Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Russian Tenant Field (Part 2)

Hello everyone

Thanks to all who contributed to the original Russian Tenant Field post.  Much information was posted by many and this has allowed me the pleasure of understanding the situation I hope.  It was explained that the spelling of names was often mixed up and/or changed.  Apparently this happened with the Russian Tenant Field when John (J C) Rushing's name was spelled as it sounded hence Russian.  He lived above the Snake Creek in District 11 where he owned a farm and lived there as he also farmed the field below the Snake Creek known as the Russian Tenant Field  This seems to be the best answer to my question "What was the Russian Tenant Field" and I'm going with this answer.  Several members have provided information of great value in solving the riddle including CD, Grandpa and Duane.  I value their imput because I think of them as local residents considering their family backgrounds.  I read all of the posts for the third time and this time I pieced them together and cross referenced the info.  The light went on in my head and I feel thrilled with the understanding they provided. 

Thank you all.

Ron

P. S. Now to get Trailhead Graphics to change the map of the battlefield, like thats going to happen. 

A further note about the Farmer John C Rushing.  He appears in the 1860 US federal Census on Page 160 of the census with a listing of p174-08.  The listing shows J C Rushing, father, age 39, Angeline, wife, age 24, Daughters Mary C, age 2 and Sarah, age 4 and son James A, age 8 months.  John Rushing worked both farms one above Snake Creek in district #11 and one below Snake Creek in District 15. 

I believe this solves the mystery of who worked the Russian Tenant Field.  This field is just north of the Battle of Shiloh battlefield.  

Ron

• Like 1