Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
mtalplacido

Picture of Shiloh?

This was posted in another forum as being Shiloh.  I have never seen this one before.  Is it Shiloh?

13716088445_5cf3ce0232_b.jpg

• Title: Shiloh
  • Date Created/Published: [photographed between 1861 and 1865, printed between 1880 and 1889]
  • Medium: 1 photographic print on card mount : gelatin silver.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-32831 (digital file from original item) LC-BH8255-169 (b&w glass copy neg.)
  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
  • Call Number: LOT 4167, no. 43 [P&P]
  • Notes:
    • Title from item.
    • Part of Brady-Handy Collection.
    • Hand written on mount: Probably better captioned: Fort Burnham (previously Confederate Fort Harrison).

The answer is in the "notes" at the bottom of the citation, "Probably better captioned: Fort Burnham (previously Confederate Fort Harrison)." This fort was part of the Richmond defenses and is part of the Richmond National Battlefield. Also, the photo is part of the Brady-Handy Collection and Matthew Brady carried out his trade in the Eastern theater. I wonder who mis-labeled it as Shiloh??

Tom

Mike,

I would have voted against the photo being Shiloh.  The country is too openand too wide.  True, armies often cleared the land after they set up camp but I believe the area around the Shiloh hill remained wooded with much underbrush.  The answer is "No, its not"

Ron

Only two Shiloh Photos are known to exist and those are of the landing after the battle. There is a photo of Ft. Robinette at Corinth that has much of the same appearance as this photo but there are some distinct differences.