Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Shiloh Then & Now

I tried to take a number of then-and-now shots of the park during the 151st anniversary last weekend. I'll post some of the results here over time, but for now we'll start with just one. This is an image of the position marker for Gladden's Brigade on the south side of Spain Field, as well as Gladden's mortuary monument beside the Eastern Corinth Road.

The original, undated image was taken by photographer Albert Kern sometime in the early 20th Century. Almost certainly in the first decade. It appears on the Dayton History web site, Dayton Ohio. They have the rights to the original image, and it cannot be re-printed or posted elsewhere without permission. Here's a link to a list of all of their Shiloh images....

http://daytonhistory...pe=d;startat=28

This site was originally brought to our attention by board member YEKCIM - thank you Ed!

And here's the link to the original image of Gladden's position marker and monument, as it appears on the Dayton History web site....

http://daytonhistory...&hex=K58031.JPG

Look carefully and you can just make out Gladden's monument in the background, just to the right of the road past the curve. I have two versions for the modern-day image, because as you'll see, the position marker has been moved. Here's where it is now. Compare this to the original version, above....

8639316658_c031f4c2e2.jpg

This next one is my best-guess at the original camera location. Or at least as close to it as I could get, as I don't believe the original spot can be reached now without climbing over a fence....

8638229307_3262b2c7bc.jpg

I'm pretty sure the original spot was more to the right, on the other side of where the fence is now, or possibly right on the fence line itself. It's on private property, although I believe the house located there may be abandoned. I'm sure someone can provide more information about all that.

Here's a slightly better view of the monument taken from the same spot as above, but zoomed in closer....

8639331236_69252d1528.jpg

I would guess that the marker was moved from its original position to make sure it was inside the park. I'd have to find out, or perhaps someone else can help with this, but I suspect that Reed and his fellow commission members originally hoped to acquire some of the land south of the present-day park, but were unsuccessful. So the marker was moved closer to Spain Field, and inside the park. You'll also notice that it is now oriented more toward Spain Field (off to your right-front) in its present location compared to its original spot, where it was facing straight down the road.

There is also no longer a cannon beside the marker, and I was unable to tell if one was ever moved there with it. I couldn't find any evidence that this was done, and the location does not really lend itself to placing a cannon or cannons beside the marker. Too close to the road on the left, and probably too close to a fence on the right.

Perry

Perry, Did you notice the gate in the fence? I met a gent who was opening that gate once. He owns the land and has a house a ways back in. Unless I'm mistaken, that's where the quaker cannon is located where Ron found his flock of raging bulls.

As far as where things are located in relation to the boundary. If you read the 16th WI's camp sign, it says the 16th's first battle site was 80 rods in front of the camp. The fence is about 40 rods from the camp. Stacy Allen agreed with me that was out on that ridge, but the Park doesn't own that land.

I believe Gladden came straight up the road, but they may have turned the sign so it could be read from the road when they moved it. Just a guess.

In your first photo, is that an ammo wagon up near the 16th's camp site?

Jim

Jim, yes, that's the property with that miniature cannon. Although last year when I went back there to check on it, it was in a heap on the ground, and had obviously been neglected and abandoned. I took a few pictures and think I posted one or two here, but maybe not. I'll try to find them and post them, just to make sure. I hated seeing it that way though.

It would be nice if the park could acquire a little more land just south of the park, but yes, no doubt some of the markers had to be placed where they are to ensure they were inside the park. Gladden's mortuary monument might be located where it is for that same reason, as I think we've discussed before. The brigade marker could have been turned for easier reading from the road, yes, although they're usually supposed to be aligned along the same axis as the unit they represent. Since Miller's brigade was in the field and Gladden mostly faced off against Miller, that might be why they angled it as they did.

The ammunition wagon is actually a supply wagon, to help me if I should unexpectedly encounter Webels in the woods. :)

The older picture shows it pointing in the direction that those who first help set up the markers thought it should go. I'm with them. The 16th WI helped work on Gladden's Brig. after they recovered from right flank movement Prentiss ordered to meet Shaver.

Jim

The attack in the Spain field was mostly to the east of the Eastern Corinth Road with a direction of attack of south to north. There may have been a slight angle to the attack direction, to the northeast. Gladden's brigade was in a extended battleline with its left flank on the road and the line extended to the east. They were on the south edge of the spain field which was much larger during the battle then its is presently. Gladden and Madison had a hot battle for a while but all came to a halt for the federals after Chalmers' Brigade linked up with Gladden on his right flank. Now the rebel battleline was further into the woods east of the Spain field. Madison was now flanked and had to withdraw. I believe since Gladen was mortally wounded early in the fight, a location of his mortuary monument would be further back down the road and more to the east into the Spain field but still close to the road. Yes, it would have been off the Shiloh property.

I saw that "quaker cannon" in 2000 and did not know what is was. I remained puzzled until you both mentioned it here so thanks for that. At that time, the gun tube looked real but the wood gun carriage was in bad condition. The trailways map shows the Spain field larger, extending to the east and the north so it was bigger in 1862. Didn't have this map in 2000, could have used it.

Ron