Shiloh Discussion Group
YEKCIM

Late 1800s Shiloh glass-plate negative photos

These are INCREDIBLY cool! Wonderful find, and thank you for sharing the link!

Some of the descriptions are frustratingly vague about the exact location, but regardless, this is a gem of a find. The main thing it does for me is show the area much closer to what it probably looked like at the time of the battle compared to now. It looks like a rural farming community that has not yet been transformed into a manicured park. I only wish we had some of these views from 1862.

I think my favorite description is the one labeled "Stuart's Position." Under the "Full Data" link, in the detailed description, it indicates that the "Stuart" referred to is actually Jeb Stuart, and it also makes reference to Stonewall Jackson. Apparently the two of them got around more than we realized! :) The picture is actually of a marker for Jackson's Brigade (John K., not Thomas J. :) ). You can just make out the top of the 71st Ohio monument in the background.

And there's also a picture of a marker for Gladden's brigade that I could almost swear looks like it's in a different spot than the one it's in now.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this. Looks like I'll be adding some extra 'then and now' shots to the itinerary this week. :) Won't be able to share the "then" versions online without reprint permission, but I can try to reproduce the image.

Perry

Very nice find!! It does show a better view of the battlefield compared to today. The pic of Shermans camp is a good example. You can't even see the marker from the road today. Thanks for posting.

Mike T.

I had some of the same thoughts about the photos representing a much better representation of how the battlefield must have looked at the time of the battle. The Sherman photo is an excellent example of that, and I wonder if the Park staff could make use of these images to help return certain areas (like the Sherman/Shiloh church area) to a more accurate appearance.

I also wonder how much better the original images are than the low-res versions available on this site and what the fee and usage restrictions would be. Perhaps, in the interest of education, they might be made available to the NPS or even the SDG...?

Lastly, Kern was clearly a well-traveled dude, especially for his day, and the collection includes a number of different battlefields, including Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Antietam, Chickamauga, and Bull Run. I have not had time to search the collection extensively, but a cursory look indicates that there are a LOT of images from major CW sites contained in his collection. Will give me something to do in my "spare" time...

~Ed

Ed,

Thanks for this collection of Shiloh photos. They do expand the photographic knowledge of Shiloh by showing the battlefield area closer to the time of the battle. I believe the photos are from different years as some pictures show cannon mounted on gun carriages and the iron position marker plaques which were put in place about or after 1903. The monuments were placed in various years so it would be hard to pick a year except when a monument could be identified and the year is known. The foliage really takes us back to the years of 1895+. They are very good photos to study. I miss seeing the buildings of those years, very few are shown. The pictures of the Shiloh Church shows a church different from the present historical rebuild. Are there more photos of Shiloh?

Thanks

Ron