Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Woods Family

May I request your help in understanding where the various Woods' families lived?  Need your help CD, Grandpa, John and any others who can help.  There are many families with the name of Woods and I'm trying to place them on a map of Shiloh that i'm drawing up.  Who lived in the twin Cabins with their families?  I believe it to be John E Woods and W P Woods, is this correct?  They are in Civil District 10.  Can you confirm that Peter Woods lived in the Shady Grove area (District 10) where many family members took refugee?  Did James T Woods also live in the Shady Grove area?  Also, who is James Woods and wife Sarah J living in Civil District 15 and were neighbors of the Seays, Fraleys and the Widow Howell.  Where exactly was their house located?  What Woods owned the field that was located just below the Fraley field and the cotton press that was across the road.   

Please help me to understand the Woods family better as it is driving me crazy (oops I'm already there). 

Ron    

"Please help me to understand the Woods family better as it is driving me crazy (oops I'm already there)"

I know what you mean. When it comes to Shiloh, I've found it's gotten to be it fairly short drive for me.

Jim

I've been away from the site for some time, so am just now seeing this conversation. First the name is Wood, not Woods. Just one stick, not a pile. W.P. Wood lived in one of the 'two cabins'. I'm not sure about the other cabin. A Wood lived there, but I'm not sure of the name. James M. Wood owned the cotton press. His wife was Sarah Jane Seay, daughter of Lewis (Louis?) Seay for whom Seay field is named. Their house was near the cotton press, but as far as I know, the exact location is unknown. W.P. and James M. were brothers. W.P. was married to Sarah's sister Elizabeth. Peter Wood was an uncle to W.P. and James M. Peter was a baptist preacher, and his church building was at Shady Grove. Peter's house was approximately 1/2 mile away through the woods. If anyone has a copy of the old map that shows Peter Wood's spring, that will show about where he lived. The spring is still there. I'm pretty sure that James T. Wood was Peter's son, but I do not know where he lived but I do know that there was a house on the opposite side of the spring from Peter's house, and he may have lived there. C.D. and I knew the location of Peter's house many years ago, but now could probably only locate it within a hundred feet or so. Peter was C.D.'s great great grandfather. W.P. was my great grand father. C.D. could supply more infomation.

Also, on the cotton press and James Wood's house, look at this section of the Sesquicentennial map. It shows some buildings in Wood's Field. Could one of those be James' house (and how accurate is the map)?

post-66-0-27142500-1413340953_thumb.jpg

John

• Like 1

Great maps John! Are they online? Link? Why do almost all old Shiloh maps have west at the top? I can just see it now. Someone said "In the future, a Yank is going to come out of WI who is going to try and make sense out of this battle. One of our numerous plans to prevent this is that all maps will be rotated 90 degrees to the right." It's working.

Jim

Jim, I downloaded these and some other maps from a now-dead link that C.D. posted about 5 years ago. They're great high-res maps, but they're secure PDFs. Unless you're a better hacker than I am, you can't do anything with them except look at them on screen (which is all I want to do anyway). The images I posted above are screen captures. The Sesquicentennial Map is (or at least was) for sale at the park bookstore. It's a nice map, but I have a few issues with it. Like almost everyone else (including my own grandmother who was born in a house that was probably on Cloud Field), this map assumes incorrectly that Joseph Duncan lived in the cabin on Duncan Field at the time of the battle.

For now, the Library of Congress website seems to be a good source for maps. Start with this link: http://www.loc.gov/item/2006636339/. It takes a little exploration, but this page can lead you to all kinds of Shiloh maps. The "More Maps Like This" section on the lower right part of the page will help you find more maps. The blue text in the center of the page is search links that will help you find even more maps. On the left side of the page, you can right-click on one of the download options and choose "save target as" to save an image to your computer.

Sadly, this map orientation conspiracy appears to be a Union thing. I guess your guys noticed that our guys were a little directionally-challenged during the battle and wanted to keep us that way. Here's what I noticed:

Maps like this one bearing Gen. Beauregard's name are in the proper orientation:

http://www.loc.gov/resource/g3962s.cw0435300/

Maps like the one below bearing the names of Union generals--Grant and in this case Buell--are the ones in incorrect orientation. (The same is true of the the David Reed/Atwell Thompson maps and some other maps that refer to the Confederate army as "rebels" or "the enemy." However, I have seen one map identified as "Halleck map" that is in proper orientation.)

http://www.loc.gov/resource/g3964s.cw0435000/

This one wins the prize though. It turns the map upside down and places the legend sideways. And if you have any questions about which side this one came from, lay your head down on your keyboard and read the legend. 
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/image-services/jp2.py?data=/service/gmd/gmd396/g3964/g3964s/cw0435200.jp2&res=0

John

Also, on the cotton press and James Wood's house, look at this section of the Sesquicentennial map. It shows some buildings in Wood's Field. Could one of those be James' house (and how accurate is the map)?

attachicon.gifCottonPress.jpg

John

I've been so fascinated by the Battlefield America map that I had forgotten how useful the Sesquicentennial map set is.  Thanks or reminding me!

John,

Yes, that is the map I was referring to. Peter's house would have been about where the 't' is in Peter. However, the location of John Wood's place is somewhat inaccurate on the map. It was almost directly south of Peter's house, which would put it a little farther west than indicated on the map. I'm guessing that Shady Grove would be a little west of the 'o' in Bolling. John Wood's house was about halfway between Peter's house and Shady Grove. This map is the only reference that I have seen to the name Bolling. I can't tell if the map says Bolling ford or Bolling road. Could be both. If anyone knows about the Bolling name, please fill us in.

This Saturday is clean-up day at Shady Grove. There will be lots of good food. CD will be bringing a big pot of fresh turnip greens, and there will be plenty of cornbread. What started as a real clean-up has now become just a social gathering.

Grandpa

Grandpa, I blew up the map to 250%. It says Bolling's Ford. In one of my little drives to learn the area, I found myself on McNairy Dr. I found a little burg called Shady Grove. Is this the Shady Grove to which you are referring Grandpa?

Jim