Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

2013 Tim Smith Shiloh Hikes Part 1: A.S. Johnston

Here is the first video from our Epic Trek with Tim on November 9th. The final two videos from our morning hike will be found in the first reply, below. As you know, several of us spent the day with historian and former Shiloh park ranger Tim Smith, following in the footsteps (or at least pretty close) of Confederate generals Albert Sidney Johnston and P.G.T. Beauregard during the two-day battle.

As he did last year, Tony Willoughby was good enough to act as our videographer once again, so be sure to thank him for the fact that you can watch this. Just as Tim deserves thanks for leading us on these great learning trips through the park, and Mona deserves thanks for all of her help, including making sure we didn't starve to death, Tony gets a big thank you for recording it all. Thanks Tony! :)

The 'theme' for this years hikes was Confederate leadership, focusing on Johnston on April 6th (our morning hike) and Beauregard on April 7th (afternoon hike). We began our first hike about 8:30 in the morning in the parking lot of the former restaruant/gift shop known as Ed Shaw's, on the southern edge of the park. If I remember right from Bruce's GPS readings (thanks Bruce!), this hike covered around six miles, and lasted roughly four-and-a-half hours. It also included some pretty rough terrain near the end. This first map, below, is an overview of our morning hike, starting at Shaw's and ending at General Johnston's mortuary monument. The landing area is circled in red near the top, just as a reference point....

Hike Map 1 - Overview

Here's a general outline of our route, from start to finish....

Hike 1 Route

And the same map, with our approximate stopping points (white "x's") that you'll see in the first video below....

Hike 1 Part 1 Stopping Points

You'll hear us talk about walking in a circle at one point in the video below. We got a bit turned around in the woods east of Reconnoitering Road. :) But like I say, we were being historically accurate. And I'd be a little suspicious of anyone who says they've been to Shiloh and not gotten turned around at least once. Getting turned around out in the park is not only par for the course, it's also kind of like a rite of passage. ;)

(Note - the videos for the afternoon hike on Beauregard will be posted a little later in the week. Sorry about the delay. It's my fault, not Tony's.) So lace up your hiking boots and get ready to tramp, because here we go!.....

Our final two videos from the morning hike, below. They run for about fifty-six minutes and just under ten minutes, respectively, and cover the final half of our first hike. Here's our handy-dandy map again, showing the approximate stopping points as shown in the videos below. They aren't exact, and some of the "x's" represent two stopping points that were fairly close together. But that's why they're approximate. :)

Hike 1 Stopping Points Part 2

The second video begins on the Eastern Corinth Road beside Spain Field, just past where the first video ended by the 16th Wisconsin marker. If you don't have your hiking shoes laced up yet, trust me, now's the time. :) So off we go once again....

Thank you, Perry and Tony, for sharing these videos for those of us who couldn't be there. I enjoyed listening to Tim's narrative and thoughts on Johnston and the battle.

I enjoyed the videos of the morning march with Tim Smith very much. I feel that I was there because the camera work was excellent. As I have a great interest of the second day of the battle, I'm looking forward to seeing the video. Any guess when it will be posted? Thanks to Tony.

Thanks

Ron

During the morning hike with Tim Smith as the guide, he mentioned that he had a discussion a couple of years ago by e-mail with somebody about a confederate battery being at Shiloh. You might like to know that the somebody was me. How about that, If I was on the hike, I would have brought it up. I'm pleased that he remembered the exchange of e-mails. My thought was that Hudson's battery was not at Shiloh. Well, I changed my position, since Joseph Garey published a book about the battery during the civil war and mentions the battery was at Shiloh, I know believe that it was. So, if anyone talks to Tim Smith, please tell him for me that he is right and I'm eating crow. Garey also mentioned that Capt. Hudson was killed at the battle. This book is titled "A Keystone Rebel", published 1996 by Thomas Publications, P.O. Box 3031, Gettysburg PA. 17325. The ISBN # is 1577470028. Its a small book for $11.95. If you want, order from the publisher or amazon. Its a good quick read.

Ron

Ron, the two videos on Beauregard and April 7th are finally posted, and can be found here -

http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/index.php?/topic/1480-2013-tim-smith-shiloh-hikes-part-2-beauregard/

A thousand sorrys for the long delay. I'll have to add the maps later, but I outlined our general route for you, and I don't think you'll have any trouble following along. I also think you'll like what Tim has to say about the fighting on April 7th. :)

Perry

Check out this comment I got on Youtube. This really made my day.

Hey Tony, I am so glad there are people who have taken an interest in Albert Johnston.  It warms my heart that people still remember my 5 time great grandfather.  Yes, I said grandfather.  My living grandmother has his dueling pistol (which is still loaded) and his saber.  Keep up the great work!!

• Like 2

Wow, very cool indeed! Johnston was wounded in a duel many years before Shiloh, and lost partial feeling in his leg because of that. The same leg in which he was later shot at Shiloh. There's some speculation that his old dueling injury may have kept him from feeling the impact of the bullet, or realizing how severe it was. No way to know of course. But, I wonder if the dueling pistol that person mentioned is the same one he was using when he was wounded. Either way, neat story.

Perry