Shiloh Discussion Group
kaschykb

Newfound interest in Shiloh

Hello,

I am a long time amateur CW historian but have a newfound interest in Shiloh due to my ancestral link. As a result of some active family genealogy I discovered I have ancestors who fought on both sides of the battle. My 3rd great grandfather CC Harris was a 1SGT with the 12th Tennessee, Russell's Brigade, Clark's Division, Polk's Corps. And his future daughter's uncle-in-law, David H Marshall, was there on the Union side with the 13th Kentucky Infantry, Boyle's Brigade, 5th Division, Army of the Ohio.

As a result of this my interest in Shiloh has been reinvigorated. I'll be following this board closely. Any information on these units or direction to primary source material will be most welcome.

The image attached is GGG Gpa CC Harris. If anyone can provide info on this uniform I'd be thankful.

Thanks for the hospitality,

-Brian

post-345-0-83301300-1373595584_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the board Brian. Great picture. The hat looks distinctive and should be a big help in identifying the uniform. The coat reminds me of my old uniform - won't button over my beer belly.

Jim

Brian,

I also have interest in Conquest Harris. I am writing a book on the confederates of Northern California and am looking for info on him. i have close to 400 confederates so each person is getting around 3-4 pages. i would appreciate all the info you can give me on Conquest. I would also like to use your photo. This book is more about the military aspect of their lives and very short on the post war.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and the photo would be courtesyed in the book.

thanks

Jeff

Hello Brian

Welcome. I find the Battle of Shiloh to be very interesting and much neglected by many. The park is one of the best of the restored battlefield parks. Grant himself described the battle as the most confusing he fought in.

The uniform I would guess as an early civil war uniforn designed using items available locally. The emblems, buttons and specially the hat are unusual. I vote for the uniform being a militia uniform, or from a regiment raised very early in the war consisting of volunteers. The 12th Tennessee one of these early regiments being raised in May 1861 at Jackson TN. It was a early volunteer regiment with several militia companies in the regiment. It served its entire civil war duty in the Army of Tennessee or the earlier commands later merged into the Army of Tennessee.

Hope this helps

Ron

• Like 1

Brian,

Ron is absolutly right. I don't know if you have any of this info. Conquest left Cumberland University to enlist when the war began. He enlisted in Company G, the Newbern Blues, which was organized by his second cousin Tyree Harris Bell. The company was put into the Confederate Provisional army (made up of newly organized companies and current militia groups). Tyree Bell would make Conquest the 1st sergeant of the company and Albert G. Harris (Conquest's uncle) a lieutenant. The company would officially become Company A of the 12th Tennessee Infantry. Tyree Bell would go on to become Colonel of the regiment and then run a brigade. He was considered one of Nathan Bedford Forrest's top lieutenants and in 1865 become a Brigadier General. Conquest followed his uncle and second cousin becoming adjt. of the company and then as ordnance officer for the brigade under Tyree.

My guess is the photo was taken when Conquest first came into Company G and before official designation as part of the Confederate western army.

Here are two tidbits of info I have on Conquest and the regiment at shiloh...

Hdqrts 4th Brigade 2nd Division Forrest Cavalry

Camp near Tupelo Miss May 14th 1864

General

Lt. C C Harris for sometime past acting ordinance officer of the Brigade I command has in the capacity proved a valuable and efficient officer. I most respectfully ask that he be permanently assigned to duty in that position for the Brigade I have the honor to command.

He was born in the State of Tennessee & still claims to reside in it. When ordered to report to me was Adjutant of the 12th Tennessee Infantry

I am General,

Very Respectfully

Your Obedient Servant

T H Bell

Col Commanding, Brigade

To

General S. Cooper

Adjt & Insp Genrl

Richmond Va

HEADQUARTERS TWELFTH TENNESSEE REGIMENT,

Corinth, Miss., April 13, 1862.

SIR: I have the honor to make the following report of the operations of the Twelfth Tennessee Regiment in the battle of Shiloh on April 6 and 7:

About 6 o'clock on the morning of the 6th we were ordered into line of battle about 2 miles from the scene of action. The regiment was formed on the extreme right of the First Brigade, supporting the right wing of Brigadier-General Stewart's brigade. In this position we were moved rapidly to the scene of action. When within three-quarters of a mile of the enemy their artillery opened a heavy fire upon us, but we continued to move on steadily, losing a few men. We continued to advance until we reached the enemy's cavalry encampment, which we found evacuated.

After passing through we found the enemy in large force, taking shelter behind logs, trees, and tents. We engaged them here for some time.

During this engagement I had two horses shot under me and received a slight wound from the fall of my horse. My adjutant and several other officers of my command were wounded in this engagement.

Finding the enemy strongly posted and hard to move, I gave the order to charge, which the men cheerfully obeyed, and forced the enemy to give way for about 200 yards, when they again formed and took shelter in thick woods and falling timbers.

While engaging the enemy at this point Colonel [Alexander W.] Campbell's (Thirty-third Tennessee) regiment, mistaking us for the enemy, fired into us, causing great confusion among my men, and causing them to fall back about 50 yards. I formed the men and again advanced until we reached the left wing of General Hindmans brigade. Here we got separated from our brigade, but still supporting the right wing of Brigadier-General Stewarts brigade.

At this point General Hindman gave the order to charge the battery, which was promptly obeyed and the battery captured. General Hindman led this charge in person.

When we drove the enemy from this battery they fell back about 300 yards aind afterward made several unsuccessful attacks to recapture it. Captain Bankhead's battery was stationed on the ground that was occupied by the enemy's battery and we were supporting it, at which place I received a slight wound in the breast. Here we fell under the immediate command of Brigadier-General Stewart, who also assisted in the capture of the battery.

It being about 1 p. m., and finding my men exhausted, I ordered them to fall back to the branch for water and to fill their canteens. After the men had supplied themselves with water we were ordered to the support of some battery, the name I do not know. The enemy not approaching, we were ordered to the support of General Bragg, which we did promptly.

About this time the enemy retired under the protection of their gunboats. We were then led in the direction of the gunboats by General Cheatham, where we met Colonel Russell and a portion of the brigade. We remained under the fire of the gunboats for some time, when we were ordered back to the camps, where we remained for the night.

At about 6 oclock on the morning of the 7th we were ordered into line of battle by Colonel Russell. We formed on the road near the camps that we occupied the night before.

At this time I turned over the command to Maj. R. P. Caldwell, being unable to perform any duty from the injuries that I received the day before.

Colonel, permit me to notice the efficient service rendered my command by Major Caldwell. He was always present in the heat of battle urging the men on to victory.

Much credit is due my officers and men generally. They fought bravely, and cheerfully obeyed all orders given them.

The loss in killed, wounded, and missing I will give you in a supplementary report.

All of which is most respectfully submitted.

I have the honor to be, colonel, your obedient servant,

T. H. BELL,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Twelfth Tennessee Regiment.

Col. R. M. Russell, Comdg. First Brigade, First Division.

• Like 1

ConfederatesofCal, welcome to the board, and thanks for the great information in your post. Hopefully Brian will see it, as he should find it quite useful. We appreciate your helpfulness. 

Perry

Confederates of Cal,

Well, unfortunately I missed your follow up to my question of 5 years ago regarding my ancestor, CC Harris, of the 12th TN Inf. So much for my promise to follow this board closely 🙄 You seem to have some very interesting information. I was confused as to your use of Conquest for the first name and thus must have looked past this. I was aware of the Tyree H Bell connection but didn't know they were related.  If you're still out here, please contact me. Thanks,

C.C. Harris, in his image, is wearing what appears to be a frock coat.  His rank of first sergeant is displayed on his coat sleeves.  He wears what most refer to as a Mexican War/mechanics hat.  Great image.  He later served as a 1st Lieutenant in Forrest's cavalry.

I know this isn't a genealogy site, so let me know if this is not wanted here, but this is what I'm struggling with after running across some of the above information the other day... I have never heard of Conquest Cross Harris. My GGG Grandfather is Christopher Columbus Harris who likewise went by CC Harris. The bio our family has had on him is that he mustered in with Co A of the 12th TN in May '61 in Jackson, TN. He was 1SGT before being promoted to adjutant and ordnance officer for the regiment. He later was assigned to Bell's Brigade of Forest's Cavalry.

Unfortunately this biography is the same biography as Conquest Cross Harris. After learning of him from the above posts, I've found reference to him in many other places, including Nathaniel Hughes Jr's Tyree H Bell Biography. 

This all leads me to believe it's not likely there were two CC Harris's who served as adjutant of the 12th TN and later 4th BGD Forrest's Cavalry. I have a whole pile of copies of ordnance returns attributed to CC Harris that I suspect are Conquest Cross. I looked through our records and the earliest I'm finding attributing Christopher Columbus to the above described military biography is his second wife's widow's application for Confederate pension in 1937. We also have a grave marker request from her completed in 1940. I'm wondering if she could have confused the two CC's at that time. 

So my next step I guess is to check out the archives at the TN State Library and try to determine if there were two CC Harris's in the 12th TN or in any other TN regiments. I'm welcome to any more suggestions.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/26894681/christopher-columbus-harris

32241_1220701439_1999-00163.jpg

40050_649063_0372-03119.jpg