Shiloh Discussion Group
Richard

Sgt. Rudolph Ulrich Heimberger 9th Illinois Infantry Co. E & F

Hi Jim,

Here is the link to view the images on file. http://cdm16447.cont...m.oclc.org/cdm/

I also did a Google search 'James Oates Boys in Blue' and got a link that took me right there too. The ALPL&M is strict regarding this material. You can get 10 free low resolution images from them. After 10, you pay $3 (each I think) for any additional images. The library will send you (via computer) high resolution images for $20. I got the high resolution images so I can print and frame them. There are 8K images on file from the Gen. John A. Logan collection. Logan was an Illinois state senator. To the best of my knowledge, these are soldiers from Illinois only. The ALPL&M staff are willing to answer questions as well.

Richard, I also have a photo of your gig grandfather, I knew Ethelyn Boyd very well . I started the 9th Illinois reenactment group and used the photo of your gig grandfather to copy the cloth badge he is waring. If you look closely at the painting of the 9th at Shiloh , you'll find that badge on one of the men. I was the consultant for that painting . I was also the source of the book republished by SIU.

Hi all,

I have some updates regarding my gg grandfather Rudolph's mementos. First, let me start off by saying I have been in contact with Mr. Westhoff. Mark's Illinois licence plate is BLOODY 9. He is an authority on the 9th Illinois Infantry and has reproduced the badge my Grandfather wears over his heart in the photo. A fascinating guy and fellow researcher. A pleasure to have Mark around to enlighten and educate me.

I received a letter from my cousin Howard yesterday. Howard and his son Brad decided to keep gg grandfather Rudolph's collection within the family (where it has always been). The though being; the collection would fade away into obscurity at a big museum. I must admit that idea crossed my mind too. To insure the collection is preserved intact, Brad (who has two sons) is now in possession of all the "papers" Rudolph kept. Brad told me Rudolph saved everything, threw nothing away, and speculates there may be as many as 2,000 original documents for me to see. The tintypes and old photographs are not in Brad's possession as of yet, but will be in due time.

Brad lives in southern Illinois in the Mascoutah area, so he is within a day trip from my house. Since Brad has only had the collection in his possession for two weeks, it is very difficult for him to tell me exactly what it contains. From what I gathered from speaking with Brad, there is a significant amount of Civil War material present. A trip for me to see the collection is in the works. Brad has also invited the Heritage Museum in Mascoutah to review the Heimberger collection.

The picture I share is the one I have been after for so long. It came to me through a family album my cousin Julie shared with me. It is marked G.A.R. in the lower left hand corner.

post-340-0-61008700-1391103794_thumb.jpg

Got my first access to my grandfathers things today. Took some low resolution photos of some formal documents and a regulation sheet. One mentions Rudolph was cited for gallantry on the field of battle at Shiloh.

post-340-0-69416900-1392172884_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-15722000-1392172892_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-62498600-1392172898_thumb.jpg

That's just incredibly cool, Richard. Great that you were able to get your hands on these items, and thanks for sharing them with us. Really, really, good stuff.

On the G.A.R. in the picture above, I'm sure you probably already know this, but it stands for "Grand Army of the Republic," a big post-war Union veterans organization.

Perry

Hey Perry,

You are most welcome. I wanted to post these things on this board to give the readers a look at what I am working with. This is the first time these mementos have been seen by anyone but family since the '70's. Here is what I found in a little envelope I missed the first time I went through the material. Paper currency of the period, and a ticket to the 1893 Worlds Fair.post-340-0-77296100-1393265068_thumb.jpgpost-340-0-68808200-1393265060_thumb.jpg

Here is a letter, written by Rudolph, found in the forward of an original copy of 'A History of the Ninth Regiment" by Marion Morrison. Jonathan Webb Diess, a professional archivist, directed me to this document. Since I just received this, I have not had a chance to research any of the content. Does anyone know who the recipient of this letter is?

post-340-0-06271100-1395409539_thumb.jpg