further additions pretty soon. Keep checking here, or on the NPS site, or if you're on Facebook, you can keep up with the the park's updates by "Liking" their page.

Perry