Shiloh Discussion Group
Sign in to follow this  
Butler56

Cyrus Ballard, 54th OVI

I am trying to locate Cyrus Ballard of the Company B, 54th OVI.  He was born on 12-7-33, enlisted on 9-16-61, and was married to a Henrietta Weifel Ballard.  He was my paternal grandmothers Uncle.  (Grandma Butler was a Ballard.)  Henrietta remarried and had several children with her second husband.  She was denied a civil war survivors pension.  I am fairly confident of these statements.

Now comes the unknown but stuff I read:  He contracted small pox leading up to or while encamped at  Pittsburg Landing.  He went to a hospital in Memphis and later Iowa City. He died in Iowa City either in late 1862 or early 1863.  Some records show he deserted.  No one seems to know where he is buried. 

I have looked on Ancestry, Fold3, and find a grave.  Bjorn suggested talking to Charlie at Shiloh NMP which I have not done yet.

Any idea on where to go from here?

Bruce

Champaign, IL

Bruce

I've had a quick look, and found verification of Cyrus Ballard as a Private in the 54th OVI, Co. B, on the following sites:

* Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database at <www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm>

* Ohio Civil War Roster at <www.ogs.org.research/search_ohcwss.php>

Checked my prisoner of war files, and he is not listed.

Am presently attempting to get online access to the 'Ohio Adjutant General Report of 1888,' in particular, Series 4 (Adj Gen roll of voluntary militia); series 17 (Adj Gen roll of discharged soldiers, 1863-1865); series 32 (Surgeon General, Hospital Register, western theatre); series 2110 (volunteer enlistment papers); series 1774 (Adj Gen descriptive rolls); and series 1777 (Certificates of Service).

The good news: there is confirmation of the information you have already discovered. The better news: the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database has the film number for Cyrus Ballard (M552 roll 4), allowing you to contact NARA (National Archives) directly, via Form 86 (Military Service Records). At a cost of about $30 NARA will provide copies of all the documents they have on file (usually about 10-15 pages).

I will continue to search for an online archive site, and let you know in the next couple of days how I go.

Happy hunting

Ozzy

• Like 1

post-550-0-11565700-1406351289_thumb.jpgpost-550-0-11565700-1406351289_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Via my ancestry.com site, got access to 'US Civil War Draft Registration Records, 1863-1865 [compiled June/July 1863 for civilians; compiled March 3rd, 1863 for persons in the military]' volume 4 of 4, page 36 of 725, and found Cyrus Ballard listed as 'military member,' but in 58th OVI.

Then got access to Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865, vol. 1-12, Akron, Ohio: Werner Printing and Mfc. Co., 1888, and checked every name in the 58th OVI: no Cyrus Ballard listed, so regiment details entered in Draft Registration record probably a misprint. Did find Cyrus Ballard listed in 54th OVI, Co. B, with age of 27 at time of enlistment 16 Sep 1861, for three years service. No other information recorded for Cyrus Ballard, although most neighboring soldiers had extensive notes recorded. (Pages 1622-1634).

In Civil War Pension Index, General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934, [baldwin-Bangert], page 2402 of 4793, found application for Cyrus Ballard, with Henrietta Willing listed as widow in 1917, and minor child Charlie Banor (or Banon or Baron) listed 1879. Will attempt to attach that record to this post.

Still searching...

Ozzy 

• Like 1

Thank you, this is great.  I know his widow applied for a pension but could not verify if she got it or not.  I am tracking several people now (I am new to this but have been bitten badly by the genealogical bug), but I believe there is another Cyrus Ballard that ended up in Illinois.  I look forward to what you find.

Bruce

I have also found Ballards, Bollards and Bullards during the past 24 hours, in Illinois, Iowa, Montana and elsewhere, but they can all be easily discounted as NOT being Cyrus Ballard. (I check for alternative spellings, due to my own family, with fifteen known mispellings of the last name.)

As for NARA, having the Film number and Roll number allows access to everything the National Archives possesses on an individual, all copied on microfilm many years ago. I have obtained records for several family members, and the fewest records received was 15 pages; the most, 35 pages. Valuable details include pay dates (usually a pay muster held, requiring physical presence to draw pay); other 'muster dates' (again, physical presence required, at that TIME and LOCATION); copy of page from 'Company Descriptive Book' (contains height, weight, hair and eye color, etc); presence on 'Sick List' and 'Admission to Hospital,' just to name a few items of interest. Definitely worth $30 and usually takes 4-6 weeks to receive in the mail.

What I am currently investigating: other Iowa towns where Cyrus Ballard may have ended up. The following towns had hospitals (and cemeteries) used by sick and wounded soldiers after the Battle of Shiloh: Keokuk, Burlington, Muscatine, Davenport, Dubuque, Iowa City. Also checking St Louis, MO, Cairo, IL, and Mound City, IL. There are also river towns along the Ohio where sick and wounded soldiers were sent.

After discovering St Louis had a special 'Smallpox Hospital' on Johnson's Island in 1862, I checked Memphis and found the 'Smallpox Hospital' was part of the state-run Memphis Hospital, in late 1862, after an epidemic of Smallpox. There are fifteen other known hospitals in Memphis during the Civil War, and at one time over 5000 sick and wounded Union soldiers there (after the Federal occupation of Memphis, June, 1862.) The major hospitals are 'Washington,' 'Gayoso,' 'Overton,' and 'Woolen Building Hospital.' A complete list can be found at Memphis and the Civil War... in vintage drawings and photos website <www.historic-memphis.com/memphis-historic/civil-war-memphis/civil-war-memphis.html>

According to Frederick H. Dyer's Compendium of the War of the Rebellion: Regimental Histories, found at <www.perseus.tufts.edu> the 54th OVI was involved in a march on Memphis, from June 1st to July 21st, 1862. The regiment was then assigned duty at Memphis, until November 1862. (U.S. Grant was at Memphis, beginning June 23rd.) So, it makes sense for Cyrus Ballard to be at Memphis, around that time.

That's all I have, at the moment. Checking a few other potential leads today.

Regards

Ozzy

• Like 1

Ozzy, after you finish your present project helping Bruce, I would really appreciate it if you could find any info on my grandfather, John Oates, Co. I, 16th WI Vol. He got sick after Shiloh and was sent to the Division hospital, where he got worse, so they sent him to St. Louis, which sent him home to die. I've found an old newspaper newspaper article from 1862 that tells of four soldiers coming home to WI from Shiloh3, three officers, who are named, and a private from Hazel Green, his home town. I have a major info gap from when he got ill until he returns in time for the Battle of Corinth.

Thanks (Your a great addition to this group)

Jim

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between NARA form 85 and 86?  I may have misread some information and ordered a form 85 ($80) for my GG Charles Butler.  Did I make s mistake?

Bruce

I went on to NARA site, and discovered 'Form 85' provides information regarding pension application documentation and bounty land application records. As you appear to have all of that information (and no bounty land was acquired), the 'Form 86' is the one you want to use. And still with a price of $30.

(I messed up my first attempt, too. I still keep the form, as a reminder how NOT to do it.) Once NARA has your request, they are pretty efficient. A couple of their 'request sites' are slow, due to traffic.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Bruce

In the search for Cyrus Ballard, these are the bits I've discovered most recently:

1)  Henrietta Wesle Ballard married Frederick Willing 11 August 1864. This is important, as you know, because it puts a full stop to Cyrus. He had to have passed on before that date. And, due to European custom of not re-marrying until at least one year had passed, Cyrus probably died before August 1863 (not a certainty, but a strong probability.) And, she had to know it was true: how did she find out?

2)  SGT Charles Bennett and SGT Thomas Bennett are listed as being members of the 54th OVI, Co. B. Are these cousins of Cyrus Ballard, through his mother's family? It was common for family members to join the same company together. If these men are relatives, one or both would know what happened to Cyrus, and may have written about it (letter or diary.) If a Bennett Family Tree exists, the current Historian of the family may have information.

3)  More general information about Memphis. The Sanitary Commission (an organization that provided relief and support to hospitalized Union soldiers) had contracted the use of a paddle steamer: Sir William Wallace. It made frequent trips up river, sometimes carrying sick/wounded soldiers requiring special care. On return to Memphis, it would bring bandages, medicines, food, and blankets.

If Cyrus was hospitalized in Memphis in November 1862, there is a possibility he was moved north on the Sir William Wallace (or another steamboat tasked with the same duty.) In November, the Upper Mississippi closes to river traffic, due to ice; so the steamer would most likely stop at St Louis or Cairo. (There is evidence for the Wallace leaving Cairo in January 1863, bound for Memphis: 'Affairs on the Mississippi,' from New York Times of January 26th, 1863.) The railroad ran north from Cairo, crossed the Mississippi at Davenport, and continued to Iowa City in 1862.

Also, in the Sanitary Commission Charter, one of their directives stipulates 'they will demand copies of all hospital records be sent to the Surgeon General's Office at Washington, D.C., and preserved there.' (Additionally, every State was supposed to have been given a 'Directory,' listing hospitalized soldiers attached to regiments raised in that State.)

When you submit your NARA request, (I did all of mine via the Postal System), I would leave 'Date of Death' blank, and 'Place of Death' blank; but in 'Comments' box, indicate 'Hospital in Memphis, 1862-1863' (as a place they might look for additional information.)

Hope your request provides the information you are seeking.

Ozzy

• Like 1

Jim

I've been looking... Any time I find something marked 16th Wisconsin, I make mention in a post (such as the extensive references to 16th WI in Scapegoat of Shiloh.)

At what date, and with what record, do you lose the trail of John Oates? With what record do you pick it up again?

In the meantime, have you checked 'Letters from Tennessee: eyewitnesses to the Civil War?' Website <www.midtneyewitnesses.com/eyewitness-book-series/shiloh/federals-m-z>  in 'Federals (M-Z)'  scroll down to 'Vail, LT David F, 16th WI'  Well worth a read, for the story of wounded soldier care, after the Battle of Shiloh, and where they ended up. (The other articles included are interesting, too, if you have the time.)

Yours in the hunt

Ozzy

All of my info on his illness after Shiloh comes from his pension records. He has some large statements in it and the friend he joined up with, served with and went west with after the war wrote a three page statement that is in there. I've never found any hospital records (I think this is due to the weaknesses of the researcher). I've also been to the archive room of the WI Historical Society and read the regimental reports. As an aside, one file has Col. Allen's hand written report on Shiloh in it. And then the 1862 article in the Grant County (WI) Herald. I will definitely check out the web site. Thanks.

Jim

It is fascinating what you have been able to find.  Going back to the forms, I already sent the wrong, more expensive form.  Should I try to cancel it since I just sent it last Thursday? 

Bruce,

Sorry, I've got nothing for you, I just wanted to share that a fellow board member also had someone in the 54th Ohio. My great-great-grandfather's brother, Cyrus McCoy, fought at Shiloh as a corporal. When he took his discharge at the end of his three years he was the captain of Company A.

Tom

• Like 1

Bruce

Having never seen the results of a Form 85 enquiry, I do not know how to advise you. Potentially, the information retrieved should contain a record of payments (if any were made) to Charles (Carl) as surviving minor child; and Henrietta, who appears to have qualified as 'Re-married Widow' in 1917. There is a possibility the records could include 'cause of death,' 'time and place of death...' but I am guessing, here.

Has anyone else received results from a Form 85 enquiry?

Ozzy

• Like 1

Jim

What were the names of the three officers who travelled north from St Louis with John Oates, and when did they leave? I may be able to find information on John via records they left behind.

Ozzy

Ozzy,

I spent about 90 minutes tonight on ancestry looking for the Bennetts.  Cyrus' mother Elizabeth died in 1837 and his father married her sister Susannah in 1838.  These sisters had two brothers: John (1792-??) and Thomas (1810-1840).  Nothing else on them so far.  No spouse, no children, at least so far. Little luck looking directly for the two Sgt. Bennetts so far either.

Bruce

Bruce

The Charles Bennett I am investigating indicated he was 28 years old when he enlisted in the 54th OVI, Co. B, as a Private, on 12 Dec 1861. He was promoted to Corporal on 22 Jan 1864, and promoted to Sergeant on 25 Oct 1864  (from Roster of the 54th OVI, published 1888, mentioned in previous post.)

The 1860 Census for Scioto township, Pickaway county, Ohio lists Charles Bennett, age 31, at Dwelling 221, living with wife, Sarah (28) and children John (10), Franklin (6) and Mary (4) on page 32 of 39. On page 33 of 39, at Dwelling 225, is listed Thornton Ballard (66) with wife Susannah (55) and son Thomas (16) and daughter Sarah (6). (There are a number of 'unoccupied dwellings' listed, indicating the family was not at home when the census-taker arrived, on 14 June 1860.)

The 1860 Census for Jackson township, Franklin county, Ohio was conducted two months later, on August 11th. There is a Charles Bennett, age 31, at Dwelling 464, living with wife Sarah (26) and children John (11), Franklin (6) and Mary (4) on page 21 of 51. To me, this appears to be the same Charles Bennett, having moved from Pickaway to Franklin county. On page 26 of 51, at Dwelling 502 is William Ballard (33) with wife Catherine (33) and a number of children, most significantly, Fountain (9). To me, the odds of naming a child 'Fountain,' with no connection to Thornton Ballard, are pretty high, so I assume this is a family member. On page 41 of 51, recorded at Dwelling 624 with Joseph and Hannah Cone, is Frederick Willing (25) and his brother, John (21). As in the census record for Pickaway county, there are a number of 'unoccupied dwellings' listed (which may be the reason I cannot find Cyrus and Henrietta Ballard in the 1860 census.)

Using the wife and children of Charles Bennett, you should be able to trace backwards and see if there is a family connection to Ballard, Then, you will have to use military service records, (available on ancestry.com) to determine if the Charles Bennetts found are all one and the same.

Hope this is of use

Ozzy

• Like 1

Bruce

Just completed research on the Charles Bennett, listed in 1860 Census. He is a different man to SGT Charles Bennett in 54th OVI. 1860-census Charles Bennett is listed as a Private in the 95th OVI, Co. C, enlisted 7 Aug 1862, age 34. He was wounded during a skirmish at Richmond, Kentucky, and discharged, due to medical disability, in October 1864, at Memphis. (Due to his proximity to Thornton Ballard in Pickaway county, he may still be related.)

Still looking for information on the two SGT Bennetts in 54th OVI...

Ozzy

• Like 1

Ozzy, I found the news article on the three officers and my grandfather @ newspaperarchive.com. I have it in my notes which edition, but I'm 600 miles away from them.

Jim 

Bruce

Stumbled upon this website: Ross County Ohio Genealogy Trails at <genealogytrails.com/ohio/ross/rossco_bios1.html>

Carl Ballard has his own listing (8th entry down) and includes a reference to Cyrus Ballard. (Appears to be Carl's recollection of what happened to his father.)

I came upon this website as I was attempting to find Fountain Thornton Ballard's grave site. Do you know where Thornton is buried? There is a small possibility that Cyrus is buried there, too. Worth checking, anyway.

Ozzy

Family History Buffs...

I've had a look at the two Wisconsin sites available to WI16thJim : Wisconsin Veterans Museum  <www.wisvetsmuseum.com>  and Wisconsin Historical Society at  <www.wisconsinhistory.org>   Quite impressive, with an ever-increasing amount of information available online. (I even discovered a relative in the 44th WI... go figure.)

Some States are outstanding at preserving and providing free access to their historical and family/genealogical records. You only find out by poking around and trying. Some counties are quite good (Delaware county, Iowa, is an example.) There are also State Encyclopedias : Georgia and Tennessee have excellent encyclopedias. Dubuque, Iowa has a city encyclopedia <www.encyclopediadubuque.org>  (Because the 'Governor's Greys' formed in Dubuque, and evolved into the First Iowa Volunteer Infantry, (a 3-month regiment), this resource contains much useful information for Iowa researchers. After the Battle of Wilson's Creek, the 1st Iowa disbanded, and its former members ended up leading a number of subsequent Iowa regiments, including several at Shiloh (shameless plug :) ))

Some universities have opened up their records to free, public online access. The ones that have been of benefit to me:

• University of Iowa  <digital.lib.uiowa.edu>  (civil war diaries, letters, rare books)
  • Iowa State University  <www.lib.iastate.edu>  (diaries)
  • Ohio State University  (OR the Official Records of the Civil War, in their entirety)
  • Notre Dame  (see 'Mary writes about Shiloh' for access info)  (letters and diaries)
  • University of Alabama, through 'Acumen'  <acumen.lib.ua.edu>  (letters, diaries, CSA regimental information)
  • University of Georgia, in partnership with 'Digital Library of Georgia'  <dlg.galileo.usg.edu>  (letters, diaries, CSA archives)

Other sites:

• <chroniclingamerica.loc.gov>  sponsored by Library of Congress, an extensive collection of newspapers
  • <www.perseus.tufts.edu>  an online American history resource, with detailed Civil War information
  • <babel.hathitrust.org>  an extensive library of out-of-copyright books, complete content provided
  • <www.nps.gov>  The National Park Service site

These are some of my favorites...

Anyone else willing to share?

Ozzy

• Like 1