Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Going, going....

Just as an FYI, if you're planning on visiting the park for the anniversary this year, you might want to consider making your hotel reservations pretty soon if you haven't made them yet, as it appears that rooms are starting to be hard to come by. I didn't think there would be a big crowd this year with the 150th anniversary behind us, but with this year's anniversary falling on a weekend, it still might be larger than normal. So if you're going, I wouldn't wait much longer on getting a hotel room.

Hotels in Savannah that appear to still have some rooms, depending on when you arrive - Days Inn, Quality Inn, and Savannah Lodge. But not many, from what I can tell. The River Heights Motel in Crump also seems to still have rooms left, and is the closest hotel to the park. The Deerfield Inn in Adamsville is apparently booked up from the 4th through the 8th.

Doing a quick online search, there are other hotels in the general area with rooms left, but they will be farther away from the park. If you don't mind the extra drive time.

Perry

"I'll be in MO that weekend tromping up and down hills pretending to be from Texas" WI, TN, Ind and now Texas. You do tend to have identity crisis, don't you?!?!

Hope everyone that goes to the 151st has fun. I am sequestered at home paying medical bills that continue to mount for the parks namesake Shiloh. Guess family responsibilities take precedent over having fun. Is anyone coming out this way for the 150 anniversary of that little skirmish in Adams County, PA., this summer?

I'm having some family medical issues as well and have had to cancel this weekends trip to TN. If all goes well I'll be staying in Frederick,MD from June 30- July 8. Its in the middle of everything, so you can bet I'll be taking the family to see a cannon being fired in Antietam!

Sorry you can't make it this time Mike, but we understand. Hope it's nothing too serious. We'll see you in November, so get those legs stretched out!

For the folks who are going, I'll see you there. If you can't make it this time, remember our get-together next November with Tim Smith. :)

Safe trip, everyone.....

Perry

Got em! In fact, here's a shot I took yesterday evening. Recognize the location? ;)

8622552447_c782d30849.jpg

Here's a couple more, showing some of the new signs they've put up around the park. As best as I can tell, they've identified every field with a sign now....

8623657252_ea55fcbbb9.jpg

It was a little wet when I got to the park yesterday. Actually, the park was more like a swamp. Not quite so bad today. The sun came out about mid-morning and gave everything a chance to dry out. Anyway, here's another of the new signs. This one is in Duncan Field, just on the west side of the Main Corinth Road....

8623682886_508bcb9ab1.jpg

They've also re-painted some signs around the park that needed it pretty badly, and they also appear to have widened and/or improved some of the paths around the park that lead out to monuments and markers. The park folks have obviously been busy recently. The park looks great.

The trees are not leafed out yet, so unlike last year you have better sight-lines. For instance, you can actually see Waterhouse's monument while standing in front of the 53rd Ohio's camp site marker. I'll post a picture of that probably tomorrow evening, assuming I have any energy left. :)

Perry

Perry

Nice pictures. The shot of the cannons (both are 3.8" James Rifles)is very good and well balanced. I believe the location is the southwest corner of the Sarah Bell cotton field on the north side of the Hamburg-Purdy Road. I'm glad to see the new signs are made to look like the original signs. They are nice also.

Mike

Congratulations for the five photos in the latest magazine from the Civil War Preservation Trust.

Ron

I appreciate the comment Ron, and those James Rifles in Perry's first pic are from Harpers Mississippi Battery. That is my favorite spot for pictures in the park.

You got it, Ron, as Mike already said. :)

And yes, big time congrats on those CWT photos, Mike. Those are great.

Here's a few more pics from the park. South side of the Peach Orchard....

8629166681_7d8b2bdc83.jpg

Manse George Cabin....

8630269246_7dfd7c7361.jpg

The peach blossoms are starting to bloom....

8630288590_2d762d4a6f.jpg

New sign in front of Bloody Pond....

8629175883_d1aae6fdce.jpg

Have to turn it toward home tomorrow, sad to say. Well, my legs won't be sad, but the rest of me will be. I'll post more about the weekend when I get home. Hopefully Jim and some other folks will do so as well.

Perry

Perry,

Thanks for the photos. I wasn't able to make it to Shiloh for the 151st. Hope all the SDG folks there had a good time. Also hope everyone has a safe trip home.

Grandpa

Thanks for the photos, Perry. My bum hip and I couldn't make it this year, so it's great to get a few looks through your lens. You've got some definite calendar possibilities here. Did you do any before/afters?

Thanks folks, and you're welcome for the pics. I'll be posting some more as I can, and hopefully some other folks who were there will do so as well. The more the better.

John, sorry we missed you at the park this year, but I understand about troublesome knees. Hopefully it's healing up well and you'll be able to join us next fall again.

Also, yes on the before & after pictures. Did quite a few, mostly involving those early-day pictures from that Dayton Ohio web site that Ed shared with us the other week. I can't post the originals as I don't have permission, but I'll try to post the modern-day version along with referencing the original on the other web site, so that anyone interested can compare the two. Made what I thought were a few interesting discoveries. Or at least to me they're discoveries. ;)

Perry

Gonna head over there for the day on Saturday, looking forward to it. Anybody know by chance if the ranger led tours or anything of the sort have started for the season yet? I know places nearby like Stones River don't begin such things until late May or so. Just curious, worst comes to worst I still have my maps and books and whatnot.

Don't know for certain, but they're not showing anything on their schedule of events on the NPS site. Your best bet would probably be to check at the visitors center when you arrive. But roaming around the park on your own with some maps and books is never a bad plan. Either way, enjoy your visit.

Perry