Shiloh Discussion Group
WI16thJim

Howdy from Vicksburg

The first talk I attended was on the July 3rd surrender talks:

post-24-0-77785600-1372982835_thumb.jpg

You just may notice someone familiar in the crowd with a video recorder. No need for me to take notes! Thanks for showing up Tony.

I discovered another reason to really like having a diesel car. It hit 92 and humid today. Everyone says it is real mild for this time of year, but......... I drove around for about 4 hours today, jumping out and taking pics while leaving the car running with the AC on full blast. Temp gage never moved off normal. The on board computer informed me that the idling had reduced my mileage from it's normal around 40 mpg to around 10 mpg, but that air was a life saver more than once!

No maps here showing which monuments are which (I was told that Trailshead Maps has been working for the last year or so to map the 13,000+ Mon., tablets, etc.)

I did find the important sites tho:

post-24-0-01356200-1372983818_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-23301000-1372984216_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 1

The ranger in the first pic is awesome.  I can't remember his name but he gives the "lunch lecture" every year to the Park Day volunteers.  Good guy.

His name is Tim Kavanaugh (not sure on the spelling). He has a great Irish sense of humor and isn't shy with it. The first trip around the Illumination brought comments from him that he could tell I was driving a TDI (diesel). The 2nd trip also brought comments. On the 4th, he told me if I had come around again, he was going to arrest me for loitering! Park Rangers are a special group and the world would be a dismal place without them!

Jim

I would have loved to been there for the illumination, but the pictures I've seen on Facebook have been a good consolation. Some of them really take your breath away. 

Good pics here too, Jim. I love the Wisconsin monument at Vicksburg. It's one of my all-time favorites. 

Tell the folks at Trailhead Graphics to hurry up with that map. It will be a great addition to their line-up. :)

Perry

Knowing that the Cairo was going to take more than a bit of walking, I saved it for last and visited this afternoon. To paraphrase Chief Joseph, I'll tourist no more forever! Good thing I like to stick around for that extra day with nothing planned but resting up for the trip home. I do have to recommend a visit to Vicksburg. The people here seemed to be in a competition with those of west TN to out southern hospitality each other. A man could get spoiled. Not that I'm complaining.

Jim

I've never had a bad experience at Vicksburg.  The town and the locals have always been wonderful.  Our car died there in 2008 and we ended up buying a new car.  The folks at Vicksburg Honda stayed open until 10:00PM on a Saturday(we got ther at 7 PM) to finalize the paperwork so we could leave on Sunday.  When we picked up the car the people at the dealership gave us $40 for a nice Vicksburg lunch before we left.  Good town and good people.

Jim:  Glad you enjoyed Vicksburg.  I found it a very interesting place.  Since my visit in 2008 I think they have been removing some of the trees that were planted by the CCC"s & I expect there is more open space between the Union and Confederate lines.  Did you find that to be the case?

I did get an opportunity to go to Gettysburg July 1.  Went to a special program "The Last March of the Iron Brigade" which followed the bridage march from the Codori Farm to Herbst Woods.  The Park Service estimated there were about 1,200 people on the hike which paled in comparison  to the July 3 recdreation of Pickett's Charge.  I found the hike very interesting  and have been reading more about the Iron Brigade at Gettysburg since then.  They spent the night of June 30 camped near Marsh Creek which is a few miles south of the farm.  The Iron Brigade had the highest losses of any unit at Gettysburg loosing over 1,000 of the 1,800+ that were engaged.  They lost their identity after that when a Pennsylvania unit was added to their ranks.  

It is great to spend a little time going to 150th events.