Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Fall Hike with Tim Smith - Official Announcement

Okay folks, here's the information for our upcoming fall get-together with Tim Smith. This is fairly basic for now, and I will likely be adding to it later on. But this is what we have planned - 

Our day with Tim will take place on Saturday, November 9th, 2013, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (Officially, anyway. Those of you who joined us last year no doubt remember that the ending time went a little past 5:00 p.m. :) And if you've forgotten, just ask your legs about it. ;) )

The cost for the day will be the same as last year - $30 per person. A sign-up link will be found at the end of this post. As we did last year, we'll have two hikes, with a break between them for lunch. This year's hikes will be centered around the theme of Confederate leadership at Shiloh.

Our first hike, starting about 8:00 in the morning, will follow Albert Sidney Johnston across the battlefield, and focus on the differences between Johnston's original battle plan and the actual attack. The afternoon hike will center around Beauregard's actions on April 7th. 

As we know, Johnston's original plan called for an attack with three of his corps aligned roughly beside each other left to right, with one corps in reserve. The attack was to be aimed at the Union army's left flank. For reasons that have never really been explained, this formation was altered prior to the battle, and Johnston and Beauregard spent the day more or less working at cross-purposes, probably without realizing it. 

Our hike on Johnston will explore some of this, as we follow him across the battlefield. We will also incorporate Gladden's Spain Field attack into this hike, crossing over ground rarely seen by visitors to the park.

Tim is still working out the exact routes we'll take for the two hikes, but as we did last year, we'll be covering a lot of territory. Tim estimated at the end of last year's romp that we had covered ten to fifteen miles. It will probably be close to that again this year, and we will once again be forging through the woods, crossing creeks, and going up and down some fairly big ravines. We won't be sticking mostly to the roads. It's very much worth the worn-out leg muscles, but just as an FYI, worn-out leg muscles are pretty much guaranteed. :) 

If you've ever been on any of the park's anniversary hikes, this is similar but will last longer and be more in-depth than most of those tend to be. An exception probably being one of Dr. Jeff Gentsch's death marches. :)

I'll post updates here as I have them. For now, here's the payment link, where you can pay via Paypal - 

http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/index.php?/store/

You'll also find the payment page along the menu bar at the top of the page, by clicking on the "More" link.

If you do not have a Paypal account and don't wish to open one, send me a PM by clicking on my name, or contact me at pcuskey@gmail.com, and we'll make other arrangements. Paypal is the preferred method, but we can work around that if need be. Feel free to post any questions about the hikes here.

I hope you're able to join us, as we had rave reviews after last year's outing! This year's should be just as good. Now if we can just find and bribe that same person who gave us such great weather last year, we'll be all set!

Perry

• Like 1

Sounds good! May I ask, is there a deadline that people have to sign up by? Just curious....

I'd prefer that everyone who's going be paid up before November 9th if at all possible, but other than that, no real set deadline. I realize that sometimes plans can change at the last minute, so if someone wasn't sure one way or the other until right before that weekend, we can work around that. 

Perry

Still time to sign up for our Epic Trek with Tim on November 9th. Like Bruce was saying to me earlier, it's only six weeks away! 

Wait, what? Six weeks??? Good grief, it's almost here! If you're planning on going but haven't signed up yet, let me know so we can plan accordingly. Lunch will be provided courtesy of Mona once again, so she'll need to know about how many to expect. It's looking like about the same sized group as last year, but just to make sure. Thanks. :)

Perry

I'm at about a 90% leaning towards going at the moment, also might try and get a few people to tag along as well if that's ok. One of them last year moved here to TN who loves history, so I've been telling them what I know about the Battle itself and given them books and whatnot to get started. (Granted I'm nowhere near an expert myself of the Battle, but I've enjoyed learning about it for the past few years since I moved to Nashville.) Finally took them there last April to actually see it for themselves, but sadly have never had a proper walk through of the grounds, myself included.

I'll do my best to have a confirmation for you soon, Perry.

I've already put in our weather reservation request, Mike. ;)

Student of Sherman, that's perfectly fine, and yes, you're welcome to invite others along. The cost is the same $30 for everyone, although they don't have to be members of the SDG to take part. On the other hand, I've been kicking around the idea of a $500 donation fee for non-members. Hahaha, just kidding. ;)

Perry

Quick update, folks. We're still a go with Tim for November 9th. But if per chance the shutdown should still be in effect by then, we'll have to cancel, as the park will be off-limits. I'm not interested in starting a debate about who's to blame for the shutdown - we can get all the screaming and hollering we want about that elsewhere, if you haven't noticed :) - just giving everyone a heads-up about where we stand. The "go or no-go" cut-off date will be November 2nd, one week before our get-together. Hopefully that will give everyone time to cancel reservations, etc., should we be forced to do that. 

Again though, at this point we're still planning on having a green light for November 9th, so we'll operate on that idea. If you're planning on going but have not yet signed up, you can still sign up through the Paypal link. If we're forced to cancel, everyone will get a prompt refund, just as soon as I get back from my Caribbean cru.....I mean, right away. ;)

I'll post anymore updates here, as usual......

Perry

Perry, if the shutdown is still in effect, I'm sure a few of us old vets can lead the way on invading the park for you. Worked in Washington!

Jim

Perry, if the shutdown is still in effect, I'm sure a few of us old vets can lead the way on invading the park for you. Worked in Washington!

Jim

If we all do invade the park, can we make sure we don't do it in columns?? Ha

I believe that we are a go since the DC fools have kicked the can down the road until after Christmas and New Years?  I'm ready for the road trip to TN.  I'm bringing extra flash lights too, just in case. :D

Alright, I guess by now everyone is aware that our Great Tim Smith Shiloh Adventure is a definite go. We can get lost in the woods, fall into creeks, and slip down the side of ravines to our hearts' content, and no one will kick us out! 

If you've not yet signed up, now is the time. As Mike indicated earlier, last year the plan for non-paying attendees involved blindfolds and remote ravines. Fortunately it wasn't necessary, but this year's plan is the same, with an added element.......zombies. 

Yeah okay, maybe I've been watching "The Walking Dead" a little too much. :)

Anyway, I hope to see many of you at Shiloh on November 9th. I'll post information soon about when and where we'll be meeting up that morning, and as mentioned, lunch will be provided.  Any questions, post them here or send me a private message....

Perry

Okay folks, here's our setup for the 9th. We'll be meeting at Ed Shaw's, on the south side of the park, at 8:00 a.m. for the start of the first hike. So we'll be able to leave our cars there for the day. Assuming the weather cooperates, we'll have lunch at General Johnston's mortuary monument. The afternoon hike will also start at that point, and end at the church. We'll need to arrange for a couple of cars to be parked at the church prior to our morning hike, and we can carpool back to Shaw's when we're all finished for the day.

The plan is to finish up around five-ish, but as with last year, that's not a hard and fast rule. Might want to follow Mike's advice and bring along a flashlight, just in case. ;) 

On that subject, if anyone has something related to the park's history, something involving residents living in the area at the time of the battle, etc., we might be able to squeeze in a bonus tour like we did last year with the cemetery and the CCC camp. It would depend on how much time we've got left, and how everyone's muscles are holding out. And possibly how many flashlights we have. ;)

Also, I know it goes without saying, but keep an eye on the weather. Right now it's not looking too bad, based on the long-range forecast I've been checking. Obviously subject to change, especially still a few weeks out, but last time I checked it was showing the high around 60 and the low that morning about 40, with partly cloudy skies. That would be a little cooler than what we had last year, but still not bad at all. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that it stays not bad. 

On a side note, we will not be visiting the site of Johnston or Beauregard's respective bivouac sites outside the park, as logistically it's not really practical. Although we might be able to include one or both as part of a car-caravan after our main hikes are over with, again, if there's time. If you'd like to visit them on your own, they're pretty easy to find, basically just a straight shot down Highway 22 south of the park. 

If you're not familiar with our meeting place at Shaw's, it's pretty easy to find as well. If you're coming down from Savannah, Crump, or Adamsville, just head south down Highway 22 as if you were going to the park. Keep going for a few miles past the park entrance until you come to the junction with Highway 142. There's a small cluster of buildings at that intersection. Shaw's is on the left, right across from the intersection where Highway 22 turns back toward the south, or right. 

If you're coming up from Corinth, it's a straight shot up 22 to that same intersection, and about all you have to do when you reach it is pull into the parking lot in front you instead of turning left or right. 

Again, if anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here or contact me via private message. 

Perry

One week out, and it looks like the weather is shaping up to be pretty nice again. I've been watching the forecast on AccuWeather.com, and right now they're showing mostly sunny skies next weekend, with highs in the mid-60's and lows in the mid-30's. Looks like our good weather reservations from last year are still holding. Fingers crossed that it does so for one more week. Although it could rain all day and I'd still be out there. ;)

Still time to sign up and join us, if you've not done so yet. But time is running out. And remember, if you wait until Saturday to sign up, you'll be required to take the lead if we encounter any zombies! All those ravines out there, you just never know. And if you're not paid up before the first hike begins, well......the zombies don't like that. ;)

Perry

• Like 1

My apologies for posting this here, Perry...for some reason it wouldn't let me send it via private message to you.

Just wanted to confirm if it would be alright if I pay up on Saturday morning, and if so, are checks acceptable? I only ask because I don't have a pay pal account and rarely carry cash on me, however if you prefer cash, I can always make arrangements to bring it with me.

Also I wanted in inquire about Lunch that day and what it usually consists of? I've been meaning to ask and always forget.

Thank you kindly for your time,

-Paul

Student of Sherman - yes, that's fine. You can bring a check or cash on Saturday morning, whichever works best for you. If you bring a check, you can make it out to me, as I'm taking care of the full payment to Tim. As far as lunch, Mona will be bringing sandwich fixings, and we will be able to make our own sandwiches. Last year I believe the meat offerings were ham and roast beef, if I remember correctly. Some chips and cookies on the side, and soft drinks and water as your drink choices. If you have something specific that you'd prefer, let us know and we'll try our best to accommodate you. Although I think the three-course prime rib dinner I was hoping for probably isn't going to happen. ;)

Mike, it's looking like about a dozen of us. A few folks who were along last year won't be able to make it this time, unfortunately, but they'll be there in spirit. 

Perry