Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Fall Hike with Tim Smith - Official Announcement

You're welcome, Paul. :)

Haha, Perry, how about this, we'll only report on the positive stuff about Johnston. ;)

Sorry you can't make it, but a living history encampment is a good reason. Have a great time, and maybe we'll catch you at the park in April....

Perry

hate im gona miss it but were gona do a living history at Franklin ,Mona gona give me a report on how it went,yall have fun and remember everything positive on Johnston :)

I was actually torn for a while about which to attend this weekend, Franklin or Shiloh. I figured there will be much more next year with the 150th at Franklin to save it till then, although I wish they'd rebuild the Cotton Gin Park by that time, not sure if they will or not.

If anyone wants to get together Friday night, I am staying at the Savannah Days Inn.  We could get together for pizza or a local restaurant.  Call or text 217.377.4185.

Hope everyone has a great time Sat. The weather should be just about perfect at Shiloh, and Fall color is very good. If any of you have time, try to vist the Johnston bivouac site on highway 22 about a mile southwest of the park.

Grandpa

Leaving later this afternoon after the wife gets off work.  We'll be in the park tomorrow afternoon.  Michele will probably be walking and I'll be photographing the fall colors.  Say hello if you see us. 

Grandpa, you going to be around the park this weekend?

Everyone have a safe trip, and I'll see you on Saturday. If you need to contact me before then for some reason, probably the fastest way is through my gmail account - pcuskey@gmail.com. I'll be checking my email periodically tomorrow. No, not while I'm driving. ;)

Perry

• Like 1

Looking forward to being out there tomorrow! We probably got to be on the road about 4:30 tomorrow, that's never fun, but at least it'll be worth it! Should be perfect weather though, and for that I'm glad! :-)

Finished up an epic day of hiking with Tim and our stalwart band of happy (worn out) hikers. Already making plans for next year, so if you couldn't join us this time, you'll have another chance to get worn out leg muscles with us next November. :)

We'll be posting pictures and Tony's videos as soon as they're ready to go. And thanks in advance to Tony for those videos!

Thanks to everyone who joined us. It was great meeting and re-meeting you. Special thanks to Tim for his excellent and highly informative hikes. And to Mona for helping to put everything together, and providing us with food.

We'll circle back around and do it again next year. ;)

Perry

I second all that Perry said, many thanks to Tim for his time & knowledge, and to Mona for a great lunch!

It was a pleasure to finally meet so many of you, I look forward to getting together more in the future for more fun times, I just know now to be more prepared beforehand and prep myself for the physical aspects of the hikes to be able to endure it all....the anniversary hikes in April will help with that I'm sure, baby steps...lol.

Many thanks again to all!

-Paul & Michelle

It was a pleasure meeting you and Michelle, Paul. Glad you were able to join us, and hope to see both of you in April. And believe me, by the time I got back to my hotel room on Saturday evening, my knees and leg muscles were screaming at me to "MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE JUST MAKE IT STOP!!!" ;)

Perry

No one wanted to be "that guy" who wanted to fall out and ride back.  If one person would have said lets drive, I would have second the motion.  What was the final mileage for the day?

• Like 1

Could you mention what members went to the hike?  I wish and hoped to be among the members attending but it did not work out.  I really would like to have been there for the afternoon hike in which the second day of the battle was discussed.  Don't forget that the second day of the Battle of Shiloh is greatly misunderstood and ignored by some authors.  What was mentioned about the second day?

Glad you enjoyed Tim Smith and the hike.

Ron 

Here is a link to the morning hike. You can see the straight line in the bottom right hand side of the path.  This is where I lost my signal or it was possibly operator error.  6.63 miles.  (You may have to cut and paste, but if you get into the actual website you can see elevation changes and our split times per mile.  I use this site when I am riding my bike, but its pretty cool in Civil War walks too)

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/427266499

Here is the afternoon hike minus the walk from Shiloh Church to Ed Shaws when my battery died.  4.09 miles plus 1 to 1.5.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/427432021

We were ready for more but ran out of daylight!!

• Like 1

Great stuff Bruce, thanks! And yes, we recognize those circles, don't we Adam! ;)

Just as an FYI for everyone following this thread, Tony's videos from our Albert Sidney Johnston hike have been posted, and can be found here....

http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/index.php?/topic/1477-2013-tim-smith-shiloh-hikes-part-1-as-johnston/

I'll have the videos for the hike on Beauregard and April 7th posted a little later in the week. 

Ron, hopefully you can join us next year. I think you'll be very interested to hear what Tim has to say about the fighting on April 7th. Let's just say that this is an aspect of the battle that doesn't get overlooked when you're talking to Tim. He has some pretty intriguing thoughts on what happened, and how it could very well have been different had the Confederates used the terrain more to their advantage. 

My leg muscles are finally on speaking terms with me again, although my knees still aren't completely sure if they're ready to forgive me or not. ;)

• Like 1