Shiloh Discussion Group
Perry Cuskey

Epic Trek with Tim 2014

Update -here's the payment link for the hike: http://shilohdiscussiongroup.com/index.php?/store/

*** Any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread, or by contacting me through private message. ***

We're officially set for our third annual Epic Trek with Tim weekend, as historian and former park ranger Tim Smith has agreed to lead us on another learning expedition through the park. This year's date for our get-together will be Saturday, November 8th. As with our previous treks with Tim, it will be an all-day affair, with lunch included. Unlike the previous treks however, this time we'll only be doing a single, day-long hike, instead of two hikes.

But I think you'll agree that one hike will more than fill the bill. We'll be following in the footsteps of Chalmers Brigade as they marched and fought their way through the roughest terrain on the battlefield, struggling their way through the ravines near the Tennessee River. This will be the most strenuous hike we've had with Tim, even more so than our first hike last year which covered some of the same area.

Despite this being our only hike of the day this year, we'll probably cover about the same total distance as each of the previous years. So roughly between 10 and 12 miles. The difference is that this time, flat and level ground will be far and away the exception and not the rule. I don't want to make it sound like we'll be backpacking through the Rockies or something, but we will be encountering some pretty big ravines during the hike.

We want everyone along who would like to join us, but I have to stress that this hike will include some very rough terrain for at least half of our hike if not more. It can be a real eye-opener to be out there and realize that people actually negotiated their way through such an area while being shot at. It's challenging enough even without bullets flying about. 

Bottom line, dress shoes or evening wear is probably not a good idea. :)

And if you're dealing with health issues or an injury of some sort at that time, I'd really have to recommend against joining us, as much as we'd love to have you along. We'll be in a very remote area for much of our hike. No one wants to get hurt or run into a problem, but if anything were to go wrong, it could be difficult to get help in a timely manner.

I don't want to scare anyone away - we absolutely want you to join us if you can do so. I just want to stress that this will be a pretty challenging hike.

We'll have more information soon, including a payment link to sign up for the hike. The cost will be the same as before, $30 for the day, and lunch is included free of charge. 

Thanks again to Tim for agreeing to join us. Those of you with us on previous hikes or have watched Tony's excellent videos know how great those hikes were, and how insightful they are. Tim puts a lot of time and thought into creating these hikes for us, and it shows. 

And also a big thanks to Mona for again helping to get everything arranged for us, including our all-important lunch-break. I darn sure needed it last year, and no doubt will again this time! 

Feel free to post questions or comments here. November will be here before you know it, so it's time for me to start getting in shape! :)

Perry

I just want to reinforce the rugged terrain of this years hike...and really there will not be an opportunity for one to quit and go back to the starting point......to the cars...This year  one might really be left in a ravine or better by the side of the road..Any suggestions  for lunch???The count down has begun!

• Like 1

Forgive me for inquiring, but when did the topic of Chalmers Brigade get settled as the topic for the Hike? If memory serves me correct, wasn't it put to voting/suggestions last year in order to gain several perspectives on what everyone wanted to see?

I only ask this, because if that is the case it is a bit baffling, this will be the 3rd time on a hike that the same (or close to) ground has been covered on a Tim Smith hike, no? The previous years have been:

• Bull Nelson's 2nd day advance through Dill Branch Ravine heading South
  • Last year with Albert Sydney Johnston covering the very southern/southeast part of the battlefield and then heading north (basically Chalmers movements to get into position)

So both have been covered, Dill Branch heading South....and then the following year, basically the opposite covered South to North on that side of the field.

I don't know, maybe I'm alone in this, but I just feel like that Eastern part of the battlefield has been hashed and rehashed enough with Tim Smith, is there really much he'll say or ground over there that hasn't already been explored or mentioned on a previous years hike?

No disrespect meant nor intended towards you Perry, Mona, or anyone else for that matter by bringing this up, I am, as everyone here always is, grateful for all event planning efforts made for this discussion group for these kind of events, but I felt I just had to bring this to the forefront and simply ask.

Thanks.

-Paul

Hi, Perry. 

Sorry to be off-subject.  Just wanted to say hello and get back in touch.  Are there scheduled chats on this site?  I have posted in a couple of places hoping to get back in touch with you and Belle.

I'll keep checking back.

Mugwump53

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback, and no problem about doing so.

I understand your point about covering the same ground, but I'd have to disagree a little. Our very first hike with Tim in 2012 followed Cleburne's brigade, and covered the western half of the battlefield pretty thoroughly, from just southwest of the park almost all the way to the river.

And last year's second hike on Beauregard followed along the Confederate defensive line on April 7th all the way across the battlefield, from our lunch site at Johnston's monument clear over to highway 22 and Jones Field. From there we treked south to the Crossroads before finishing up by the church and returning to our starting point at Shaw's.

So I agree that we'll be covering some of the same ground as last year, but not all of it by any means. Plus, as Bjorn said during one of the anniversary hikes a few years back, we could cover the same ground fifty times and tell a different story each time. And therefore see the ground in a slightly different light each time as well.

Our hike on Chalmers will likely include some of the same areas we covered last year, but the focus will be different. And we'll be covering areas not covered last year or on the Nelson hike a couple of years ago.

You have a valid point about asking for input on the hikes. The idea of following Chalmers was brought up last year by a couple of members, and was suggested again recently by email. Tim was fine with the idea, and it kind of intrigues me as well to tell the truth. I think it qualifies as a little unique even for Shiloh.

I probably should have asked for feedback on the board, but I've done so in the past and didn't get much of a response, so I didn't think skipping that would be an issue. Especially since I thought the idea for a hike on Chalmers was a very good one.

Hopefully we can keep having these gatherings going forward, if Tim remains willing, and I'll be sure to ask for input on future hike ideas. So you're right, and I appreciate you bringing it up.

I hope this addresses your concerns, Paul, and I hope you can join us again this year.

Perry

Hi, Perry. 

Sorry to be off-subject.  Just wanted to say hello and get back in touch.  Are there scheduled chats on this site?  I have posted in a couple of places hoping to get back in touch with you and Belle.

I'll keep checking back.

Mugwump53

Hey there Mugsy! :)

I responded to your message on my profile page and posted a reply to you under a different topic a day or two ago I think. If you're not getting email notifications you might check your spam folder, as I think the default setting for members is to receive notifications on replies. Let me know if you're not receiving them.

Just a quick introduction for everyone, Mugwump here was in charge of a topic on presidents and first ladies over on Suite101 several years back. And his Civil War bonafides are bonafide. :)

Thank you Perry for clarification, I appreciate it, as always.

I am aware of what each year has consisted of program wise, I was simply referring to those individual programs that have dealt specifically with the eastern part of the battlefield, so forgive me if I made it seem as if "all hikes have been the same", most assuredly they have not, as you brought up.

Paul, the real reason Perry stopped asking for hike suggestions is that he is aware there is a keen interest on hikes centered around the 16th WI and for some reason refuses to acknowledge that fact!

Jim

Hi, Perry.

Got your message and welcome.  Where is the appropriate place to post a personal message to an individual without interfering with everyone else?

I am not getting email notifications.  What should I do to correct that?  Also, is there a regularly scheduled chat? 

I taught another Civil War class this year (we offer it as an elective every second year).  It would have been great if I had discovered this site earlier.  The students would have enjoyed it greatly.

I'll be around on a regular basis and I am looking forward to it.

Mugsy

John, you can send someone a private message by clicking on their screen name. That should bring up their profile page, and from there just click the option to send a message. A link to the member list is along the top of the screen, but you have to be signed onto the board to access it.

On your notification options, click your screen name near the top-right of rhe screen, and choose "My Settings." Along the left of rhe next screen should be "Notification Options." You can then check or uncheck the options you want. You should be good to go then! :)

We don't have a regular chat session scheduled, but I'll be in the chat roo this Saturday for about an hour, around 9:00 eastern. Stop in and say howdy. :)

Hi Maxwell. Tim is still working on the details of the hike, but more than likely we'll be starting outside the park near the jumpin-off point for Chalmers brigade. Mona or I will post more about that as soon as.we know for sure. The plan right now is to meet up at the church, then hitch a pre-arranged ride to our starting point. But again, we'll be updating the information here as we go. So you'll want to check periodically. And feel free to ask any other questions. Thanks! :)

Just a quick FYI, but if you're planning on joining us in November, you should be aware that rooms at the Days Inn and Quality Inn over in Savannah are going fast. I'm guessing because it's hunting season, but whatever the case, if you plan on staying in one of those two spots you might want to book your room pretty soon. There are other options in the area of course, but those usually seem to be the most popular. 

Perry

Nice, Perry. Was looking at the November calendar and working up to telling she who must be obeyed what the plans were until I realized that there is no way I can walk for a day.

One last question: Can the trail be negotiated with a motorized chair?

Ha,  no problem Ole. Good to see you stopping by. :) 

As for the motorized chair question, I'm afraid not, but by the time we get finished, I might be wishing I'd tried it that way. :)

Perry

Adam, that's still kind of up in the air. But Amazon has the book available for pre-order now at a 22% discount off of the advertised price. The name of the book is Shiloh: Conquer or Perish. Release date on Amazon of October 26th.

P.S. - Got you down for the hike. :)

Anybody have any plans for Sunday, November 9?  I've pretty much made the decision to drive down to Hardin County from western Pennsylvania, which is a long drive.  It is a little hard to justify for a single day's hike.

I am comtemplating making a shorter hike on Sunday, possibly covering the movements of S.A.M. Wood's Brigade on April 6.  I believe that Bjorn Skaptason led such a hike in 2012, but I had to drop out of it early due to having ruined my feet on Gentsch's Death Stroll the day before.

I would be delighted if others want to join me (I won't have anywhere near the insights of Skaptason or a Gentsch).  I would be pleased to join an alternate excursion also.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Glad to hear you'll be joining us for the hike, although we don't have anything formal setup for Sunday. It wouldn't surprise me if a few other folks decide to spend some extra time in the park on Sunday, although by the time we're done on Saturday it might feel like completing a death march of sorts for some feet and legs. :)

Woods brigade would make for a nice little hike itself, so that would be a good one. And just as an FYI, I'm hoping to set something up next year just for the group members either on Friday before our hike with Tim on Saturday (if we can rope him in again next year ;)), or on Sunday. I'm leaning toward Friday right now. But it's a ways off yet. :)

Perry