Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Transylvania

Meeting with other Denizens of the SDG

As a new member of this august Forum, I'm unclear as to what sort of meeting of the SDG membership might be held on the Anniversary of the Battle.  I would certainly like to meet with those of us who will be there this year.  My personal arrangements are that I will arrive in Savannah in the late evening of April 4 and will participate in the hikes on the 5th, 6th, and 7th, probably departing for home on the 7th at the conclusion of Mr Skapteson's hike on the US Regulars (1430).

So, what are the usual arrangements?

Transylvania, I plan to be there Saturday and Sunday. Not sure how well my new hip will handle the ravines, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Would love to meet everyone for lunch at the Catfish Hotel on Saturday or Sunday like we did for the 150th.

Student, the hike leaders' names are buried in the descriptions for SOME of the hikes. It looks like the usual gang for the most part.

John

Student, the hike leaders' names are buried in the descriptions for SOME of the hikes. It looks like the usual gang for the most part.

John

I'm not sure who the usual gang are, never been to an anniversary event. I know Bjorn from the videos Tony has posted, and I think I remember Perry or Mona mentioning Jeff at one time or another in conversation during the Tim Smith event, but that's about it.

Looking forward to checking out this year, I had to make sure to secure a room for the wife & I before they were all taken. Hopefully the weather will be as nice as it looked to be for last years events & hikes.

-Paul

I'd like to make Bjorn's hike on non-combatants which is from 11 to 1 on Sunday. So, I would prefer to meet for lunch on Saturday. But... I'll ditch Bjorn if Sunday works better for the rest of you.

John

P.S. Paul, check the link to NPS web site. They've been updating the descriptions and including more names.

I will be there both days, you won't be able to miss me as I'll be wering Park Service Gray & Green and a Flat Hat. I will be the black powder safety guy for the living history demonstrations.

All the best,

Tom

I will get to Savannah Days Inn on the night of the 3rd, check out the park on the 4th, participate in hikes on the 5th, 6th and 7th, then head for home the afternoon of the 7th. 

No chance for me getting to Shiloh again this year.  My rottweiler had some major medical bills so all the long distance travel monies have been spent.  I am lucky there are lots of 150th events here with activities in the Shenandoah Valley, the Overland Campaign in Virginia and the 150th at Monocacy.  Glad to have so much happening close to home.  Come east for a visit.  Heard there was going to be a huge reenactment on private land near Spotsylvania Courthouse in early May.

Sharon,

Sorry about Shiloh.  Hope his well soon.  Thanks for the invite to come east but I prefer to stay with the Western Theater of the civil war where the war was fought and won (or lost).  We all know the Eastern theater was only a side show.  I say this in half joking but remember all of the territory the rebels lost in the west and all of the resources including the pool of recruits lost when their area was overrun by the invading hoard.  Basically, in the east, during four years of war, the fighting moved back and forth only a little over 100 miles.  The territory, resources and population of the rebels was safe and protected by General Lee.  Wow Sharon, did you get me started!  Anyway, it was nice to hear from you again.  Miss your many posts on the SDG.

Ron

(Remember I am a yankee)?