Shiloh Discussion Group
Stan Hutson

Howdie from Afghanistan

Ok, well, wasn't sure where to post this on the forum, but thought I would drop a line. All is well here. Got a little over 2 months left here till we come home. By the time we get home, I mean back in Alabama, we will be roughly a month shy of being out of the State of Alabama for ONE YEAR, yet they call this a "9 month" deployment. Gotta love how the government works.

The bad guys haven't tried anything stupid in several weeks and nothing directly aimed at American forces in our area. I think they know better as we would hand them their teeth :)

In my downtime over here I have found, and posted to the forum, a handful of new images of soldiers related to Shiloh and a few to Corinth. My first trip I have planned when I get home is, you guessed it, to Shiloh. Touring the battlefield combined with eating some catfish at the Catfish Hotel!

Hope this finds everyone well at home.

Stan

The reason your 9 mth deployment turns into a year is due to travel time. The military is notoriously slow. Just ask Buell. I take it you won't be at Shiloh for the 151st. Any chance of being in Vicksburg for the 4th of July surrender. I plan to be there. If not, perhaps the 152nd next year.

Jim

Well, a huge chunk of it was 2 months of training in Mississippi before we left. But we left straight from Mississippi to come here, didn't get a break after training to go home. I don't consider that 2 months as being "at home". No, won't be at Shiloh for the 151st, we will still be here. I am planning on going to Gettysburg for the 150th. Hard making a decision where to go with so many 150th's coming up, can't make all of them unfortunately. Going to the reenactment. Might be doing a Vicksburg living history later this year though, not sure yet.

The Campfire forum is absolutely fine for a howdy note, Stan. We're always glad to hear from you, and know that you're okay.

I can only imagine what Gettysburg will be like for the 150th. I've never seen the park at Shiloh as crowded as it was last April, and I would guess that Gettysburg will dwarf that. Should be fun. :)

Stay safe over there.

Perry

• Like 1