Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
WI16thJim

Weather

The drive down to Shiloh didn't lift my spirits as it usually does each spring. Instead of seeing increasing green as I travelled south, I had to wait until almost to Shiloh to see any at all. It did green up nice the week I was there, tho. Stacy Allen said the cold winter and cool, wet spring with it's late foliage was just like it was during the spring of 1862.

post-24-0-87578500-1397481029_thumb.jpg

This is marker #355 Anderson's Brigade at the hornets Nest. Note the marker in the woods, #419 for the 7th and 2nd Ark and the 3rd Conf. Inf. I don't ever remember seeing so far into the woods in past years.

Another example:

post-24-0-15886900-1397481259_thumb.jpg

Note the WI Mon. and marker in the background. 

It's common knowledge how the rains slowed the Rebel advance on the 4th &5th, but was the weather also against the Rebs by allowing better lines of fire due to little foliage on the 6th? Were the Yanks at an equal disadvantage during their attack on the 7th? These questions need to be explored by those with greater knowledge than I possess (Tom, Bjorn?). I do know the farmers used to burn the fields each spring, which would increase visibilty in some areas.

Jim

• Like 1

Very cool Jim, those turned out great!

Here are a couple of the pictures the Mrs. took during the anniversary.

One is Water Oaks Pond with a nice little twist in the color background, the other is shortly after the Fraley Field 5am hike in I wanna say Review Field, but I could be wrong,

post-331-0-11758600-1397527394_thumb.jpg

post-331-0-89458700-1397527405_thumb.jpg

I was up at the park during the anniversary.  Was doing the artillery demonstrations.  Several people touring the park stopped by to say the booms of the cannon added a pretty neat sound effect while they were other places on the battlefield.

Aside from the weather during the battle (temps, foliage, etc.), which I admittedly know little about, the weather down south in general has been widely varied just in the last ten years.  In years past, during the same time period close to the anniversary weekend, I have not only picked off ticks when I got home, but also during the event.  This year, not a single tick.  Being from central Alabama, the weather here is "pretty" close to that at Shiloh, roughly 3 hours away.  It is amazing how much difference there can be in foliage and undergrowth in just a week or two due to temperatures and rainfall amounts.  

Mother natural is a general in her own right.

Stan 

Stan,

On Monday morning I wrote a letter to the superintendent and copied it to the senior staff at the park. I gave high praise to the proffesionalism of your unit and the textbook fashion used to handle the single mis-fire. I also told them of your generosity in staying after the last program to haul away the cannon and limber, and to drop and stow the Sibley tents. If you guys had not helped we would heve been doing the work in the rain that came shortly after we finished. I saw Keith this afternoon and was alble to tell him these things and thank him again. You guys not only madae my job easy, but very enjoyable as well.

I look forward to your next vist and have already asked to be the black powder officer for the event.

All the best,

Tom

The foliage seems to be less advanced each year.  Based on this observation, I am afraid that the 2015 Anniversary will be held in the snow.

BTW, I did pick off a tick on April 7.

Tom,

Had a great time, that was the first mis-fire drill I had ever done!  Had trained on it before, but was rusty until the re-train we did.  The real life soldier in me was not afraid, but I WAS afraid as far as doing the correct steps by NPS standards.  Glad we were able to help "clean up" afterwards, we always stay behind to help with that, but glad we got it done before the rain set in.

Stan