Shiloh Discussion Group
Transylvania

Where to stay?

For my last two visits to the Shiloh battlefield (April, 2012 and 2013), I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Corinth.  It's a nice-enough hotel with high-speed internet and the other taken-for-granted amenities, but it is a bit distant from the Shiloh NMP.

I tried to make reservations some other closer inns/motels last year but apparently waited too long to so as they all claimed to be full. 

Do the august members of this distinguished forum have recommendations as to where to stay when visiting the battlefield?

I agree with Paul's (Student of Sherman) recommendations, Corinth is farther ( 23? miles) than Pickwick Landing (17 miles) and Savannah (12 Miles). 

All have their unique features, Pickwick has the state operated inn and the locks on the Tennessee River, Savannah has more choices of places and the Cherry house,  Corinth has several historical homes and the Corinth battlefield.  I stayed at the Pickwick Landing Inn twice and we liked it.  Rate are in line with others.  We did not mind the drive to the Battlefield from Pickwick.  I guess I'm saying, take your pick.

Ron

I'm cheap so I always stay at the Econo lodge in Corinth.  It is clean, cheap and has free wifi.  Its located at the intersection of Hwy's 72 and 45.  You can take 45 south to Tupelo and Brices Crossroads and 72 west to sites like Holly Springs and others along Grant's Vicksburg Campaign.

As I tell the visitors who come to the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, Corinth is the place to stay. It is the hub for visiting Civil War sites iin the area. mtalplcido hit the nail on the head.

A short list of the major sites within an hour of Corinth:

Shiloh: 30 minutes northeast

Iuka: 20 minutes east

Brice's Crossroads: 25 minutes south

Tupelo: 50 minutes south

Holly Springs: 40 minutes west

Davis Bridge: 20 Minutes west

Davis Mill: 40 minutes west

Britton's Lane: 45 Minutes north

Jackson: 1 hour north

Parker's Crossroads: 1 hour northeast

I could easily tack on a couple dozen lesser sites.

Lots of places to stay and plenty of places to eat. Shoot, I like it so well I moved off the park to live here.

Tom

I'm a fan of the Hampton Inn at Corinth because it's central to other Civil War sites (e.g., Brice's Crossroads). It also has the added benefit of being right down the way from the Crossroads Ribshack...

There's also a Hampton Inn at Pickwick Dam that's clean (recently renovated) and reasonably priced (I think it's about $10 less than the one is Corinth). It's closer to the battlefield than the Corinth Hampton, but it feels more isolated, and it's a bit more of a drive to food, etc.

Can't add much to what's already been offered. Aside from camping, you'll have to stay several miles from the park. I think the closest hotel would be the River Heights Motel in Crump, roughly seven miles north of the park. Other than that, a hotel in Adamsville or Savannah is your closest bet for something "close," relatively speaking. Anything else is further away, and depends on what your focus is when you visit the area. If you just want to be close to the park though, Crump, Adamsville, or Savannah are your main choices. Camping? You could literally camp across the street from the former south entrance. Just depends on what you're interested in doing.

Perry

Anyone by chance know the food scene around Shiloh? Any time I have ever been there it has only been for a day trip & I've always packed a lunch or whatnot, with this time it will be different. I imagine Savannah & the surrounding area might have the basic fast food or what not, but I figured it never hurts to ask if anyone knows a good place or two to grab a bite to eat between hikes.

-Paul

Closest is Hagy's Catfish Hotel jus past the park entrance.  Great food.  Otherwise its into Savanah for fast food.  I'm sure they have other stuff there too.  Maybe some locals will add more.

Thought I'd give the Deerfield Inn in Adamsville a shot. I told the owner why I was here (the Park) and he said he'd give me the discount rate. It's $52.54/day for a single double bed (single double bed and double double bed rooms always sounded like oxymorons to me) 1 person total after taxes. No frills like continental breakfast but it has wi-fi, micro and frig. It's clean, comfortable and I'm enjoying it here. The owner said he would give the discount to anyone who mentions theshilohdiscussiongroup.

Jim

That was probably your best bet Jim. If you don't mind driving to grab a quick sandwich you can get one going west on 142 to Stantonville. Only store at the corner of Michie/Pebblehill Rd.