Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Student of Sherman

First Visit To Corinth (Things to do & see?)

Planning on heading to Corinth for a few days for the holiday & am wondering about everyone's experiences that have been there, things to do & what to see, etc. I'm aware of the Interpretive center & national cemetery, but outside of the basics, is there really much to see & do in and around the area of Corinth? Thanks!

-Paul

Go to the Interpretive Center and ask Ranger Tom if he'll take you to the bottom of Oliver's Hill. The hike will cure you of asking for a second place to see! Actually, do go to the Interpretive Center. Tom, Jim, Rachael and the rest of the staff will point you towards more things to do and see than you'll ever manage to get done.

Jim

• Like 1

The Blue & Gray published a Visitors Guide for Shiloh with a narrative of the battle but it also has auto tours which describe the routes of the Confederates as they moved from Corinth to Shiloh. It also has a General tours of the houses used by the various Generals who resided in Corinth. It contains a tour to Fallen Timbers and even Nelson's march from Savannah to the landing on the east side of the river.

Hopefully it is still in print and the Corinth or Shiloh bookstores have it. If not, maybe they would make you a copy of the tour pages since they should have a copy. There are some structures (i recall at least one) along the routes that were there in 1862. I found tracing the Confederate routes to be interesting and informative.

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you both! I'll be sure to check those things out, hoping it won't be too hot out, but this time of year I'm sure I'll lose that battle, ha.

Also think we are gonna try to visit the Holly Springs Area  & Hillcrest Cemetery, several Generals from Franklin buried there. Might try to head a couple hours south to Friendship Cemetery if I have time, I know S.D Lee & other Confederate Generals are there as well, but we'll see.

-Paul

• Like 1