Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Perry Neal

Artillery round from Shiloh

hello everyone hope everyone is well i havent been on in a while, ive got a friend who has a artillery round found at shiloh yrs ago we were trying to figure out what type it is i have not seen it yet but he says its is of the bullet type,conical,i was wondering which guns fired this type round i dont believe the rodmans were around at shiloh i was thinks mayb the james,but he does not think it to b that then i thought mayb parrot gun ,mayb yall can help me on this ,thought you might know about this too Ron    thanks perry neal

Hello Perry, 

A bullet looking projectile was used in a rifled field piece.  Most common to the Battle of Shiloh was the James rifles in the 3.8" diameter.  There were many of these at the battle, used by both sides.  A few Parrotts were on the field also, in the 2.9" diameter (3" Parrots were not made yet).  Also, there was a few Wiard rifles on the field.  The ammunition for these guns had variations which will complicate identifing the shell your friend has.  The information you provide is very brief with no measurements and so cannot be identified.  A picture of the shell would help very much.  Knowing the diameter of the shell would help.  Use extreme caution when handling an old shell, remember the incident near Richmond VA, several years ago.

My best wild guess is a James Shell because that was the most used bullet shaped shell at Shiloh.  

Hope this helps,

Ron 

Perry,

I don't know the value of the shell and it can not be valued until the type of the shell and its condition is known.  I can tell you that there is a web site whose speciality is civil war projectiles.  Do a subject search but beware there are other sites as well.  Locally, in Shiloh/Savannah,  Riley Gunther and/or the Shiloh Relics shop can help.

Hope this helps.

Ron